GDT: Quarter Final: Czech Republic Vs Sweden | 2:00PM EST 8:00PM CET | SWE 5 - 0 CZE

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Off the captain wearing his helmet... yes
Of Veleno headbutting a guy ... yes
Of Foote anhilating some poor Sloavak, making zero head contact, and getting kicked out for targetting the head.. yes
Ok, then I know what to make of your judgment. Have a great day.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A little off topic, but as a hockey fan, the worst thing that happened to Czech Hockey, is the breakup of Czechoslovakia. It is a shame to see the Czechs and the Slovaks perform so terrible the last 15 years or so. Ever since the Czechs won Gold in the 1998 Olympics, and some World Championships in the early and mid 2000's- they have seen early exits in the WJHC, World Cup, Olympics, and WHC.

As a hockey fan, it would be great to see the Czech Republic merge with Slovakia again. The breakup has weakened a potential great hockey power. Even though i cheer for Canada, i like to see other nations like the former Czechoslovakia perform well in hockey. Citizens of both countries should demand this so they could be field one great hockey team and sports teams in international competitions. Instead, they are reduced to early exits year in and year out.​

It's awful because you are complimenting us.. but I HATE this take. Not your take but I hear this every year. We split up in 93... it's 2020!

Czechs have more golds at every level than Czechoslovakia.

Both the Czech and Slovak success was a 'hangover' from communism. Sports were free. Training was free.

The one thing no one talks about.. of the big 7... Slovakia and Czechs are the poorest. We're not third world countries or anything like that. However, we're not as affluent as Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia or America. 3 of those countries routinely make a list of 'best countries to live in'.

Outside of our obvious inept federation.. money is a big factor. Hockey is a very expensive sport.

FTR.. I cheer for the Slovaks. Please know it isn't some nationalistic pride speaking here.. .

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well I'm very happy the player's mothers don't ref the game, no idea how that is relevant. So you never slipped on ice before? It's literaly your natural reflex to launch your leg forward to keep your balance. Did the Czech player even care about the situation? My guess is that he understood that it wasn't intentional as well. Berggrens story, the replays, the reaction of the referees and the Czech team, everything points towards the same conclusion.
I wouldn't say everyone... even some Swedes on here saw a kick. Czech was being a dick to the goalie right before it happened.

Are we now calling it a 'slip on the ice'? I thought the ref pulled him down? The Czech pushed him? Is it all 3?

bDtKarlsson

Feb 21, 2014
But the behind the net angle is not screaming innocent to me.

Well the behind the net angle only shows the leg going up between the Czech players legs, ofc it doesn't look innocent. Look at the front angle replay and you'll see the Swede getting pushed and loosing his balance.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well the behind the net angle only shows the leg going up between the Czech players legs, ofc it doesn't look innocent. Look at the front angle replay and you'll see the Swede getting pushed and loosing his balance.
This is why I brought mother's into it.

As a Swede.. I think.. you say your player getting pushed by a ref, pulled by a Czech and slipping. That is that angle
As a Czech.. I saw my guy acting like a dick, in the crease and then very clearly getting kicked in the balls. That angle would also be very easy to find.

I can't stress enough.. I don't care if he gets suspened. Good luck on your journey to gold. You were better and zero complaints.

bDtKarlsson

Feb 21, 2014
Are we now calling it a 'slip on the ice'? I thought the ref pulled him down? The Czech pushed him? Is it all 3?

Haha cmon! He was pushed in the brawl in front of the net and slipped. Not sure how you can find being pushed on ice and as a result slipping on the ice being contradictory.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I'm 50/50 on that...

That gold run... whatever it was.. 6 in a row I think? Canada was the least penalized team every year.
Five in a row. Do you have a link to some penalty stats we can all look at, or do we just have to take your word for it?

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It's awful because you are complimenting us.. but I HATE this take. Not your take but I hear this every year. We split up in 93... it's 2020!

Both the Czech and Slovak success was a 'hangover' from communism. Sports were free. Training was free.

The one thing no one talks about.. of the big 7... Slovakia and Czechs are the poorest. We're not third world countries or anything like that. However, we're not as affluent as Canada, Sweden, Finland, Russia or America. 3 of those countries routinely make a list of 'best countries to live in'.

