GDT: Quarterfinal - May 17 - Sweden vs Latvia

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Latvia boring. Swedes has explode in offensive fun hockey for 7 games. Latvia just kulled the fun. Boooring.

Greece football EChamps...

Reactions: bDtKarlsson

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
OMG this was awful. Latvia tried to kill ice hockey las night. with defense, diving and nagging on the swedes although they hockey swedes 10 times but didn't get called. Swedes got called for calls where Latvia players fumbles and stumbled on their on feet. Embarrassing. Lost respect for Latvia. Especially the coach. He killed hockey.
Great that swedes was to good to make it. I did not want to watch anotother of this type of game ever more.

Reactions: DDRhockey

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
The way i see it:
2 bogus minor penalty calls on Sweden
1 bogus whistle to nullify Latvia's goal.
One wasted goalie interference challenge.

Now please don't take penalties. Play simple.
it was several more penalties that were silly, although latvia could get 10 penalties for hooking, they got one or none? Bad referring all night. but have a good day.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Great game by Elvis! he had his blue suede shoes on and didnt let anyone step on them.. or something. He was realy good.

Sweden had a hard time solving the defence of Latvia.

Reactions: Reynys and Kalv

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The first period was very poor from Sweden, no effort, but the rest of the game was OK, Latvia is apparently a tough team to score on.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
OMG this was awful. Latvia tried to kill ice hockey las night. with defense, diving and nagging on the swedes although they hockey swedes 10 times but didn't get called. Swedes got called for calls where Latvia players fumbles and stumbled on their on feet. Embarrassing. Lost respect for Latvia. Especially the coach. He killed hockey.
Great that swedes was to good to make it. I did not want to watch anotother of this type of game ever more.

Latvia played like they had to, nothing wrong with that. Could have won the game with a better PP.

Thought Sweden played well after the first period.

Reactions: JFG and FinPanda

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Latvia played like they had to, nothing wrong with that. Could have won the game with a better PP.

Thought Sweden played well after the first period.
Yea PP. Several of those PP were nothing to call. Its like no chance if a Latvia player fall on his toes someone should pay for it. If Swedes got some at least one PPfrom all the holdings and hooking latvia were aloud to do Swedes its perhaps 8-1 game. Swedes has most points and least goals against. There is a hockey god. If Latvia winning on these type of games i quit watching WC. And many others eill too. It was awful. Its not entertaining at all just business. Thats not WC. WC should be fun. Like Sweden plays hockey.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Yea PP. Several of those PP were nothing to call. Its like no chance if a Latvia player fall on his toes someone should pay for it. If Swedes got some at least one PPfrom all the holdings and hooking latvia were aloud to do Swedes its perhaps 8-1 game. Swedes has most points and least goals against. There is a hockey god. If Latvia winning on these type of games i quit watching WC. And many others eill too. It was awful. Its not entertaining at all just business. Thats not WC. WC should be fun. Like Sweden plays hockey.

I don't think it's particularly fun to watch either but look at how we qualified for the FIFA World Cup in the last game against Italy. Heroic effort according to us Swedes but we destroyed the sport according to the Italians. In the end it's always about winning, go rewatch the NHL all star game if you are into that type of entertainment.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I'd rather watch Sweden - Latvia than that World Cup spectacle. Beside, It's fun to see smaller hockey countries get far in the tournament. And f*** me in the ear if this was not an exciting game. I was nervous the whole game though, even that bland 0-0 first period had me at least worrying. That's what it's all about. If hockey doesn't evoke emotions we might as well just watch the WC invitational with Mickey mouse teams.
All credit to the Latvian team for making the swedes sweat. However, I agree that the reffing left much to be desired and had me screaming at the wall.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
I don't think it's particularly fun to watch either but look at how we qualified for the FIFA World Cup in the last game against Italy. Heroic effort according to us Swedes but we destroyed the sport according to the Italians. In the end it's always about winning, go rewatch the NHL all star game if you are into that type of entertainment.
I see your point here. However, we are comparing different sports with each other. I'd say in football, a team can still be dominant and enjoyable to watch even when the opposing team is laying low with their whole team. There's a lot of more space to work with. Latvias way of approaching the game yesterday didn't just make the game boring, but it also made Sweden boring to watch. There's a lot less rules in football that restrict they way you can approach a game compared to hockey, where you can exploit rules such as the offside rule. That's what you saw Latvia doing yesterday, going with some sort of ultra defensive trap strategy where they barely even proceeded forward even when they had the puck in their possession.

Italy lacked the creativity to break through a team that pretty much played the way that Italy themselves could have approached a different game. Italy went for the longballs (=lack of creativity) even though they faced a tall team that would beat them to every single header.

I agree that winning is what matters as long as it doesn't involve cheating. But you aren't going to see much worse displays than the one Latvia stood for yesterday in terms of doing ALL that it takes. Sweden-Italy wasn't worse, and it certainly wasn't a unique sort of matchup, like the Sweden-Latvia one. Sweden approached the football game just like a lot of teams do. Latvia approached their game in the most destructive way i've ever seen a team do at the international hockey level.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
I see your point here. However, we are comparing different sports with each other. I'd say in football, a team can still be dominant and enjoyable to watch even when the opposing team is laying low with their whole team. There's a lot of more space to work with. Latvias way of approaching the game yesterday didn't just make the game boring, but it also made Sweden boring to watch. There's a lot less rules in football that restrict they way you can approach a game compared to hockey, where you can exploit rules such as the offside rule. That's what you saw Latvia doing yesterday, going with some sort of ultra defensive trap strategy where they barely even proceeded forward even when they had the puck in their possession.

Italy lacked the creativity to break through a team that pretty much played the way that Italy themselves could have approached a different game. Italy went for the longballs (=lack of creativity) even though they faced a tall team that would beat them to every single header.

I agree that winning is what matters as long as it doesn't involve cheating. But you aren't going to see much worse displays than the one Latvia stood for yesterday in terms of doing ALL that it takes. Sweden-Italy wasn't worse, and it certainly wasn't a unique sort of matchup, like the Sweden-Latvia one. Sweden approached the football game just like a lot of teams do. Latvia approached their game in the most destructive way i've ever seen a team do at the international hockey level.
is it soccer talk? man,, thats boring, that sport is slow and has diving in its blood. Latvia just killed hockey, nuff said. I saw the hole game on video, and i could replay a lot of sequences.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
Socc
Soccer aint my cup a tea, i want to be entertained. But then swedes should be ashamed. Latvia should be ashamed. Will the fans come and watch if teams do what they did, no, it will be 5000 in the stands not 12000. It sux

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad