GDT: Quarterfinal - May 17 - Russia vs Canada

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
A nail-biter on ice coming. This might turn to a good hockey game, let's hope so. The Russians should snatch this home since these particular Canadian net-minders don't mind the net value of making saves on incoming shots...

Last edited:

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
If Russia is going to win a medal with a predominantly KHL roster (only 4 NHL players), they have to have better luck in obtaining the KHL's best. There were a myriad of injuries of guys who would otherwise have been on the roster, and Federation politics seemed to have eliminated Kovalchuk and Voynov, two guys who led the way to the Olympic Gold Medal. Its not impossible, but Russia is a clear underdog here!

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
An insignificant but still interesting takeaway at stake from this game is that whoever wins this particular game will be ranked #1 on IIHF (both RUS and CAN are currently tied on points for ranking), unless the winner loses the the semi-final and loses the bronze medal game and Sweden wins gold.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I got a feeling that Russia will take this. Might be even easy. Canadian goalies seem to be too big of a problem this time.

I think that for example FIN-SUI will be tighter game than RUS-CAN.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
From what I have seen in this tournament...

Russia should win this easily...

This is the worst goaltending situation we have had in years...

Judging the effort from the Canadian skaters in this tournament so far ... I would venture they are enjoying Denmark's pleasant lifestyle and hospitality.... their focus on competition is well down on the list.... (minus McDavid of course)...

I don't like my own comments as a Canadian hockey guy, but I've got to be straight...

Go Canada Go !!!

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
A matchup with Russia just might be what the doctor ordered for this Canadian bunch that hasn't impressed in the preliminaries. Canada will be motivated to win this game, Russia tends to bring out the best in Canada so we'll see what happens. This game can go either way.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
An insignificant but still interesting takeaway at stake from this game is that whoever wins this particular game will be ranked #1 on IIHF (both RUS and CAN are currently tied on points for ranking), unless the winner loses the the semi-final and loses the bronze medal game and Sweden wins gold.

Cool! Nice digging, always appreciating statistics like these!

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008

Mostly true, Canada & Russia aren't tied. Canada has a slight lead right now for the #1 ranking. Though we all know that Olympics was bogus, still torn up we didn't get to see the worlds best on best. Anyways...

Go Canada Go!!!

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
McDavid is the only player who came to play. It’s been embarrassing watching the effort we’ve put into games. An OT McDavid goal against Latvia after taking a pounding from the Fins tells you how invested our players are. Oh well, whatever the result, hopefully it’s fun to watch McDavid vs Dats again.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
From what I have seen in this tournament...

Russia should win this easily...

This is the worst goaltending situation we have had in years...

Judging the effort from the Canadian skaters in this tournament so far ... I would venture they are enjoying Denmark's pleasant lifestyle and hospitality.... their focus on competition is well down on the list.... (minus McDavid of course)...

I don't like my own comments as a Canadian hockey guy, but I've got to be straight...

Go Canada Go !!!

You’re too pessimistic. It’s Russia and an elimination game, Canada will turn up the heat. Russia has the worst roster since mid 2000, so on paper Canada is s massive favorite.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It would be nice to finally see Canada bring their A game to this tournament today, whatever the A game of this team is.

We have not seen it yet, they are capable of playing much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->