Outside of our obvious inept federation.. money is a big factor. Hockey is a very expensive sport.

FTR.. I cheer for the Slovaks. Please know it isn't some nationalistic pride speaking here.. .

It was meant as a compliment. I realize money is a big factor. I have visited Czech Republic and Slovakia a couple of years ago. Very beautiful countries and people. All i am saying is that breakup meant a potential hockey power never materialized. Czechoslovakia would have been a true hockey power. Now, both teams struggle year in and year out. For both countries sake, i wish they can turn it around. It is hard seeing both countries get destroyed at home in the QF like this. Even though i cheer for Canada, i want other countries to do well in their hockey programs. Much better for the sport of Hockey that way.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Before the Canada-Suomi trash talking starts, as a Canadian fan, I want to congratulate the Finnish team on its effort, intensity, well coordinated team play and sheer guts today. It’s what most of us have come to expect of all Finnish teams. And, of course, you generally seem to have a top goalie. Well done.

A tough game is coming up on Saturday

bDtKarlsson

Feb 21, 2014
This is why I brought mother's into it.

As a Swede.. I think.. you say your player getting pushed by a ref, pulled by a Czech and slipping. That is that angle
As a Czech.. I saw my guy acting like a dick, in the crease and then very clearly getting kicked in the balls. That angle would also be very easy to find.

I can't stress enough.. I don't care if he gets suspened. Good luck on your journey to gold. You were better and zero complaints.

Honestly I cannot agree with you. The behind the net angle shows 50% of the situation (the kick). The front angle shows 100% (the push, the slip and the kick). But I can agree to disagree, off to bed now for me.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Haha cmon! He was pushed in the brawl in front of the net and slipped. Not sure how you can find being pushed on ice and as a result slipping on the ice being contradictory.
Pushed... I don't play at this level, but if I get pushed... I stay standing. It'd have to be a hell of a push to knock me over.
Slipped... a lot of black ice in my part of the world, I step on my driveway and slip.

It's different.

From your version.. the Swede is almost the victim here!? Czechs pushing him, refs hitting him.. slippery ice. I"m glad he's okay!

Let's see if anything further comes from it. I'd also like to hear the Czechs version of what happened.

Again though.. I don't care that much. I hope Sweden does well. I hope your 2 key players aren't hurt from this game. It'd be a shame.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Five in a row. Do you have a link to some penalty stats we can all look at, or do we just have to take your word for it?
I don't.. but I"m pretty sure that was the Canadian moto... maybe I'm wrong. If you think I'm wrong, find the penalty stats and let me know.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It was meant as a compliment. I realize money is a big factor. I have visited Czech Republic and Slovakia a couple of years ago. Very beautiful countries and people. All i am saying is that breakup meant a potential hockey power never materialized. Czechoslovakia would have been a true hockey power. Now, both teams struggle year in and year out. For both countries sake, i wish they can turn it around. It is hard seeing both countries get destroyed at home in the QF like this. Even though i cheer for Canada, i want other countries to do well in their hockey programs. Much better for the sport of Hockey that way.
We agree on everything but one.

It sucks to watch the Czechs and Slovaks get killed in quarters. Most tourneys, we both don't even make the quarters. Beautiful countries.

Using this tourney.. what Slovak would've helped us today? Is Cajkovic the difference? Even if Jenik/Lauko weren't hurt.. let's add a first line of Jenik/Lauko/Cajokovic.. Sweden is still better IMO.

As far as Czechoslovaki would've been a hockey power.. I feel they were.. They were top 3 for a long time. About 20 years.

My biggest problem with hockey is no parity.. there are currently five nations that can win. I think cricket and rugby have more parity. We need at least 10 top nations to compete and we're far from that.

I hope they both turn it around as well.. plus the Germans, Swiss and Denmark keep devleoping (3 more nations that are doing better economically than us).

blindpass

May 7, 2010
I don't.. but I"m pretty sure that was the Canadian moto... maybe I'm wrong. If you think I'm wrong, find the penalty stats and let me know.
I gave it a quick look and couldn't find any summaries I wouldn't have to tabulate game by game. The idea that there's a pro-Canadian bias seems like some heavy conspiracy theory. Complain that we get to host 1/3 years and get NA ice 2/3 of you like, that's real, but the burden of proof is on you if you want to claim the refs and tournament officials are biased.

Much simpler explanation is that you are biased in your perception and recollection.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I have it a quick look and couldn't find any summaries I wouldn't have to tabulate game by game. The idea that there's a pro-Canadian bias seems like some heavy conspiracy theory. Complain that we get to host 1/3 years and get NA ice 2/3 of you like, that's real, but the burden of proof is on you if you want to claim the refs and tournament officials are biased.
What?

I said the IIHF sucks at officiating.

I didn't say anything pro Canadian or anti Canadian.

I didn't complain about the ice situation. That's pure business. Lot of money when it's in Canada/border town. I have said I'd prefer smaller Canadian cities though!

I'm actually happy everyone has agreed to a rink size for the future as I can't think of another sport that plays on different size fields. I didn't care if it was Olympic or NHL.

For a previous argument.. I think the Czechs should get ahead of the curve and make all their rinks NHL size yesterday.

I did say the Canadians were the least penalized teams during their run... I've heard that a lot. But you're right, I don't have the stat. If I find it, I'll post it.

I didn't claim the refs and tournament officials are biased. I claimed they suck.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
What?
I did say the Canadians were the least penalized teams during their run... I've heard that a lot. But you're right, I don't have the stat. If I find it, I'll post it.

I didn't claim the refs and tournament officials are biased. I claimed they suck.
So you are claiming that Canada was deservedly less penalized because they played clean?

If not then this seems disingenuous. You think Canada consistently benefitted, but you aren't claiming bias. Huh?

In any case, this year Canada has so far played pretty clean and honest hockey. I'll stand by that. Hayton and Veleno's missteps weren't big deals and hurt nobody. Foote's major was a bad call or a bad rule (expecting the impossible). I wouldn't ask him to change anything he did.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So you are claiming that Canada was deservedly less penalized because they played clean?

If not then this seems disingenuous. You think Canada consistently benefitted, but you aren't claiming bias. Huh?

In any case, this year Canada has so far played pretty clean and honest hockey. I'll stand by that. Hayton and Veleno's missteps weren't big deals and hurt nobody. Foote's major was a bad call or a bad rule (expecting the impossible). I wouldn't ask him to change anything he did.
I'm claiming.. during their 5 golds that they were the least penalized. Yes. It's a stat not an opinion... but I can't find it.lol So maybe I'm totally wrong! Maybe they were the most penalized team every year and still won Gold. Seems unlikely but, again, I don't have a link.
Foote's penalty was ridiculous. I feel bad for the Slovak he demolished but it was clean.
I'm more than okay with both kids getting suspended for headbutting.
Hayton apologized.. it was a nice apology. Canada's done okay since then.lol

Autodidact

Jan 7, 2018
Both Raymond and Sandin will be playing the semi, according to a swedish newspaper. As for the kick I've only seen three angles. None of them show the situation clearly enough, I think. The one from behind hides the push. The one from above hides his leg and the one from the side is from far away and the wrong side. My guess is that he will not be penalized, granted they have more angles. It's to weird a move from a guy like him. Bets are on!

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Both Raymond and Sandin will be playing the semi, according to a swedish newspaper. As for the kick I've only seen three angles. None of them show the situation clearly enough, I think. The one from behind hides the push. The one from above hides his leg and the one from the side is from far away and the wrong side. My guess is that he will not be penalized, granted they have more angles. It's to weird a move from a guy like him. Bets are on!
I finally got a look at the replays. I don't think there was intent. I'll bet there's no suspension.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'll say 95% nothing happens like our own Sik and his dickshot. That is my bet. Can't see the Czechs pursuing it.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I finally got a look at the replays. I don't think there was intent. I'll bet there's no suspension.
I think it checks out. He claims himself he was pushed by both a Czech player and the ref, fell on his ass while trying to regain balance. You don't try to kick players while falling down, you try to kick them in retaliation while you're already on the ice. He didn't. It really looked like an attempt to regain balance.

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various

Czechs held a great tournament. Improving your team will be difficult as you said money is a huge factor in hockey success.

Copying USA program won't work, Russian players are more similar to yours, teamwork and passing and skating.
Wish you guys could emulate them more now like you apparently uses to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad