GDT: Quarter Final: Czech Republic Vs Sweden | 2:00PM EST 8:00PM CET | SWE 5 - 0 CZE

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov
It was meant as a compliment. I realize money is a big factor. I have visited Czech Republic and Slovakia a couple of years ago. Very beautiful countries and people. All i am saying is that breakup meant a potential hockey power never materialized. Czechoslovakia would have been a true hockey power. Now, both teams struggle year in and year out. For both countries sake, i wish they can turn it around. It is hard seeing both countries get destroyed at home in the QF like this. Even though i cheer for Canada, i want other countries to do well in their hockey programs. Much better for the sport of Hockey that way.

Even if Czechoslovakia stayed one country the results would be same these days. Just more blaming of each other and complaining there should be more/less Slovaks in national team. Maybe Czechoslovakia would be even stronger in late 90/early 00 (definitely on paper, we would peak at 112 NHL players), but Czech-Slovak tension may break those teams.

And TBH I don't think money are the main problem either. When you have no idea what you are doing, no amount of money will save you. When you look at changes they make, you don't get the feeling they have any long term plan. They blame lazy kids, lack of funding, competiton from other sports....but it's never their fault (Czech federation), they just need more time to work.

Reactions: Mehar and Czechboy

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Who the **** is Doctor Ryan Allenby and how does he know what the Czechs were doing?

My first guess.. without researching... Leafs doctor.

Ryan Allenby is Sweden U20's team doctor. He's probably on the bench during the games aswell. I saw that interview and when he said that the Czechs were targeting Sandin. He DID say that but he had english accent to his swedish. I think he just meant that it looks like they were targeting Sandin. Wich they probably were, like most teams would. Its part of the game.

Also, in an article in Aftonbladet, Allenby says both Sandin and Raymond has been looked at and they should be fine for the semis

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Even if Czechoslovakia stayed one country the results would be same these days. Just more blaming of each other and complaining there should be more/less Slovaks in national team. Maybe Czechoslovakia would be even stronger in late 90/early 00 (definitely on paper, we would peak at 112 NHL players), but Czech-Slovak tension may break those teams.

And TBH I don't think money are the main problem either. When you have no idea what you are doing, no amount of money will save you. When you look at changes they make, you don't get the feeling they have any long term plan. They blame lazy kids, lack of funding, competiton from other sports....but it's never their fault (Czech federation), they just need more time to work.
I posted something similar in the Czech board... in a best on best the Czechs would finish 6th... a newly formed Czech and Slovakia team would finish 6th as well. Halak, Tatar and Chara would replace 3 Czechs like Francouz, Vrana and Rutta. You could argue that'd make us better but 'beat Top 5 nation' better?

Agreed money isn't the only issue. First problem is the boys on the bus federation hiring all their pals and not really changing much.

It is funny to see people that don't follow Czech hockey and make immediate observations like 'why does your junior league have 19 teams' or 'why do all your players leave' or 'why can't you develop D'. A toddler could identify our biggest isssues.

Funny you mentioned video games because I've read several articles over the years saying that video games are the problem.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Ryan Allenby is Sweden U20's team doctor. He's probably on the bench during the games aswell. I saw that interview and when he said that the Czechs were targeting Sandin. He DID say that but he had english accent to his swedish. I think he just meant that it looks like they were targeting Sandin. Wich they probably were, like most teams would. Its part of the game.

Also, in an article in Aftonbladet, Allenby says both Sandin and Raymond has been looked at and they should be fine for the semis
https://www.tsn.ca/sweden-sick-and-tired-of-seeing-sandin-get-slashed-at-world-juniors-1.1421537

This made TSN. What bugs me is that this will be the last headline discussing Czech hockey for 5 months on TSN.

Glad everyone is okay for game against Russia. That'll be a great game. I'd expect more controversy than our game though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad