GDT: Quarterfinal • May 12 • Russia 2, Canada 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, Russia is coming in as a bit of an underdog which means the pressure will be off them.

With Canada's goaltending situation hardly ideal and with Russia's goalscoring talent, it's not a great recipe for success.

Canada is going to have to play an aggressive, puck pressure game and not let up if they do get a lead.

Still, this has been a sort of inconsistent and sloppy Team Canada so hopefully they can raise their game in the elimination rounds. That's what Canada is traditionally known for anyway.

Charlie Milles*

Canada has the right group of forwards to gas the Russian 'd'. If they're not big; they're young, fresh and fast. Canada is also superior down the middle. Tereschenko and Zino are great but no match guys like Duchene, Tavares and Spezza. As talented Russia's top line is, I haven't been too impressed with the KHL leading scores when put up against the best of North America. We'll see though. The guys that worry me for Canada are Phaneuf and Schenn. Games like these will go one of two ways for guys like the aforesaid. They will either be a hitting contest or 30 minutes of humiliation. Phaneuf and Schenn have to be smart, patient and quick on their feet. If they do so, Canada will have a glaring advantage on the back-end. As for goaltending, I'm not sure who has the advantage. I'm just hoping Bernier steps up and makes a few big saves. Anyone can win, but I do believe the ball is in Canada's court this afternoon.

observerspb*

Someguy Well. If Russia will hold the first goal. You lost. Deal?

PeacEnforcer

May 6, 2011
Go Canada Go; nervous as hell, though. CAN-A-DA!

No worries, mate: we are winning it! I mean I'm not sure we will utlimately be the champions here - I actually doubt that we will, but we are beating u tonight - it's a foregone conclusion. So no need to worry - just relax and enjoy the show:nod:

observerspb*

Russian celebration. When Canada loses.
084d30b376bd.jpg

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Can't we all just get along? :)

Anyways, I'm nervous about today but I'm always nervous when Team Canada plays...not that I don't have confidence in the team, I just don't like being over confident but my team winning regardless of circumstance. Especially in tournaments like these where at this point, one bad game and it's lights out. I don't care how we win it, I just want the win and preferably in regulation. I'm not bothered by our goaltending because regardless of who has been in net for us, most of the goals scored on us were a result of bad coverage from the guys in front of the goalie. A softie once in a while doesn't make our goaltending depth this year horrible. We're going to have to play fast and aggressive.

Russia may not have played as well as people would have expected in the qualifying rounds but they did enough to get this far. They're coming in as underdogs so perhaps they won't feel as much pressure coming into this game and perhaps they've beeng waiting all along for the elimination games to start for them to turn it on to full blast. I'm hoping that Canada has been waiting for these rounds to do the same because even though they've won all of their games, I don't think they're playing to their full potential.

ZZM

Nov 16, 2009
Stockholm
Tonight´s game is going to be close, but i hope team russia will level up from the earlier games or it will end here.

I think its pointless to talk about earlier olympic games and so on because both team are different/weaker compare to the olympics 2010. Maybe dont even compare from last years WC?

Russia has better roster (imo), but most of them hasnt deliver yet..

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think its pointless to talk about earlier olympic games and so on because both team are different/weaker compare to the olympics 2010. Maybe dont even compare from last years WC?

Russia has better roster (imo), but most of them hasnt deliver yet..

In terms of rosters, there are 12 Russian players from the 2010 Olympic team and 1 Canadian player from the 2010 Olympic team.

But, in any event, it's usually different versions of Canada and Russia that face off from game to game, so previous records don't matter.

observerspb*

In terms of rosters, there are 12 Russian players from the 2010 Olympic team and 1 Canadian player from the 2010 Olympic team.
This is a problem in Canada. By the beginning of the championship could have played 10 Olympic champions. But they refused.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is a problem in Canada. By the beginning of the championship could have played 10 Olympic champions. But they refused.

Thankfully, we have other guys who are willing to go.

It's what makes the tournament interesting to me.

I get to see a different and new roster every year.

vezna*

because it's just not as important as the Olympics or the NHL Playoffs. for some reason europeans think it's an "excuse" for Canada/US, but it is the truth.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
because it's just not as important as the Olympics or the NHL Playoffs. for some reason europeans think it's an "excuse" for Canada/US, but it is the truth.

That and it's usually hosted in Europe.

I think in 2008, we had a better response rate from our players when it was held in Canada.

After being away from their families for most of the year, a lot of guys aren't really excited about leaving the continent.

It's easier for the young guys since they don't have kids, and unsurprisingly, most of them go when invited.

El Gato Bodegero

Oct 22, 2008
Mexico City
I hope Russia wins!!

I bet a lot of money on them winning in regular time. So I do hope they don't win in O.T.

My prediction:

Russia 5 (Radulov 2, Ovie 1, Zaripov 1, Nikulin 1)

Canada 2 (Tavares 2)

Russia will crush this Canadian team.

Putin will be at the game; I like Russia's record with Putin at the stands!!!

Erathian

May 18, 2010
Czech republic
I hope Russia wins!!

I bet a lot of money on them winning in regular time. So I do hope they don't win in O.T.

My prediction:

Russia 5 (Radulov 2, Ovie 1, Zaripov 1, Nikulin 1)

Canada 2 (Tavares 2)

Russia will crush this Canadian team.

Putin will be at the game; I like Russia's record with Putin at the stands!!!

I don't want to disappoint you, but Canada will win.

Ilyeu

Jan 10, 2010
Not nervous yet, but want Canada to avenge the last three defeats in this tournament.
Time to start bringing those Canadian World Junior domination games into the forefront.
Also tired of losing by close margins and games that fell out of our grasp. Time take it to the Russian bear commandingly. At any level. Go Canada Go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->