TSN: Quarter point grades by Craig Button

Capitaine Subban*

Well what are our options....

Do you want Flash on Chuckys wing?

Our options kinda suck ... our hope is on RW, either Semin or any kid could help fulfill Chucky's offensive potential.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Desharnais deserve credit for Desharnais' points. End of story.
Just like Flash deserve credit for his own. But again, you guys ALWAYS think that Desharnais is the catalyst of everything, just like he was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO important to Pacioretty's success.

Well, Pacioretty is on pace for 41 goals/ 74 points, career high away from Desharnais AND NOT playing in a sheltered offensive way. Yet, i heard you and thousand of Habs Fans saying for 3 years that Plekanec wouldn't be able to make Pacioretty produce like DD and that he and Desharnais had that "craaaaaazy chemistry" that couldn't be broken.

The flipside is that Desharnais is also on pace for career highs away from Pacioretty AND not playing in a sheltered offensive way either (his QoC is above average on team and his zonal deployment is, for all intents and purposes, neutral)...

To me, that mean three things :
- Star players don't see their production influenced very much by linemates. Pacioretty is one of these star players. I think THAT was obvious. If anything, and to be honest, I thought DD had a slight positive influence on Patches goal totals and a slight negative influence on Patches assists totals. So, all in all, no real influence.

- Desharnais, who isn't a star player, is playing very well this season.

- Desharnais, at some point, developped a "pass to Patches" reflex that made him a lesser player. In other words, DD brought nothing to Pacioretty production-Wise, while Patches was arguably detrimental (though no fault of his own) to DD's play. I hesitate before saying "detrimental to production", because 1/4 season and part of DD's line production is not sustainable.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Islander fan here. I can't blame everything on Brian Strait.lol
You guys are for real. Should be a nice 100 or more games this season for you.
Glad our season series is finished.

Question, does PK often deliver late cheap shots? Not starting a fight at all. Hey the refs let him do what he wants so it's ok . He absolutely is the full package as a player.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Desharnais deserve credit for Desharnais' points. End of story.
Just like Flash deserve credit for his own. But again, you guys ALWAYS think that Desharnais is the catalyst of everything, just like he was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO important to Pacioretty's success.

Well, Pacioretty is on pace for 41 goals/ 74 points, career high away from Desharnais AND NOT playing in a sheltered offensive way. Yet, i heard you and thousand of Habs Fans saying for 3 years that Plekanec wouldn't be able to make Pacioretty produce like DD and that he and Desharnais had that "craaaaaazy chemistry" that couldn't be broken.

Again, you're going off on an exaggeration.

I don't think anybody said Desharnais made Pacioretty, but he did contribute to his goal scoring, just like Gallagher and Plekanec are doing now.

Anybody saying that Desharnais isn't making Flesischmann and Weise look better than say playing with Eller is out of their mind.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Our options kinda suck ... our hope is on RW, either Semin or any kid could help fulfill Chucky's offensive potential.

I think Bergevin is making certain that Therrien has help in promotion and deployment decisions. He's not independent anymore, for sure.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
First of all his pace is 22 goals, second of all, there is more to playing in the top 6 than just goals. Eller has poor vision which affects Galchenyuk's ability to score, he only has 2 ES goals in 22 games.

I'd bet my house he won't score 20 as he always dips in Jan-March every year.

And why Galchenyuk or hasn't hasn't score more PP goals in a great offensive situation with the great Desharnais as a playmaker??????????

Only one goal on the PP and it comes with the help of the D

If it's Eller's fault that Galchenyuk isn't scoring (cause with 5 players on the ice, we all know that the only pass should come from the stick of Eller for Galchenyuk to score goals:shakehead), then it's Desharnais' fault for Galchenyuk not scoring on the PP.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Question, does PK often deliver late cheap shots? Not starting a fight at all. Hey the refs let him do what he wants so it's ok . He absolutely is the full package as a player.

That bad as the punch against... (was it Brock Nelson?) ? No.

He does spend quite a bit of energy on post-whistle scrums, however.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax

Not really, but he has no problem with whining, embellishing and playing chippy. He's more "cheap" after the whistle I would say. You take the good and the bad with him, he's been more mature this year though.

Capitaine Subban*

And why Galchenyuk or hasn't hasn't score more PP goals in a great offensive situation with the great Desharnais as a playmaker??????????

If it's Eller's fault that Galchenyuk isn't scoring (cause with 5 players on the ice, we all know that the only pass should come from the stick of Eller for Galchenyuk to score goals:shakehead), then it's Desharnais' fault for Galchenyuk not scoring on the PP.

Why doesnt any Eller's linemate produce ? :popcorn:
Do we need Bourque to help enabling "beast mode" Eller ?

DD playmaking ability is like Gretzky compare to the tunel vision Eller has.
Eller is a skill energy guy.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Again, you're going off on an exaggeration.

I don't think anybody said Desharnais made Pacioretty, but he did contribute to his goal scoring, just like Gallagher and Plekanec are doing now.

Anybody saying that Desharnais isn't making Flesischmann and Weise look better than say playing with Eller is out of their mind.

IF they were playing with Eller, they wouldn't be playing an excluisve offensive role like they are doing with Desharnais. Of course THAT make them look better as it would any players.

Weise from huge defensive role to huge offensive role is the reason why Weise is producing....that and tons of luck too.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Pacioretty with an A is hilarious.

Only when an opponent shoves Price. I doubt Boychuk would just stand there watching if an opponent shoved Halak.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Because, apparently, DD skills are better used as a corner man (!) and a netcrasher.

Seriously, I think there's merit in having a small player with a ridiculously short reach to crash the net. Easier to control close pucks than it is for a taller player. Of course, that also means he will miss on puck that are further.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
IF they were playing with Eller, they wouldn't be playing an excluisve offensive role like they are doing with Desharnais. Of course THAT make them look better as it would any players.

Weise from huge defensive role to huge offensive role is the reason why Weise is producing....that and tons of luck too.

You might want to look at Eller and DD deployment this season....

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Why doesnt any Eller's linemate produce ? :popcorn:
Do we need Bourque to help enabling "beast mode" Eller ?

DD playmaking ability is like Gretzky to the tunel vision Eller has.
Eller is a skill energy guy.

Galchenyuk is on pace to have the same points total that he did last year playing with Plekanec, Gallagher, Pacioretty and Desharnais......Eller isn't making him worst or anything.

As for Semin....well, that's another story.
Like i said, there's 5 players on the ice.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
The truth is: The entire Galchenyuk line has struggled, and we should expect more.

Now that they are playing 3rd line minutes, it's unfair to expect them to produce on par with other 2nd lines in the league, the goalposts need to be adjusted.

Having an actual top 6 RW on that line would obviously have a big impact on that line. The faults of that line do not lie solely on Eller's shoulders.

I don't blame Therrien for playing the DD line more, they deserve it. But we need to adjust expectations. Eller and Galchenyuk are playing 3rd line minutes atm......let's judge them with that in mind.

Capitaine Subban*

The truth is: The entire Galchenyuk line has struggled, and we should expect more.

Now that they are playing 3rd line minutes, it's unfair to expect them to produce on par with other 2nd lines in the league, the goalposts need to be adjusted.

Having an actual top 6 RW on that line would obviously have a big impact on that line. The faults of that line do not lie solely on Eller's shoulders.

I don't blame Therrien for playing the DD line more, they deserve it. But we need to adjust expectations. Eller and Galchenyuk are playing 3rd line minutes atm......let's judge them with that in mind.

:laugh:

Nice post I agree mostly

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
SAT
Calculation = (5 on 5): Team shots on goal + team missed shots + opponent blocked shots (excluding empty net). Also called Corsi for

Assists come on a goal, goal comes from a shot attemps.
SAT are those from all the player on the ice.

When Eller is on the ice, there was 252 shot attempts toward the net from him and his linesmates. So even if DD doesn't shot and make a pass, that pass might results in a SAT....

So you saying that Eller is shooting fomr everywhere and have more SAT than DD because Eller shoot more or have lack of vision is not true.

Don't laugh at post who don't really get...

Fair enough, pardon me for my ignorance.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Not sure how playing with Galchenyuk equates to 4th line minutes.

They started the year as the 2nd line and got outplayed by the Desharnais line.

It's rather quite funny to hear you not give Desharnais any credit for anything...Weise goes from a 4th liner to a guy on pace for 34 goals and Fleischmann goes from 27 points last year to a 56 point pace...yet their center deserves no credit for it...comical.

Yes DD outplayed Galchenyuk's line. Good for you. Want a cookie? A line where Semin scored 6 goals last year and looks even worst this year if that's even possible. Galchenyuk playing center for the first time and Eller being converted to wing. Who ever thought that line was going to fail? Not me and certainly not our magnificient coach with all his years of experience right? All the tools to succeed...

But you're right Eller ficking sucks. on pace for 34 goals with 2nd line icetime and PP = amazing but Eller with 24 goal pace with 4th line ice time and no PP = sucks! I agree with you!

It's all Eller's fault that Semin sucks and Galchenyuk scores an ES goal every 12 games. I agree with you but wait...Galchenyuk didn't play with Eller last year...Galch scored one goal in 12 playoff games...ONE. Same as DD, Plekanec and Eller but Eller sucks even though he doesn't get PP. I agree with you!

You have to go back to Feb 12. to find the last time Galch scored an ES goal. That's one goal in 27 games!! Wait 27 must be Galchenyuk's lucky number! But you're right Eller sucks. He's a cancer and it's all his fault.

Ironically everybody keeps saying Galcheyuk is going to face tougher competition if he was playing on the first line but all of his points playing with Pacioretty came from even strength. Go figure.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Mostly agree with it. I think an F for Semin is way too harsh. I'd give Eller a bump to a B. And I don't see how Desharnais is anything but an A+ this year. How can you ask for anything more from that guy?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Really surprised at DD being significantly lower than weise and flash.

Petry too low and Subban and markov should be just a bit lower.

DSP and mitchell are too low in my opinion if we are basing this on expectations like the article mentionned. As is condon.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Only to tavares and he's just joking around with him. They're good friends. He's not dirty at all.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Eller is playing in a role that's very offensive centered and he still doesn't generate much offense.

If you put a guy with no offensive skill in an offensive role, that player still won't do much. Semin looks finished and got a ton of opportunities in offensive situations.

People here overplay the "role" factor. Plekanec plays a ton of tough minutes and he still produces excellent offensive numbers.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Well what are our options....

Do you want Flash on Chuckys wing?

I do. I wanted the Gallys reunited with Flash on the lw, Weise on the topline and DD centering Eller and DSP. Give Chuck some real skill guys. Now with Gallagher hurt, I'd go Flash and DSP/Ghetto

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I do. I wanted the Gallys reunited with Flash on the lw, Weise on the topline and DD centering Eller and DSP. Give Chuck some real skill guys. Now with Gallagher hurt, I'd go Flash and DSP/Ghetto

Patch, Gally, DD, Flash, and Weise are all on pace for career seasons, might as well shuffle the lines to better suit Chucky.

Nynja*

Eller did nothing on that play, Flesischmann took a loose puck and went in and sniped it home.

Oh boy lol
it was a 2-0 and you're telling us Eller did nothing? His mere presence on a 2-0 is doing something. Greiss is playing the middle of the net, not lined up squarely with Flash, incase a pass is made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->