GDT: Quarter Final: Czech Republic Vs Sweden | 2:00PM EST 8:00PM CET | SWE 5 - 0 CZE

swedehollow

Aug 15, 2018
What are you talking about?
I din't see any dirty play against your players., there was also no penalty till the end of the game.
Is that some psychological game not to touch your players so they have more space in the game?
They should choose florbal instead of hockey then.
The Slovaks looked a little bit salty at the end but not overly dirty. Slight overreaction from some Swedes here. No biggie.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What are Czech's chances of beating Sweden?.
10%

All out hopes rest on intangibles.

Eg. There is always one quarter upset and we haven't had a close game yet.
Our goalie goes all world
The swedes get food poisoning
The swedes hit several posts and we get a crazy bounce

Czechs have shown a lot of battle and heart. I've really enjoyed watching them.
Sweden is deep and a legit gold medal contender. Also, best power play vs worst penalty takers.

The only advantages we have are that we are very battle tested and will have an insane crowd behind us.

Sweden needs to score early.

JHB

Feb 15, 2019
Yes that is insane, how did this record even happen.

He's right though. Sweden is dominant in group stage play. Both in the Juniors and in Senior hockey. But once it comes time for playoffs, anything can happen.

I'd still give Sweden a 70% chance of advancing though.

Reactions: LiveeviL

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He's right though. Sweden is dominant in group stage play. Both in the Juniors and in Senior hockey. But once it comes time for playoffs, anything can happen.

I'd still give Sweden a 70% chance of advancing though.

Quite dominant in quarterfinals too.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Quite dominant in quarterfinals too.
I don't know where to find quarter final results but I did look up medals:
upload_2020-1-2_13-13-46.png

I used yellow highlighter for the Swedish medals and Pink highlighter for all the Czech ones.lol

Sweden has 1 medal in the last 5 years despite winning the pool all 5 times (undefeated every single year in pool play). I'd say they have some playoff struggles. Even if they won every single Quarter since 2015 that would mean they lost every semi and Bronze match 4 of those years.

For those wondering... Czechs last medal was 2005 ... we've also only made the semi's ONCE since 2005 and then we got destroyed in the semi and bronze matchs by US/Canada.

Refer back to the dumb and dumber clip above for our 'chances'.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Since I'm on it... Canada and Finland are tied at 2 golds each in that. Most medals is Russia who have medalled 4 out of 5 years (and their round robin play is usually not that great). Ooops, States have 4 medals in 5 years as well (with a Gold). In fact, States have a medal 4 years in a row!

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Since I'm rambling... Sweden just hit 100 players in the NHL... 1 in 6 NHL players are Swedish now. That is insane depth!

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I don't know where to find quarter final results but I did look up medals:
View attachment 301361

I used yellow highlighter for the Swedish medals and Pink highlighter for all the Czech ones.lol

Sweden has 1 medal in the last 5 years despite winning the pool all 5 times (undefeated every single year in pool play). I'd say they have some playoff struggles. Even if they won every single Quarter since 2015 that would mean they lost every semi and Bronze match 4 of those years.

For those wondering... Czechs last medal was 2005 ... we've also only made the semi's ONCE since 2005 and then we got destroyed in the semi and bronze matchs by US/Canada.

Refer back to the dumb and dumber clip above for our 'chances'.lol
The ones without a medal, except for last year, were all 4th place finishes for Sweden. Since 2007 Sweden has only lost one QF: last year's. Who cares about jinxes, eh?

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The ones without a medal, except for last year, were all 4th place finishes for Sweden. Since 2007 Sweden has only lost one QF: last year's. Who cares about jinxes, eh?
TSN just posted it... 5-1 in Quarters. Even when Sweden loses, they create 2 Norris contenders and 5 more NHL players. I'd kill to lose with those kinds of results

Reactions: JHB

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So happy to see Dostal in net with Sir taking opening faceoff.

Czechs just need to survive the first. Can't hang for 60 minutes. I expect a very uneven first period.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Since Czechs lost our elite strikers... I imagine the Swedish strategy is to just run all 4 lines? Their 4th line has about as much talent as our first... Just roll them! No need to line match.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad