Quarter term report cards

Jun 15, 2007
Because, why not?

Ovechkin- B+. Scoring at a good pace but not as effective at even strength. Subpar defense.

Backstrom- A-.

Grabovski- A. Definitely worthy of an extension based on his play so far.

Johansson- A-. Has looked good at centre.

Ward- A+. Can't ask for more.

Chimera- A+. Ditto.

Laich- D+. Completely ineffective.

Latta- B+. Like his game.

Volpatti- C+

Fehr- C. Thought he turned the corner last year. Maybe not. But not really his fault that he was playing centre.

Brouwer- C-. Not looking like he was worth that extension at all.

Erat- B-. Meh. Blahblahblah Forsberg.

Wilson. B+. Still not sure he should be here though.

Green- C-. Possibly injured? Not shooting on the PP anymore.

Carlson- B+. Looking better than last year for sure.

Oleksey- C.

Schmidt- B-

Alzner- A-. Same as ever.

Urbom- B-

Holtby. A- Terrible start to the season but has been the MVP in quite in a few games.

Neuvirth B-

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I'm bored so might aswell.

Ovechkin - B-
- Very good GPG pace but when he doesn't have the puck he's floating around and costing the team. -10 tells the story about his even-strength play.

Backstrom - A-
- He has been pretty good this season, could be better especially defensively. Why doesn't he play on PK anymore? Also would like if he started shooting more on the PP especially against teams that have player shadowing Ovi all the time. Green obviously can't get it in this season.

Johansson - A-
- Looked good as 1LW at the start, and has looked pretty good as 2C aswell. Seems stronger along the boards this season, but needs to work on faceoffs.

Erat - B-
- Not bad start but he has been ineffective in some games. Most of his points came against Columbus. Definitely room to improve.

Laich - D
- Not really anything positive to say about him apart from good work on the PK. Looks lost at times, doesn't create any offense ES and the few times he's been on the PP he hasn't impressed. Seems to have lost his faceoff skills aswell. Needs to improve or he's getting bought out next summer.

Brouwer - C-
- ES he has been among the worst forwards but he has been good on the PK and has few goals on the PP too. Needs to improve.

Chimera - A
- Started bit slowly in the first few games but has caught fire on line with Grabo and Ward. Hopefully that line can keep going because top-6 isn't currently getting it done.

Grabovski - A+
- Perfect signing. Hopefully they can work something sensible out to keep him long-term.

Ward - A+
- Nothing more can be asked of him. Has 9 goals already and has been big part of the PK, while also doing some damage when gotten the chance on the PP.

Wilson - B+
- Not playing much but 4th line is making the most of their TOI, they are rarely on the ice for goals against and bring physical element that Capitals haven't had in years.

Latta - B+
- One of the positive surprises this season, despite not having that many points. Has played well with Wilson and Volpatti and been good on the PK aswell when given the chance.

Volpatti - B
- Has been physical as expected and seems to work well with Latta and Wilson. Better than i expected at the start of the season.

Green - C-
- Bad defensive errors, some nights he can't even connect with the easy passes. Closing in on league lead on giveaways. Can't score on the PP, but has good amount of assists. Needs to improve, he's the veteran on the blue-line.

Schmidt - B+
- Didn't expect him to keep his spot when he was first called up. Has been pretty good. Good skater, makes good first-pass and unlike Carrick he doesn't get pushed around despite not being the biggest guy.

Alzner - B+
- He has been solid again this but i think he can be bit better. Seems more eager to join the rush this season and that's a good sign. Huge part of the PK along with Carlson.

Carlson - A-
- Has really improved this season, both defensively and offensively. Just like Alzner, he is huge part of the PK which has been amazing this season. Carlson averages over 4 minutes per-game on the PK. Has also looked good on the PP when given the chance.

Urbom - B+
- He has been solid this season, nothing spectacular but has done his job well. Physical in front of the net which is encouraging sign from a Caps defender.

Oleksy - C+
- He has been decent this season, but he can be better. Taking some stupid penalties and seems step slower than last year.

Holtby - B
- Terrible start but he has picked it up since. Most nights defense in front of him doesn't do him much favours. Jets game was good example of that.

Neuvirth - C
- Has looked good but seems to have few bad moments in every game he plays in.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Grabovski - A+
- Perfect signing. Hopefully they can work something sensible out to keep him long-term.

You're welcome

1297476050750_ORIGINAL.jpg

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Holy Crap. I think the Caps should trade for Schultz so that people would Ess Tea Eff You about Laich. He's annoying at times and a bit overpaid, but he hasn't been that bad and is coming off of the shelf for a full year. Give it some time.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Can't see anything I blatantly disagree with in the first two report cards.

Edited to add I'd give coach nothing better than a C. And he only got because of recent adjustments.

Liberati0n*

Holy Crap. I think the Caps should trade for Schultz so that people would Ess Tea Eff You about Laich. He's annoying at times and a bit overpaid, but he hasn't been that bad and is coming off of the shelf for a full year. Give it some time.

Bro, grab a couple marijuana's and just relax for a minute.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

I used to be a Laich defender and had no problem with him, but he has been that bad. Like unbelievably bad along with being a waste of a roster spot bad. Every time he's on the ice he's an offense killer.

Liberati0n*

I used to be a Laich defender and had no problem with him, but he has been that bad. Like unbelievably bad along with being a waste of a roster spot bad. Every time he's on the ice he's an offense killer.

You did also repeatedly say Backstrom was the worst player on the team in last year's playoffs. So maybe you're the one who needs to have a marijuana or two and chill out.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
You did also repeatedly say Backstrom was the worst player on the team in last year's playoffs. So maybe you're the one who needs to have a marijuana or two and chill out.

He was. Almost everyone agreed with me after 7 games.

Don't worry, I have plenty.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Are we grading on a curve? If not, how the hell could anyone score better than OV and Backstrom?

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Fine. I suggest using a scale of up to five marijuana's for how casual each player is when they're handling the puck in high-pressure situations. AKA the "Green" scale:

2v3hliu.jpg

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Fine. I suggest using a scale of up to five marijuana's for how casual each player is when they're handling the puck in high-pressure situations. AKA the "Green" scale:

2v3hliu.jpg

This is 100% awesome.

BUT, on behalf of the board's grammar police, can we agree that we are talking about "marijuanas" in the plural and not "marijuana's" in the possessive?

Thanks.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
Stoner Mike Green thinks that the Grammar Police need to have a couple of marijuana's, chillax, and text some good vibes to their best budz at the next red light.

2ymzx3a.jpg

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Ovechkin- B leading the league in goals but like always we want more
Backstrom- A good bounce back season after awful playoffs
Grabovski- B has good chemistry wither chimmer and wardo
Johansson- B Mojo looking good so far, can he keep it up with 2 loser wingers?
Ward- A more goals then cindy
Chimera- A great season so far
Laich- F would do us a favor to go back on IR
Latta- B better then i expected
Volpatti- C does what he was brought here to
Fehr INC totally mishandle so doesnt get a grade
Brouwer D needs to be alot better
Erat D - has zero goals and a handful of points.
Wilson. C nothing more then a 4th line fighter at this point

Green- C not living up to past seasons
Carlson- B best season so far
Oleksey- D AHL dman
Schmidt- C doing well enough but only in the NHL bc lack of depth
Alzner- B
Urbom- D does nothing

Holtby. C middle of the league in all goalie stats
Neuvirth D for 2.5mil

apollo71426

Jan 21, 2010
Because, why not?

Ovechkin- B+. Scoring at a good pace but not as effective at even strength. Subpar defense.

Subpar defense is putting it lightly. His off the puck play is downright disgusting. And Alzner gets an A+. His offensive game has improved, and I'm not surprised. Alzner seems like the type of player who will put in the effort to better any part of their game that they feel the need too. The guy is the most underrated defenseman out there and will only get better. Did I mention I like Karl Alzner?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Same. Laich has been brutal, and I was a big Laich supporter. He is where offense goes to die, similar to Chimera last season. Not only that, but he and Brouwer are consistently pinned in their own zone. So to recaps, they can't create offense and they can't clear the zone. But he's, he's good on the PK.

Backstrom was so bad in the play-offs last year we had people convinced he was concussed because there was no other explanation for how brutal he was. People were also advocating trading him for scraps because he was that bad. The only player remotely close to Backstrom in terms of terribleness was Erskine. He was atrocious and frequently the worst player on the ice.

JenniferH

Holts Did It
Nov 7, 2013
Georgia
Holtby. C middle of the league in all goalie stats
He's in the top 5 of shots against, and if you count goalies who have played 10 games or more, he's in the top 10 (tied with MAF for 9th) for SV %, and he's tied with other goalies with a shut-out, something that not many goalies have. A few other goalies have 2 shut-outs this season, but that's all. Definitely not middle of the league in all goalie stats.

Ovechkin - A- He's a beast on PP, and comes out often enough to save the day, but now and then he does seem to be on the sidelines when action is happening elsewhere waiting for the puck to come his way. Still, when he shines, damn, does Ovi shine like the superstar he is. And he is a scoring machine.

Backstrom - A Strong, steady and dependable, with only a few hiccups here and there.

Grabovski - B+ Not lighting up the scoreboard, but he's got some slick moves and he makes plays.

Johansson - B He's really stepped it up in the last couple of weeks.

Ward - A+ He's been rocking it, really, really impressive stuff. Wardo's been fantastic. On the ES, PP and PK.

Chimera - A So happy with his return with great form.

Laich - D He's good on the PK, I'll give him that.

Latta - B Great addition to the Erat trade. He needs more experience, but I think he's a good fit.

Volpatti - C Just hasn't made much of an impression.

Fehr - B- He just didn't click with his linemates and because of that has been healthy scratching away and so there's nothing to grade.

Brouwer - B- He has a few shining moments, but for the most part, he's just kinda there.

Erat - B He makes beautiful plays, sets up some great stuff, but he just isn't very dynamic.

Wilson - B Love the kid, but that potential hasn't broken through yet.

Green - D He's gotta be injured, slumping ... or something. Because something ain't happening here.

Carlson - B+ Love Carlson. He's doing good.

Oleksy - C He's got promise, but too many unnecessary penalties, and little mistakes.

Alzner - B+ He's a good player, does what is needed.

Urbom - B+ I like him. He's a great addition!

Holtby - A He still needs to work on tightening up, and getting that consistency under control, but I think we have the workings of an elite goalie on our hands.

Neuvirth - B- It could be lack of enough net-time, but every time, he gets in the net, he'll have a mostly good game, but then some big flubs or nothing outstanding. I did think his last game was really good, probably his best... until we lost. But it wasn't on him. Still, he's very good, just not great.

Last edited:

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Erat - C+. Decent now that he's gotten playing time, but hasn't done much.
Backstrom - A. 3rd in the league in takeaways, top-5 in points.
Ovechkin - B. His gliding around the blue line is beginning to drive me insane.

Laich - D-. Great on the PK, which is the only thing saving him from an F.
Mojo - A. Been great all year.
Brouwer - D+. He sucks.

Chimera - A. Nothing really to say. Playing great hockey.
Grabo - A. Has done nothing wrong from what I've seen. Love how versatile he is.
Ward - A. Joel Ward, goal machine?

Volpatti - C
Latta - C+
Wilson - B-

Fehr - B+. Needs to be playing.
Beagle - has he even played two games yet?

Green - C-. Good on the PP. Not so good otherwise.
Alzner - A. Best defenseman defensively on the team. Is it wrong that I like the fact he gets no points, as his contract will always be great for the team?
Carlson - A. Only thing he was missing was offense, and now that Carlzner is reunited, he has found it.
Schmidt - C. C for his age/experience is pretty good. Excited to see where he's at in a few years.
Oleksy - C-. Too many minor penalties.
Erskine - F. Can't believe he's making 2mil.
Urbom - B-. Great pickup.

Holtby - B+
Neuvirth - B

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->