GDT: Quarterfinal - May 17 - USA vs Czech Republic

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

It is amazing to me that you guys haven't won a World's since 33 and Olympics since 80.. I'd say you have the second largest talent of pool in the world (behind Canada) and all your Junior success should translate to so many more gold medals. I get the US doesn't care that much about this tourney but your pool is so deep that I think you should be able to go on one hell of a run.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs played tough, I hated a lot of the no calls, but the US missed on so many chances their own fault again it was close into the 2nd period.

Very good things ahead for the Czechs, Zadina is coming and you have other young guys like Kaut that will only get better...Hockey on the World stage needs another elite team, and if you start getting some defensemen to make it, you guys will get there again.
We have a constant and steady stream of wingers... Centres gets a little thinner... D gets damn near marginal... goalies, we have a shitload of prospects and get a few drafted every year (I assume Dostal and Skarek get drafted this year as well) but nothing that looks like a starter next year.

We're much better, IMO, than 7 through 12 but sit alone in 6th place in a very weird place. For instance, if we had beat you guys we may have lost the next 2 games. States beat us and can still win gold.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
don't want to imply the Czechs deserved to win, but that's a different game without Kane in there. at least now I don't have to worry about the SF and can get my f***ing work done :(

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
don't want to imply the Czechs deserved to win, but that's a different game without Kane in there. at least now I don't have to worry about the SF and can get my ****ing work done :(

I don't like these arguments... no rule against having good players. When someone tells me Czechs won in Nagano because of Hasek I get pissed. A: Canada had Roy in net and B: we are allowed to have world class players. Good for the States for having Kane (and Matthews, Eichel... ). Best way to beat them is to develop equally good players.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I don't like these arguments... no rule against having good players. When someone tells me Czechs won in Nagano because of Hasek I get pissed. A: Canada had Roy in net and B: we are allowed to have world class players. Good for the States for having Kane (and Matthews, Eichel... ). Best way to beat them is to develop equally good players.

Hm, maybe you missed the part where I specifically said I was not arguing that. Kane just specifically stuck out as a difference-maker. The kind Pastrňák and Krejčí were in the game against Russia, the kind we were kind of missing tonight, the player who is constantly creating chances and turns an improbable one into a goal, multiple times.

JTD

Apr 7, 2016
USA
Entertaining game but the officiating display today was an absolute disgrace. The missed high stick that cut Jaskin and Czechs got away with some blatant interference penalties. Officiating this year seems like it’s 10x worse than usual

Reactions: TheNip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad