GDT: Quarterfinal • Jan. 2 • Finland 3, Russia 4 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Nah, up to 1809 the Finns had the best time of their history. From 1809 to 1917 the Finns were living under the terror rule of Russia before they revolted and gained their Freedom. Then Russia tried to invade Finland during WW2 but were denied by sisu. However, the commies still managed to steal 10 percent of Finland in the treaty after the war.

After that, they have continued to own Finland in hockey as well. I was hoping yesterday would be a turning point but no...:(

Sweden will revenge their former subjects tonight!

LOL.

Finland was a lot better off in the Russian Empire than with Sweden.

tatzka90

The Universe
Apr 14, 2009
Finland
Watched veetle stream, from tsn with good quality from my friend's 38'' tv.
Game was so entertaining that I wasn't even tired after 5.30 am, too bad that Finns couldn't handle the last 5 minutes. Kuznetzov was a beast, his individual skills were only reason Russians could beat that 5-men(and of course at OT 4-men) -barrier.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Watched veetle stream, from tsn with good quality from my friend's 38'' tv.
Game was so entertaining that I wasn't even tired after 5.30 am, too bad that Finns couldn't handle the last 5 minutes. Kuznetzov was a beast, his individual skills were only reason Russians could beat that 5-men(and of course at OT 4-men) -barrier.

I agree overall Finnland is a better TEAM as Russia. The only thing I have to say - your boys are DIRTYYYYYYYYYYY, crosschecking, spearing behind the scene...

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Great interview with Kuzya after the game:

– Поздравляем! Вы сегодня спасли команду!
– Спасибо за поздравление. Мы проигрывали со счётом 1:3, и надо было как можно скорее забивать вторую шайбу, чтобы потом отыграть ещё одну и сравнять счёт. Так и вышло – забросили ещё две шайбы. А не помните, кто был тем защитником, кого я обыграл?

- Congrats, you saved the team today!
- Thanks. We were losing 3-1, we needed to sore quickly so that we could score another one and tie the game up. And that happened - we scored other two times. By the way, who was the defenseman that I outplayed?

– Ватанен.
– Это же тот, кто сказал в интервью, что у сборной России нет шансов против финнов? Ну, вы ему привет тогда передайте.

- Vatanen.
- Isn't him the one who said in an interview that Russia would have no chances against Finland? Well, tell him "hi"!

:laugh: Love it. Obviously he knew who it was and just wanted it to get mentioned again :)

I feel bad for Finland though, it always sucks to lose like that. A bit sad I missed the game..

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I thought we played two periods very well. Third was also in our control, but damn I hated Pulkkinen's dumb hooking penalty. Wasn't even his first in the tournament. The Russians got a huge boost from the first goal, and I knew we'd be in trouble. Then Kuznetsov pretty much took over the game and destroyed us. He made Vatanen look like a fool on Kitsyn's goal. Vatanen needs to learn to defend 1 on 1-situations.

I think this wasn't the typical Finnish meltdown. Two individual errors just cost us the game (Pulkkinen's penalty & Kuznetsov's solo). Kuznetsov was a beast in the last 10 minutes. After the 2-3 goal Finns looked really nervous and lost all composure. They rebounded a bit in OT but couldn't bury their chances. Ortio was really good.

Fortheloveofthegame

Mar 18, 2008
USA
What an incredible last 5 minutes! Feel bad for the Finns, but with nothing really "invested" in the game, as a fan........very entertaining.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Saw 2 different Russian teams this tournament...

1) The Russian team that played in a) the first 2 periods of the Canadian game AND b) the last 12 minutes of tonight's game.

2) The Russian team that played the rest of the time.

If Team # 1 would just stick around the Russians could do some damage.

Why so many highs and lows with the Russian team?

Why no consistancy?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I thought we played two periods very well. Third was also in our control, but damn I hated Pulkkinen's dumb hooking penalty. Wasn't even his first in the tournament.

Other than the penalty against the USA, I don't think he's taken much penalties in the entire tournament. What if Pulkkinen had let Tarasenko(?) go unimpeeded, and he had doen the same to the dman as Kuznetsov? Would people then blame him for not backchecking?

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Yes I meant the similar penalty against USA. It wasn't just about the hook but he also gave the puck away on the blueline and had to recover with a penalty. Some hooking was allowed in the tournament but those were obvious calls. I would have liked him to take the risk and not hook so blatantly.

Obviously our D was also weak on the pk. Can't let a player bulldoze to the net and just whack the puck in like that.

Other than that Pulkkinen was pretty good in the tournament. I was impressed with his playmaking. He should use his wristshot more though, it's quicker in many situations. Many of his slapshots hit the D-man or deflected past the net.

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
IMO this was once again a completely "typical and garden variety" Finnish collapse in the last minutes of a game that should have been in the bag.

Finland dominated and controlled the game up to the last period. This is when Russia increased the pressure, and Finland became nervous. They acted in a typical fashion that I have seen time and time again in games that matter. Losing focus, making mistakes (giveaways), and taking dumb penalties.

I was not shocked to see them blow it with 5 minutes left, it was to be expected.

Finland has to learn how to shut it down when the game is practically won. STAY FOCUSED, STAY OUT OF THE BLOODY PENALTY BOX.

Cudos to Russia, they found their game at the end and didn't give up.

Last edited:

Fulcrum

Could someone who reads Finnish news tell me how this game was approached. Did the finnish media/experts expect to win this game before it started?

I just want to know, it looked to me like the Fins understimated the Russians and what they are known for in the last 5-10 mins of the game?

Juzmo

Nov 17, 2009
Could someone who reads Finnish news tell me how this game was approached. Did the finnish media/experts expect to win this game before it started?

I just want to know, it looked to me like the Fins understimated the Russians and what they are known for in the last 5-10 mins of the game?
It was very possible having the best team in years and with a solid goalie.

They are Finnish athletes, they couldn't handle the pressure when it mattered.

pr92

Apr 30, 2010
Buffalo
What a comeback. Great game, sad to see Finland lost at the end though.

This is a real shot in the dark, but was anyone else at the game? Anyone know why they kicked those Canadians out of the lower bowl? I didn't see them do anything wrong. The "Let Him Stay!" chant was the loudest one of the night. :p:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad