Quarter Season Report Cards

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
For half your list, it's pretty good. The other half is ludicrous. Kapanen deserves a solid A. He's been fantastic with and without Matthews and this is his breakout season. He's a terror on all 200 feet of the ice.

Kadri deserves less than a B-. He's been playing ugly for awhile now, and while it won't last, he should be more consistent. He's getting a C- from me.

Leivo has been fantastic for the role he's playing on the fourth line and on the power play. He deserves at least a B.

Hainsey gets a failing grade from me. He shouldn't be on the top pairing. An easy F for me.

Dermott has been the Leafs best defensive defenseman. But a mile. How can you give him anything less than an A+? His possession numbers are unreal, and the team is so much better when he's on the ice.

Ozhiganov probably deserves at most a B. He's not been bad. His possession numbers have been decent alongside Dermott and he's slowly growing into his role on the third pairing. His decision making has been very good, and he's starting ot fit into the system.

Sparks... D+?! Are you insane?
Instead of ripping his list which he put some thought and time into, just make your own list with your own grades you would approve of. Everyone will disagree with a few here and there. That's life.

Reactions: zaqq

Cotton

May 13, 2013
For half your list, it's pretty good. The other half is ludicrous. Kapanen deserves a solid A. He's been fantastic with and without Matthews and this is his breakout season. He's a terror on all 200 feet of the ice.

Kadri deserves less than a B-. He's been playing ugly for awhile now, and while it won't last, he should be more consistent. He's getting a C- from me.

Leivo has been fantastic for the role he's playing on the fourth line and on the power play. He deserves at least a B.

Hainsey gets a failing grade from me. He shouldn't be on the top pairing. An easy F for me.

Dermott has been the Leafs best defensive defenseman. But a mile. How can you give him anything less than an A+? His possession numbers are unreal, and the team is so much better when he's on the ice.

Ozhiganov probably deserves at most a B. He's not been bad. His possession numbers have been decent alongside Dermott and he's slowly growing into his role on the third pairing. His decision making has been very good, and he's starting ot fit into the system.

Sparks... D+?! Are you insane?

You got to weigh them against each other, I had kappy at an A but then Marner an A+? There is a larger separation between them than a +. So I tried knocking grades back a bit.

Yes on Sparks, prior to last night his numbers weren't even average for the AHL, and only 1 of his 4 games he wasnt terrible in, and that was thanks to team play. If you weren't aware my post is several days old.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
:sabres

Overall: A - Team is exceeding expectations and playing some really fun hockey

Jeff Skinner (A+) - Jack Eichel (A) - Jason Pominville (C+)
Conor Sheary (B-) - Casey Mittelstadt (B) - Kyle Okposo (B-)
Tage Thompson (D) - Evan Rodrigues (B-) - Sam Reinhart (B+)
Patrik Berglund (B-) - Johan Larsson (A) - Zemgus Girgensons (A)
Vladimir Sobotka (D)
Remi Elie (D-)
Scott Wilson (N/A)

Jake McCabe (B) - Rasmus Ristolainen (B+)
Rasmus Dahlin (A) - Zach Bogosian (B)
Marco Scandella (C+) - Casey Nelson (C)
Nathan Beaulieu (D)
Matt Hunwick (N/A)

Carter Hutton (A)
Linus Ullmark (B+)

This is almost exactly how I would rate them. The Only thing I might change is Scandella to a C-

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Isles b+

Players Based on expectations
Lee b Nelson a+ bailey a+
Beavillier b- barzal b eberle b-
Kuhnackle c+ filpulla a Komorov b
Martin b cizikas b clutterbuck d
Johnston c
Fritz c
gionta d

Leddy c- pulock c
Hickey a mayfield a
Pelech f boychuk d
Sbisa f

Greiss a+
Lehner b+

Trotz a+

Last edited:
Reactions: Cygnusx1018

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Isles b+

Players Based on expectations
Lee b Nelson a+ bailey a+
Beavillier b- barzal b eberle b-
Kuhnackle c+ filpulla a Komorov b
Martin b cizikas b clutterbuck d
Johnston c
Fritz c
gionta d

Leddy c- pulock c
Hickey a mayfield a
Pelech f boychuk d
Sbisa f

Greiss a+
Lehner b+

Trotz a+
A for the Hick? You must love +/-!

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Winnipeg Jets
Wheeler B PP production is though the roof but 5v5 play is declining rapidly
Scheifele B+ Not struggling as much as Wheeler at 5v5, but not where he should be. Shorter shifts and not playing 22 min a night would help IMO
Connor – A Jets best player so far this year
Laine B A force on the PP, but the Laine Little Ehlers line doesn’t work 5v5 and the coach just keeps going back to it.
Little C+ Laine Little Ehlers line doesn’t work 5v5 and the coach just keeps going back to it.
Ehlers C+ Laine Little Ehlers line doesn’t work 5v5 and the coach just keeps going back to it.
Lowry B- he’s been ok, but not dominating the way his line did last year
Copp – cf Lowry
Tanev – cf Lowry
Perreault C+ Stuck with limited ice time so Paul Maurice can overwork the top line
Roslovic C Stuck with limited ice time so Paul Maurice can overwork the top line
Petan C Stuck with limited ice time so Paul Maurice can overwork the top line
Lemieux D doesn’t do nearly enough to justify his boneheaded plays and bad attitude

Morrissey B+ playing well, but not quite as well as last year
Trouba B+ playing well, but not quite as well as last year
Byfuglien B Becoming more dependable but not a force 5v5 every single game they way he was younger. PP numbers are great but it’s not his PP anymore.
Chiarot C+ Making the most of his limited ability
Myers F bottom pair D at this point
Kulikov F he was getting back into form until yet another back injury last year and hasn’t been able to get his game back. Should consider retirement.
Morrow F looked good playing with Buff in the playoffs last year, but Buff can do that. The Morrow – Myers pair has been a train wreck. Needs to be in the press box so Niku can play there.

Hellebuyck C not playing like he needs to
Brossoit B pleasant surprise as a backup thus far.

Coaching C- PP is carrying the team, but overall player use is hurting the team. Top line is overplayed and it’s hurting them. Keeps going back the he Little Laine, Ehlers line that has never ever worked. Underutilizing guys further down in the lineup.

Overall
Inconsistent and disappointing. Giving up to many goals at key times, not playing as well in their own zone as last year, not getting enough sustained pressure and taking to many penalties.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The amount of "A's" and high "B's" I am seeing from fans on teams in the bottom half of the league is not only puzzling, but hilarious. Only post I get any sense of honesty is that San Jose Sharks post.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
@ESH, I'm afraid I have to take umbrage to your assessments of TJ Brodie and David Rittich.

T.J. Brodie - C+ I guess he looks better beside Giordano than he did away from him. He's the best skater on the Flames, and a good passer, he's just nowhere near the player he was 3 years ago.
David Rittich - B+ he's been great, and hopefully he'll get the reigns for now. I'm a little bit worried about him as the starter, because last season when Smith went down with injury is when Rittich started to falter (after a great start to the season).

Brodie has been great so far this year. He doesn't deserve the C+ you've assigned him. He's leading the league in +/- with a +16, he currently has 9 points and is on pace to score 30, and he has a CF% of 54.9. Giordano, by having Brodie as his partner this season, now has 22 pts (last year at this time he had 10) and his +/- is +13 (last year at this time he was +5) and is currently a strong early season contender for the Norris. The Brodano team is back!

As to David Rittich, he currently has a 8-2 win/loss record with a GAA of 2.04 and a Sv% of .930. Those stats put him in 3rd and 4th place among NHL goalies with 10 or more games played. He's been great. Its not fair to base your grade on what might happen in the future. Thats like handing in an A+ English essay and the teacher says great essay but I'm only going to give you a B+ because your future essays might be worse.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
@ESH, I'm afraid I have to take umbrage to your assessments of TJ Brodie and David Rittich.

Brodie has been great so far this year. He doesn't deserve the C+ you've assigned him. He's leading the league in +/- with a +16, he currently has 9 points and is on pace to score 30, and he has a CF% of 54.9. Giordano, by having Brodie as his partner this season, now has 22 pts (last year at this time he had 10) and his +/- is +13 (last year at this time he was +5) and is currently a strong early season contender for the Norris. The Brodano team is back!

As to David Rittich, he currently has a 8-2 win/loss record with a GAA of 2.04 and a Sv% of .930. Those stats put him in 3rd and 4th place among NHL goalies with 10 or more games played. He's been great. Its not fair to base your grade on what might happen in the future. Thats like handing in an A+ English essay and the teacher says great essay but I'm only going to give you a B+ because your future essays might be worse.

When I made this thread Brodie had 6 points and was +10. I don’t think this sudden increase in production following 2 blowout wins changes my opinion of him much. Maybe he deserves a bit better mark, but I don’t think he’s been anything special.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Buffalo Sabres (grades are not curved based upon expectation... grades are like college grades, players are graded against the rest of the NHL)

Skinner: A, Eichel :A, Reinhart B
Sheary: C, Mittlestadt: C-,Okposo: B-
Thompson: D+, Rodrigues: C, Pominville: B+
Girgensons: D, Larsson: D+, Berglund: D+
Sobtoka: C-, Elie: F

McCabe: C, Ristolainen: C+
Dahlin: B+, Bogosion: B-
Nelson: D, Scandella: C-

Beaulieu: D (no Fs on defense is a major reason why we are doing better than last year, also Dahlin being a B+ defenseman as an 18 year old is tremendous)

Hutton: B+
Ullmark: B+ (this is the major reason for improvement, last year, our goaltending was an F)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
When I made this thread Brodie had 6 points and was +10. I don’t think this sudden increase in production following 2 blowout wins changes my opinion of him much. Maybe he deserves a bit better mark, but I don’t think he’s been anything special.
We will have to disagree then. In my opinion Brodie has been one of the better Flames defensemen this season which is saying a lot since the other top 4 have been great. I really think his play for the last two seasons under Gulutzan's system and playing the left side (a side he repeatedly stated that he was uncomfortable playing on) is shading your opinion somewhat.... which is understandable if it is. This year, Brodie is playing like the Brodie of 2014-2016 not the Brodie of 2016-2018.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Connor A+
Wheeler A
Scheifele A
Laine A-
Little B+
Ehlers B
Lowry B
Tanev B-
Copp C+
Petan C
Roslovic D
Perreault D
Lemieux D-

Morrissey A
Byfuglien B+
Trouba B+
Chiarot C+
Kulikov D
Morrow D-
Myers D-

Hellebuyck B
Brossoit A-

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Vegas:

Alex Tuch: A (he's been a force since his return from injury. With the second line being a hell nightmare of injuries, his strong play has been much needed by Vegas. He's playing the same speedy, soft hands, fearless style of hockey but with better playmaking and spot picking than he did as a rookie. His confidence is growing all the time and only Marchesseault stands as a direct competitor for best forward on the team)

Jonathan Marchesseault: A- (gets a minus because he was a big part of the problem with the offense in the sense that Vegas' response to active collapsing defense was to just keep trying to chuck passes through traffic and hope it gets through and he did this a lot but especially on the powerplay which killed a lot of possession chances. But, outside of that he was the biggest individual offensive presence with Tuch out and is still dangerous nearly every time he's on the ice)

Ryan Reaves: B+ (Probably the only Vegas player to actually build on a good playoffs performance. The fourth line has been the most consistently good line on the team but Reaves and his energy is the biggest cause of that. As a result the fourth line is now the third line and have contributed good offense. Reaves is the same intimidating presence he always in, but he's even faster and offensively hungry than before.)

William Carrier: B+ (Looks like a whole new player this year. He was always fast and always a bruiser, but he's been doing all the same things he did last year while playing actually competent offensive hockey. If the top line played with even half the energy Carrier plays with, Vegas would be a lot more successful this year IMO)

Cody Eakin: B+ (he has been surprisingly good this year. Especially with Haula and Stastny injured. Last year he was the subject of a lot of my anger with lackadaisical plays on and off the puck. This year he looks like a new man. Arguably the best defensive forward and making some terrific plays with the puck. He misses an A grade because of the occasional stupid pass to no one, but in fairness, most guys on the team are doing that this year.)

Rielly Smith: B (in my book Smith comes just shy of a B+ but I still feel like he and Karlsson have lost a big step in their frustration. All four lines have had horrible puck luck with many shots off posts, sure goals being stopped by miraculous saves, other teams cracking down way harder on them defensively. He and Wild Bill have still been dangerous, but they have a higher level they've played at before. They've been getting better but aren't quite there yet)

William Karlsson: B (see above. He's not playing with as much confidence as last year.)

Marc Andre Fleury: B (feels weird to not give the NHL's shutout leader a higher grade, but the truth is he hasn't been consistent enough. Yes, the defense hasn't been as strong as it could be but he also hasn't been as good as he could be)

Pierre Edouard Bellemare: B (there are times he is the guy driving the line with Reaves and Carrier but more often than not, it's those two driving the play with PEB chipping in with solid forecheck plays or keep ins at the point, or board battles. No slight, he's been good, but the other two have been better.)

Shea Theodore: B- (the only defenseman I can really give a B grade to. And even then, despite his being the best defenseman in the absence of Schmidt, he's still had his trouble spots. It just hasn't been as often as the others, and his puck distribution and offensive production lands him in the B range.)

Max Pacioretty: B- (has been coming alive of late, but even when he was struggling he was a useful forechecker)

Brayden McNabb: C+ (closest to Theodore in terms of not being a true trouble spot on the blueline. Unfortunately, he has had his share of "uh-oh" moments)

Tomas Nosek: C+ (Occasionally good for offensive pressure. Pretty decent defensively, not too much of an impact maker though)

Ryan Carpenter: C (like Nosek but even less impactful imo)

Brad Hunt: C (is a trouble spot defensively but not atrocious, and his energy and movement of the puck was useful. It's puzzling to me that John Merrill got so much playing time when Hunt was clearly miles better)

Colin Miller: C- (only thing saving him from a D grade is his play on the puck which at least gives some good possession time to Vegas, but he's only started really producing in recent games. Defensively, he's ranged from "eh" to "holy f*** what are you even doing?" Since Schmidt's return, presumably he doesn't have as much pressure on his back and he's looked better.)

Erik Haula: C- (started to pick it up just before his injury, but my god was he ineffective. All speed no substance. The puck was dying on his stick so often and he utterly failed to develop any chemistry with Tuch or Pacioretty.)

Deryk Engelland: D+ (his age is really starting to show. It's not that the effort isn't there, it's that his legs just aren't carrying him as well and he's been beat a lot. Because of his experience and smarts, he is occasionally in good position to make a stellar defensive play, but his tendency to get beat is hurting the team.)

Nick Holden: D (teetering on a D-. He does his job competently here and there but far too often he is completely out of position or missing from the play entirely)

John Merrill: F (an unmitigated disaster in his own zone. Why Gallant puts ANY trust in him is beyond me. He only makes good defensive plays when attacking forwards challenge him softly enough for him to just reach his stick out and break it up. So often he doesn't even know where the puck is. I would say that his tendency to activate offensively is good since he is able to get pucks to the net from up close, but they always hit the goalie's chest, and he causes a lot of odd man rushes the other way by doing that. I hate him so much. He's the first VGK player to get a "f*** 'x player'" from me.)

Too few games to judge: Nate Schmidt, Paul Stastny.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Alright everybody I wanna hear about how your players have been doing this season. Grade them/rank them/describe them; I don't care how you do it.

For :flames:

T.J. Brodie - C+ I guess he looks better beside Giordano than he did away from him. He's the best skater on the Flames, and a good passer, he's just nowhere near the player he was 3 years ago.

Brodie a C+? Not sure if you have even watched and Flames games this season if you think Brodie is a C+. He is back to being his elite self now that dipshit Glen Gulutzan is gone.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Brodie a C+? Not sure if you have even watched and Flames games this season if you think Brodie is a C+. He is back to being his elite self now that dip**** Glen Gulutzan is gone.

I’ve watched almost every Flames game this year. He’s been fine, but he’s certainly nowhere near elite. He’s been better in the games since I posted that, but I don’t think he’s anything special. He’s not much of a factor in the offensive zone and he’s weak along the boards and in front of the net. Great skater, decent passer, but he’s still not 2014-2016 level like another poster suggested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->