Quarter season report cards

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
i haven’t been able to follow as much as I’d like to and have only watched a handful of games and stat watch. Give our boys a grade on there performance so far and maybe a lil reason for their grade

Template to copy

Ovechkin-
Kuznetsov-
Wilson-
Vrana-
Backstrom-
Oshie-
Burakovsky-
Eller-
Connolly-
Stephenson-
Boyd-
Dowd-
DSP-
Jaskin-
Carlson-
Niskanen-
Orlov-
Kempney-
Djoos-
Bowey-
Orpik-
Holtby-
Copley-

Reirden-

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Ovechkin- A (15 goals in 20 games. True leader of this team and respected by his teammates. Amazing start of the season)
Kuznetsov- B- (No EV goals so far. Wilson suspension doesn't help. Had some bad games. Must do better for one of the best C in the League. His PK experiment is not yet a success. Should work more on the FOs)
Wilson- C (Somewhere between excellent and horrible. Honestly his 20 into 16/14 game suspension penalized the team a lot. But now he is terrific on the ice. Best player, except Oshie, we do have to play with Ovechkin-Kuznetsov line)
Vrana- B- (He is good and fast. Scored some goals. Must step up to be consistent NHL Top6 forward)
Backstrom- A (Excellent player as always. Dominant with Oshie on the 2nd line)
Oshie- A+ (True hero on the ice. Not so deadly as Ovie, Kuzy or Backy are, but he gives every thing he has every second he is in the game)
Burakovsky- D- (Completely lost this year. If it was his first year in NHL he could already be back to Malmo. Does very little on the ice. Too much of suicidal 1vs5 rushes. Maybe too much pression for him? He knows he should look for another team for next year. Psy coach to help him maybe?)
Eller- B (Excellent at PK, good on PP, best IPP among the Top9 forwards. Less stupid penalties than last year. And most number of opponent penalty drawn by him. But his +/- "-8" stat is worst on the team)
Connolly- A (Completely new player this year. In some games shows Top6 potential)
Stephenson- D (Our best PK forward. Except this, very bad start of the season at 5v5)
Boyd- D+ (Shows some offensive qualities. Awful at PK. Easy an AHL top-line dominant player. But is he made for the NHL bottom line role? Should be given 10 or 20 more games to prove himself. May be play him with Jaskin, cose DSP doesn't help him at all)
Dowd- B (Good stand-in for Beagle. OK at PK and at FOs. His line works well then he is in. Can be a correct NHL player with Caps)
DSP- F (Not in shape? Awful. Disaster with every line he played. Mediocre at PK. What happens with him)
Jaskin- B+ (Terrific addition to the team. Dominant player on the 4rd line. Should start play on PK)
Carlson- B (Correct start. Excellent on PP, mediocre but still better then others on PK. With his cap numbers expect just a little bit more from him on 5v5)
Niskanen- B- (Bad start, bad statistics. But feels much more comfortable on the ice compared to his pairing teammate)
Orlov- D (Extremely bad start of the season. Bad decisions, bad passes and not fast enough. Worst D On-Ice SV% of the team (except Orpic). Should not be on the first paring. At least for some time)
Kempney- B (Good. Confirming his last years/playoff performance. But not good at PK yet)
Djoos- B+ (Stronger then last year. Slowly starts to be more aggressive in D and he doesn't take penalties. Very useful in offensive phases of play. Doesn't do PK)
Bowey- A- (Clearly an NHL player. Should start more games to see his potential. Just now our best 3RD. But he is awful on PK)
Orpik- C (Better start than last seasons. No problem with him as our 6/7D)
Holtby- B- (Not in shape? Made some miraculous saves. Gave only few soft goals. Was not helped by the team some times)
Copley- D (Some good games. Skates a lot around the net. But takes too many avoidable goals. Has bad % numbers. Not sure about his NHL future)

Reirden- A (pretty much every player perform better or at the same level with him. Too early to judge his system)

Kuz

May 11, 2015
DSP- F (Not in shape? Awful. Disaster with every line he played. Mediocre at PK. What happens with him)

I would say DSP is pretty much where I expected him to be. He stepped up in the playoffs with 7 goals and 1 assist. Still a 0,33 PPG in a playoff where he delievered more than I guess we all expected. Now he is producing 0,25 points per game vs last years regular season 0,21. I would say hes been playing around what we could expect from him. Not in playoff mode from last year, but still a little bit better than last year in production and on ice he looks pretty much the same from last years regular season. I would give him an average grade C as he in production and play is where I tought he would be.

If any player deserves an F its clearly Burakovsky. Producing nothing so far and having his worst season on ice and on the score sheet. Stephenson only gets an D as you say based on his PK. I would say these two and Orlov are clearly behind last years performance. Also Niskanen have probably been a little worse than last year.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I dont agree with Eller being a B. He has been OK on the pk but sucks on the pp. Inconsistent 5 on 5. He still takes stupid penalties and his defensively play has been mediocre. I'd give him a D.
I agree with Kuz that Burakovsky is an F.
I'd give Backstrom an A+. He isnt as flashy as some other players but he is easily our best all round forward.

Jun 15, 2007
Ovechkin- A

No cup hangover was a pleasant surprise.

Kuznetsov- A-

He's been good overall but you get the feeling he could've been even better.

Wilson- C-

F for the suspension but A since he came back. Averages out to C-

Vrana- B

Inconsistent.

Backstrom- A

Seems like he's shooting more? Either way, no complaints.

Oshie- A

Plays harder than anyone else.

Burakovsky- F

Lol

Eller- B-

I don't think he's been as good defensively as he should be.

Connolly- B

Should've made more of his opportunity on the first line.

Stephenson- D

Can't finish at all

Boyd- B

Surprising amount of offense from him

Dowd- C

He's no Beagle.

DSP- D

His RS doesn't matter to me though.

Jaskin- B

He's been okay. Slow as far though.

Carlson- A

Worth his contract so far.

Niskanen-B

What happened to the playoff Niskanen?

Orlov- D

Drunk.

Kempney- D

Giveaways are supposed to be during Christmas only.

Djoos- C

Haven't really noticed him, so I guess that's good?

Bowey- A

Most improved player.

Orpik- C

Other than our PK he doesn't bring much on the ice.

Holtby- C

Some good games but more bad ones.

Copley-C

Decent but hasn't really pushed Holtby at all.

Reirden-C
Not a great record so far but I like what he says in post game press conferences.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Copley hasn't pushed Holtby?? Is that why he is on the team?? Can we have a little common sense here? He is 4-2-1 with 1 no decision. The two loses were the back end of back to backs on the road. The one OTL was after playing 45 minutes of relief with 1 gaa after Holtby was shelled and pulled. He is otherwise 4-0. This isn't good enough for a backup goalie?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ovechkin: A- . 2nd in the league in goal-scoring and greater than a ppg. Had a few games of the fumblitis but otherwise has been fantastic.

Kuznetsov: C
. Honestly a little disappointed with Kuzy so far. The points are there and the PPGs are there but he's been a huge liability defensively and he hasn't scored yet on 5v5. It's not really a surprise given that he needs a guy like Wilson (or Oshie) on his line to do the dirty work for him, but I didn't expect him to be as buried in shots as he has been so far.

Wilson: I
. In his 4 games back he's been stellar, but missing 16 games due to a hit that didn't need to be made is a black mark on him. I'm all-in on Tom as a good hockey player as long as he can avoid suspensions. He makes everyone around him better.

Vrana: A-
. Everything about his game is fast. It seems like he should score more than he does, but on the other hand he's on pace for 20 EV goals which is high-end first line production despite playing second line minutes.

Backstrom: A
. Great on the PP, great possession driver at ES. Nothing new from Nick.

Oshie: A
. His concussion history is concerning but it's a product of his style of play. He's every bit as good as Backstrom defensively IMO and he has been one of the hardest workers so far this season. Hopefully he doesn't miss too much time.

Burakovsky: D
. It's getting tough to defend him. It's not that he's terrible, it's that he just isn't very good. He doesn't get to the dangerous areas very frequently and his shot isn't as good as people think it is. Oh well, we'll always have his Game 7 against Tampa.

Eller: B
. Expectations for Eller are probably a little higher than they should be. He's a 3C who is decent on the PK and can play up in the lineup and score a decent amount. He's not going to be the type of player he was in the postseason for an entire 82 game grind.

Connolly: A-
. He seems a little more well-rounded this season rather than just a guy who shoots 25% and does nothing else. I don't think he's ever going to be a fit on the top line but he's also too good to play on the 4th line. Leave him in the middle 6.

Jaskin: B
. Solid defensively but not much else. Good enough for a 4th liner.

Dowd: C
. Honestly don't remember him too much.

DSP: D+
. He's had a disappointing season since the beginning where there have been questions about his game shape. Still a Capitals legend for his postseason.

Stephenson: D+. He's not a good enough playmaker to continually pass on shooting opportunities. Wish he'd be more aggressive overall.

Boyd: B
. Seems like a fit on the 4th line. A little more offensively creative than I remember.

Orlov: C-
. Has been better over the past 5 games but his first 15 games were very bad and a big reason why the team has struggled.

Niskanen: B-
. Solid, but not quite as good as he could be.

Kempny: C-
. Starting to wonder if he wasn't just a flash in the pan last postseason. Hopefully it's just him getting over his concussion from the preseason.

Carlson: A-
. His defensive play has tailed off a bit recently but he's still putting up a ton of points and has been their best D all-around this season. Living up to his contract so far.

Djoos: B+
. Djoos has been good and I really think he should be getting more ice time instead of Kempny.

Bowey: B+.
Bowey's play has been impressive so far. His decision-making and passing seems quicker and it looks like he is jumping in the play more.

Orpik: A
. Positive possession and solid defense gets him a big fat A.

Holtby: B-
. It's tough to judge his play because the defense around him has been so porous. Still, there have been plenty of goals this season he would have saved in the past.

Copley: B+
. He's not as good as Grubauer but he's been solid so far.

Rierden: B
-. The defensive needs to be cleaned up but it's hard for me to determine if that's a product of a bad system or just bad play from key players. He's ultimately responsible for the team's performance and they are a .500 team right now. Hard to give him higher than a B- for that.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Jaskin: B. Solid defensively but not much else. Good enough for a 4th liner.

Kempny: C-
. Starting to wonder if he wasn't just a flash in the pan last postseason. Hopefully it's just him getting over his concussion from the preseason.

Lets be careful about giving such strong grading to a guy likely to get waived shortly.

Kempny. I said before and got a lot of grief that he was a 5/6 that was a good partner for a top 4 player, but that his ability beyond that was limited. I still don't see a top 4 d there. His ice time even with Orpik out isn't impressive.

Djoos. 13 minutes a night doesn't scream coach's confidence

Last edited:

Grudy0

Mar 16, 2011
Maryland
Rather than following the template:

5v5 - it's been a little underwhelming
PP - on track
PK - have we missed Beagle and Wilson

Worst forward - Burakovsky
Worst defenseman - to me it's been Orlov because of inconsistency

Goaltending - a bit better than last year at this point. However, unlike last year, if Holtby sprays fecal matter all over the bed we'll need Copley to become Grubauer. At least at this point this year Copley has had some offensive support - Grubauer piled on loss after loss at this point last year while posting a similar GAA and save percentage, leading to the quote that started the f-bomb train that became a theme all year, "I'm ******* sick of losing".

Coaching? Fine. I'm just waiting for linemate and D-pair chemistry to show up - and I'm liking the Bowey/Djoos pairing. The Caps have had way too many injuries and a suspension but have dealt with the adversity fairly well.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
relative to what's I expect from them:

Ovechkin- A- (hasn't been exceptional at even strength but has picked it up since Wilson has gotten back)
Kuznetsov- B+ (no even strength goals is weird but he's pretty consistent)
Wilson- let's wait
Vrana- B+ (shows real potential when given the chance, I wish he'd remain in the top 6 more)
Backstrom- A- (his offense is down I think but he's still our best 2 way guy, I'm loving him back with OV and Wilson though)
Oshie- A (feels like he's been the best even strength forward before his injuries)
Burakovsky- F (just trade him)
Eller- B (a bit inconsistent but he still produces great for a 3rd liner)
Connolly- A (despite constantly being moved up and down the lineup he produces)
Stephenson- C (looks way out of place in the top 9, quite disappointing)
Boyd- B+ (has a lot of hustle and creativity in his game, he's like a poor mans Oshie. I'd definitely like him to be our 4C when Kuzy is back)
Dowd- C- (he contributes nothing offensivly, he's just a defensive 4C and he's not even that good at that)
DSP- C (he looks like an average 4th liner out there, disappointing he couldn't maintain momentum from the playoffs)
Jaskin- C+ (great on the boards and defensively, however theres no offense to his game, he should never be above the 4th line)
Carlson- A (He's not elite defensively or anything but I'm liking him with Orlov, he deserves more minutes than Niskanen at even strength)
Niskanen- B (same as last year, a bit rocky at times but with less minutes he's a great #2)
Orlov- B- (started slow but has come on a lot lately, looks great with Carlson)
Kempney- B- (I think he's a decent #4, he started slow coming back from injury but I think he's been good since then)
Djoos- B (hasn't developed much from last year but he's still good on the 3rd pairing, doesn't get beat often and can move the puck)
Bowey- C+ (started to gain confidence and is moving the puck, but still prone to bonehead plays)
Orpik- B+ (looked great to start, with limited minutes and PK time he's solid)
Holtby- C+ (can't blame him solely for some of his loses but he doesn't play like an elite goalie who wins Vezina's)
Copley- B- (slow start but he did well in Holtby's absence)

Reirden- B- (he's been demoting skill guys for grinders more than I like and the PKs been bad, but maybe its a cup hangover, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt)

Last edited:

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
B- is I guess he's been alright, and B is he's been alright

Ovechkin- A+
Kuznetsov- A he looked like a top 5 player a few weeks ago, leads Caps in pts/game, not sure why he's getting graded so hard
Wilson- B taking into account D suspension and A play
Vrana- B was hoping for more improvement, only 2 games ahead of last years pace
Backstrom- A+ peak f***ing Backstrom
Oshie- A+ GWG in 30% the wins, GTG in 33% the OTL
Burakovsky- couldn't find poop emoji
Eller- B- has had some gaffes but on pace for career high in points and assists with different guys on his wings all the time
Connolly- B- not fair to him to expect more
Stephenson- C bumped up letter grade by PK
Boyd- B I just wanted to see signs that he'd be a fine 3C and I have and in fact he is tonight
Dowd- C needs to give more on PK and at dot to play over Boyd
DSP- B on pace for 20+ points averaging 8:45 ES, would be B+ with better PK
Jaskin- B I feel like he should be used over Stephenson and Bura if we're going on results
Carlson- A+ solidly a top 10 defenseman, building on career year
Niskanen- C he'll right the ship but he and Orlov have the lowest expected +/- on team and hasn't looked great
Orlov- B- a scootch ahead of Niskanen based on 6 pts last 4 games
Kempney- B great partner for 74 and contract looking great
Djoos- A- makes things happen when he's on the ice, makes good decisions with the puck and good positioning
Bowey- B+ showed signs but has leveled off
Orpik- B looked spry but you play him 10 games in a row he's going to get injured
Holtby- B- .906 and 6-7, he's been alright I guess
Copley- B .899 and 4-3, he's been alright

Reirden- B been alright

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
All ratings are relative to my expectation coming into the season:

Ovechkin- (A) Ovi do as Ovi is.
Kuznetsov- (B-)His best games, he is a top-5 center in the league. His worst, he drags his whole line down.
Wilson- (C) The shear stupidity of that hit/suspension will take me a little time to get over.
Vrana- (B-) Barely. If he wants to carve out a long top-6 career, he needs way more consistency shift to shift. Disappears for long stretches.
Backstrom- (A) Tower of power.
Oshie- (A) See above.
Burakovsky- (F) I got nothing.
Eller- (B) More or less what I expect from him.
Connolly- (A) He has brainwashed me to expect exactly what he delivers. He is an enigma but he is our enigma.
Stephenson- (F) I had high expectations and I'm seen nothing.
Boyd- (?) Seems OK, I haven't formed an opinion yet.
Dowd- (D) He plays 4th line center to a barely passable level.
DSP- (B-) Looks like regular DSP to me. Did you guys expect 20 goals out of him or something?
Jaskin- (D) Back to wavers.
Carlson- (A) Picking up right where he left off.
Niskanen- (C--) Trying to be generous. Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes.
Orlov- (C--) I think he is quite simply out of shape. People are blowing by him with ease. Good internal competition with Niskanen for most mistakes made.
Kempney- (B-) Started off a bit rough, looked better lately. I expect him to be a #4/5 who fits on our top pair, nothing more.
Djoos- (B--) I struggle with this one. Puck on his stick, he is great. Defending against forecheck, he gets pushed out of the way to easily. He should do something about that. Shades of Shattenkirk.
Bowey- (B) I am shocked, he might turn out to be an NHLer yet. Trying to do much too much the last few games. Keep it simple.
Orpik- (O) Special grade reserved for Orpiks.
Holtby- (C) He should stop more pucks.
Copley- (B) He stops appropriate amount of pucks

Reirden- Seems fine. He has a very kind smile.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Ovechkin - (A+) Picked off where he left off in the playoffs. Great.
Kuznetsov - (A-) A+ at the start of the season. B lately. Inconsistent.
Wilson - (A+) Huge impact straight away. If you count the suspension in, then C+. I didn't.

Vrana - (B) Has made some strides, but still not playing to his full potential.
Backstrom - (A) Very good.
Oshie - (A) Very good aswell.

Burakovsky - (D-) Still hasn't taken the next step. Doesn't produce enough for a player at his role.
Eller - (C-) Offensively he has been fine, arguably better than i expected. Defensively he has been terrible and needs to improve.
Connolly - (B+) Offensively better than i expected. Defensively aswell. Gets lost at times.

Stephenson - (D+) Propably one of my bigger disappointments so far. Good on the PK but otherwise barely an NHL'er.
Boyd - (C) Offensively better than i expected. Bleeds goals against though. Small sample size and ~65 DZ starts though. ?
DSP - (D+) Meh production ES. Lots of goals against. Tough zone starts (~64% DZ), though.

Dowd - (C-) Eye test says AHL, but he doesn't give up a lot of goals against ES or PK.
Jaskin - (B) Pleasantly surprised. Solid defensive player. I don't see the offensive upside. Good bottom-6 player. PK role?

Carlson - (A+) Well worth his new contract. Needs to cut down on the goals against a bit and he'll go for Norris.
Kempny - (C+) Not as good as last season. Still good ES player. Needs to improve on the PK.

Niskanen - (C) Still hangover? He hasn't been terrible but capable of being better. Plays very tough minutes.
Orlov - (D) Solid production, but lots of goals against. Needs to improve both ES and PK.

Djoos - (B+) Very good ES player. Drives play and doesn't give up many goals against. Easy role, though.
Bowey - (A-) Most positive surprise. Very good ES. Gives up least ES GA/60 on the team. - for his play on the PK.
Orpik - (C) Small sample size, but he was fine ES. Needs to be much better on the PK, like a lot of guys.

Holtby - (D) Hang out to dry most of the season, but the standards are really high. Needs to be better.
Copley - (B) I didn't expect him to keep that role but he's been solid. Some good games, some bad.

Reirden - (TBD) Still way too early to judge. If i graded him now it wouldn't have been flattering but that would have been unfair to him since he jumped into a really tough situation and i don't think many expected them to start the season well. They've been fine, but certain things need to improve, and likely will. I'll expect them to be much better in the 2nd half of the season.

Reactions: billcook

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
You all are too hard on Bura. I noticed he's not that bad when team is winning. Let's not trade away our champions. Besides fancy points stats, Caps players have very valuable experience that was earned with blood and sweat.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
You all are too hard on Bura. I noticed he's not that bad when team is winning. Let's not trade away our champions. Besides fancy points stats, Caps players have very valuable experience that was earned with blood and sweat.
We have people in Hershey I'd rather get his reps .

No space for passengers on this ride

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Lets be careful about giving such strong grading to a guy likely to get waived shortly.
lol @ Jaskin getting waived shortly.

If they unload him, it's because of salary restrictions, not because he's played poorly. He's very clealry been better than guys like DSP, Connolly, Stephenson, and Dowd.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
lol @ Jaskin getting waived shortly.

If they unload him, it's because of salary restrictions, not because he's played poorly. He's very clealry been better than guys like DSP, Connolly, Stephenson, and Dowd.

disagree with Stephenson and DSP but I understand it and it's close, but Connolly?!? That's outrageous.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

isnt' that how winning teams start to fall? when they become to loyal to their "winners"

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
disagree with Stephenson and DSP but I understand it and it's close, but Connolly?!? That's outrageous.
It may be recency bias talking, but Connolly's only had 2 points in his last 8 games. He had a hot start for the year, fueled by him playing with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov the first few games, and has been relatively quiet since then.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
It may be recency bias talking, but Connolly's only had 2 points in his last 8 games. He had a hot start for the year, fueled by him playing with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov the first few games, and has been relatively quiet since then.

That's a lot of production compared to Jaskin, who produces nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad