GDT: Quarter Final: Finland Vs United States | 11:30AM EST 5:30PM CET | FIN 1 - 0 USA

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It never pays to underestimate Finnish squash. Speaking of Finish, Ranta will go nuts and score 2.5 goals, leading the team to a loss.

I just hope the refs don't decide to "star" in this game.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Close low scoring will go to Finland if it turns into a track meet USA takes it easy

Wondering if Annunen’s conditioning isn’t the best but some days off should help

Reactions: jj cale

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I guess the Finns could win but the money would be on the US as they do have the better team right now.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because its Finland I expect a hard fought grinder game.

I do too, but I think our team will be ready to play and will win because we are the better team. Wahlstrom, Samuelsson, Miller and Knight have lost two finals to Finland. I don’t think they’ll let the team take this game lightly because Finland is struggling coming into the game.

Last edited:

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think the US takes this game. They are the better team overall, and if not for a bad break with 3 minutes to go against Canada, where
they got scored on a giveaway, they could have been first place in their pool. Should be the best game in all the QF's.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Either a close Finland win or a blowout US win.
If the Finns can keep it to within a goal after two periods I actually like their chances, U.S has had a rough time with them of late.

The U.S needs to cleanly put it away by the end of the 2nd IMO, put their stamp of dominance on the game.

Reactions: NorCalhockey

Mysteric1000

Feb 13, 2019
I think if Finns can keep it a tight game and especially Annunen finds his God Mode back again US might getting frustrated and momentum starts to shift for the Finns as the game goes closer to end.

On paper however US is as heavy favorite as one can be, but goodness this game is not played based on paper itself, but theres also that tactical and physical element that will also play some role to the outcome.

AllIDoIsLie

Dec 21, 2019
Cheering for Finland. Have not watched the US games so don't have a clue about them. But still feels like they are a better team.

We haven't been showing much in my opinion.

Either 6-1 to USA (because of that embarrassing olympic exit some years ago) or 3-1 to Finland (because that seems like realistic numbers if we some how manage to step up to the task) .

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Many of us on this board joked at the start of the tournament about how Finland have been alternating gold medals and disastrous tournaments. According to the pattern, this year is supposed to be a colossal failure, and with how the group play has gone and set this match-up, this honestly feels exactly how an early Finnish exit would transpire.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Many of us on this board joked at the start of the tournament about how Finland have been alternating gold medals and disastrous tournaments. According to the pattern, this year is supposed to be a colossal failure, and with how the group play has gone and set this match-up, this honestly feels exactly how an early Finnish exit would transpire.
Gold or nothing. That is how we do it. :laugh:

Reynys

Apr 30, 2011
This might not be pretty if Fins play simmilar fashion they played against Swiss.

sadpanda

May 19, 2016
Stockholm
Expect USA to win. Annunen needs to stand on his head for us to win. I think we need to start shooting towards the net aswell to have a chance.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Think Finland has more of a chance here than against Russia. More in the sense than 1.5% is bigger than 1%. Annunen will have to absolutely stand on his head. 5-2 USA.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
Somewhat of a non discript Finnish squad, hard to get a read on them from as they have been all over the place. The U.S. is hands down better and even if the Americans do not play their A+ game, they should handily take this one.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Americans have a lot more skill but the Finns definitely are not a team that the Americans can look past.

I could easily see a blowout win for the Yanks but I wouldn’t be shocked if the Finns were able to grind out a win in a close 3-2 type game.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
If the Finns can keep it to within a goal after two periods I actually like their chances, U.S has had a rough time with them of late.

The U.S needs to cleanly put it away by the end of the 2nd IMO, put their stamp of dominance on the game.
Yep that’s how I see it too. Good post.

Reactions: jj cale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad