GDT: Quarterfinal - May 18 - Canada (2) vs Germany (1)

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Solid goaltending with Greiss and Gruby
Some promising young players
Quarters last year
Quarters this year
Conclusion: It's going in the rigth direction. Slowly. Very slowly. Like a slug or the continental drift^^
Well said. :nod:
Tiffels is the #1 surprise for Team Germany for me, excited to see how it goes for him in NA..

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
As Long as the DEL is an all physical sluggfest no skill league nothing will ever change.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
biggest blessing in disguise for Canada..... Barrie getting hurt, Blues getting knocked out of playoffs and Parayko joining the team

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
biggest blessing in disguise for Canada..... Barrie getting hurt, Blues getting knocked out of playoffs and Parayko joining the team

Nah, would have been better if we had Barrie too. Parayko was joining the team before the injury.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Okay let' be honest normaly a game like this one Ends 7-0.
The game showed brutaly how unskilled German Players are.
The Problem is: The game Ends only 1:2 and the media makes it look like this was an amazing Performance by the Team. For the future of hocky a honest 7-o would have been better. There reallys need to be a Major shift in our development programms as well as in the DEL.

No it isn't. Germany making it to the QF and losing by just one goal, regardless how it was achieved, as well as positive reporting is, what will get more kids to play. Which is the main thing German development programs need.

It's not like Marko Sturm was standing at the sideline thinking to himself: I see two equally good teams. Seriously, could not possibly tell a difference with the naked eye. :laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Quarters last year
Quarters this year
Conclusion: It's going in the rigth direction. Slowly. Very slowly. Like a slug or the continental drift^^

The new generation is going to be MUCH better than this one. Of course defence will be an issue when Ehrhoff and Seidenberg retire.

But Bokk, Rieder, Kühnhackl, Napravnik, Michaelis, Gawanke, Wiederer, Eisenschmid, Sturm, Tuomie, Kahun, Tiffels, and Kälble are WAY BETTER than the likes of Reul, Hördler, Ehliz, Fauser, Macek, and Kink.

Only passable players on this team for me are Reimer, Schultz, Wolf, Plachta, Gogulla, and Hager. And I believe the younger generation is more skilled, for sure on the smaller side, but more skilled.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Okay let' be honest normaly a game like this one Ends 7-0.
The game showed brutaly how unskilled German Players are.
The Problem is: The game Ends only 1:2 and the media makes it look like this was an amazing Performance by the Team. For the future of hocky a honest 7-o would have been better. There reallys need to be a Major shift in our development programms as well as in the DEL.

That's just nonsense. Losing 0-7 to Canada would change nothing at all. Canada IS vastly superior, they have about 20 times as many hockey players as Germany does, why exactly would you expect a drastic change in the development programs from a result that would be completely normal?

Keeping Canada to a 1-2 is a phantastic performance, no matter how they got there. It's just odd to suggest otherwise.

That being said, there is a huge difference in skill level, though no development program will do something about that. You might as well ask the Canadian soccer federation to drastically reshape their development program because they can't keep up with Germany. It's just a completely unrealistic expectation.

Germany clearly doesn't have many players who can keep up with the pace of the best. Some players, like Reimer, were a complete no-show today and couldn't play the puck at all. Others simply didn't pay enough attention or were to slow in their reactions, and thus had the puck stolen time and time again. But the thing is, this isn't something that will ever change, nor is this an opponent you should use as comparison. Switzerland, Slovakia, Latvia, these are the nations Germany should compete with. Development certainly could improve quite a bit, and you could set a target for being on the same skill-level as Switzerland, but even that wouldn't lead to huge changes in the grand scheme of things.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
That's just nonsense. Losing 0-7 to Canada would change nothing at all. Canada IS vastly superior, they have about 20 times as many hockey players as Germany does, why exactly would you expect a drastic change in the development programs from a result that would be completely normal?

Keeping Canada to a 1-2 is a phantastic performance, no matter how they got there. It's just odd to suggest otherwise.

That being said, there is a huge difference in skill level, though no development program will do something about that. You might as well ask the Canadian soccer federation to drastically reshape their development program because they can't keep up with Germany. It's just a completely unrealistic expectation.

Germany clearly doesn't have many players who can keep up with the pace of the best. Some players, like Reimer, were a complete no-show today and couldn't play the puck at all. Others simply didn't pay enough attention or were to slow in their reactions, and thus had the puck stolen time and time again. But the thing is, this isn't something that will ever change, nor is this an opponent you should use as comparison. Switzerland, Slovakia, Latvia, these are the nations Germany should compete with. Development certainly could improve quite a bit, and you could set a target for being on the same skill-level as Switzerland, but even that wouldn't lead to huge changes in the grand scheme of things.

The Problem is how the game is teached and played in Germany. Just go and watch an DEL game and then go and watch an Extraleague game in the Czech Republique. That's almost a different Sport. I don't excpect German Teams to compete with Canada but i think we could look a lot better with a different Approach.

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
The Problem is how the game is teached and played in Germany. Just go and watch an DEL game and then go and watch an Extraleague game in the Czech Republique. That's almost a different Sport. I don't excpect German Teams to compete with Canada but i think we could look a lot better with a different Approach.

Can you explain please? I'm curious.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

I think you can be optimistic about Germany, especially when you compare them where they were ten years ago. Development has gotten better, they just produced a world class player in Leon, and are keeping a competitive atmosphere at every age group and level.

And Strum as their national team coach will bring in A LOT of good advice, techniques, and coaching style from what he has learned in the NHL. I do admit that coaching in lower leagues still needs improvement, but that should eventually come.

Germany Federation has a plan (that 2022 idea) and it's something you can follow, practice, and eventually reach those goals. And Germany doesn't even need to compete with football as it's main nemesis for players, it has to compete against handball, volleyball, and American sports. Much more simpler and easier to accomplish.

PenDuhNotPittsburgh

May 13, 2017
Krefeld

somewhat true. The US suck at football/soccer cause they put physicly strong players on their youth teams and focus on short term success.
Meanwhile in Germany the focus is more on developing individuals' skills, instead of short term success. Plus youth players will stick on the pitch just for fun doing the fancy stuff and working on their technik.

In hockey it's the other way around. Youth teams are so focused on short term success that Germany is mostly producing these two way forwards. You don't have these outstanding talents with soft hands. Even the players who made it to the nhl are two way forwards like Rieder or Kuhnhackl. It's cause coaches will tell youth players over and over that they have to work in the corners, so their team has short term success. In the meantime kids forget that hockey is a game and you need to be able to actually PLAY the game

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
In hockey it's the other way around. Youth teams are so focused on short term success that Germany is mostly producing these two way forwards. You don't have these outstanding talents with soft hands. Even the players who made it to the nhl are two way forwards like Rieder or Kuhnhackl. It's cause coaches will tell youth players over and over that they have to work in the corners, so their team has short term success. In the meantime kids forget that hockey is a game and you need to be able to actually PLAY the game
Sounds like the same issue Finnish development had for a decade or so at least, but obviously in sligtly different scale due to bigger material pool.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Parayko would have replaced Lee. The team would be better with both Barrie and Parayko.

I didn't see the game, but I liked hearing that Canada took it to Germany at the end of the game. Canada has taken several unneeded losses at this tournament in the last ten years due to sitting back with a lead.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
A lopsided 2-1 win.

Onto the semis.

You took the words out of my mouth. I said the same thing to my cousin when watching the game. Looking forward to another Russia-Canada classic. Some bad luck is the reason that Canada did not win this game like 6-1.

Last edited:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You took the words out of my mouth. I said the same thing to my cousin when watching the game. Looking forward to another Russia-Canada classic. Some bad luck is the reason that Canada did not win this game like 6-1.

Puck possession was the thing, they controlled it all game long pretty much. The game really should have been 6 or 7 one like you said.

2-1 is oh so flattering to the Germans, if you hadn't watched the game and just saw the score you would have said the Germans must have played the Canadians very well, but the reality was Canada killed them all afternoon long.

Russia next, if they can play the same way with the same intensity they showed today I am confident they will win.........but only if Pickard actually plays well. Russia is not germany and they are going to get their prime chances, he either shows he is up to the task of not losing the game for us or not.

Pickard will be the difference IMO, if he plays solid I think we move on, if he doesn't we are toast.

I did not like what I saw on the German goal though.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Quarters last year
Quarters this year

I watched all the German games live. They can't be happy with the way they've played. srs.

In the USA victory they turtled around Greiss for 20 shots against in the 3rd alone.
Latvia game was so close with 2 amazing saves by Gruby and imho 1 German goal was offside and the last PP was a gift.
Again in the Canada game a 30 shot differential and allowing 20+ shots in one period.

They've got to improve their system a LOT. They have some good players, but are being absolutely dominated. In the Canada game the will was there, the fight, and the physical play. But seriously they were just torn apart all over the rink. 2-1 was unbelievable.

I'm saying this in the form of constructive criticism. You're not going to win playing hockey like that.... maybe I'm wrong and the German Turtle will become the next big system? :popcorn:

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
0052204917d6c2fbc74e94c74dfb5b53.jpeg

I have a question (probably three years or so late, but still...)

Who is the German player in the back? I know it's Konrad Abeltshauser in the front, and the Canadian player is Colton Parayko, but who's the German player in the back? Maybe some German fans can recognize his face? Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad