GDT: Quarter Final: Czech Republic Vs Sweden | 2:00PM EST 8:00PM CET | SWE 5 - 0 CZE

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
QF4.jpg

Full Tournament Schedule: IIHF - Schedule and Results 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship
Game Info: Game Summary

full

Czech Republic
Confirmed Tournament Roster

Goaltenders:
Lukas Dostal (G)
Nick Malik (G)
Lukas Parik (G)

Defensemen:
KLIKORKA Karel (D)
KUCERIK Radek (D)
HAS Martin (D)
ZABRANSKY Libor (D)
DAJCAR Tomas (D)
KUBICEK Simon(D)

Forwards:
PEKAR Matej (F)
TEPLY Michal (F)
LAUKO Jakub (F)
JENIK Jan (F)
PAVEL Ondrej (F)
SIK Otakar (F)
BLUMEL Matej (F)
PYTLIK Jaromir (F)
CAJKA Petr (F)
RASKA Adam (F)
MYSAK Jan (F)
SIR Jan (F)

full

Sweden
Confirmed Tournament

Goaltenders:
ELIASSON Jesper (G)
ALNEFELT Hugo (G)
PORTILLO Erik (G)

Defensemen:
BJORNFOT Tobias (D)
GINNING Adam (D)
BROBERG Philip (D)
NORLINDER Mattias (D)
SANDIN Rasmus (D)
SODERSTROM Victor (D)
LUNDKVIST Nils (D)

Forwards:
HOLTZ Alexander (F)
FAGEMO Samuel (F)
BACK Oskar (F)
RAYMOND Lucas (F)
GUSTAFSSON David (F)
PASIC Nikola (F)
HOGLANDER Nils (F)
HENRIKSSON Karl (F)
GUSTAFSSON Hugo (F)
OBERG Linus (F)
BERGGREN Jonatan (F)
NASSEN Linus (F)

Scratched:

Do not ask for or provide links to illegal streams.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
We took 3 very good teams to 4-3 scores (and lost 2 of them). Sweden is a legit gold medal threat and much deeper than us in every position. I'm picturing a 'classic' Swedish methodical victory. I've always 'appreciated' how Sweden just cleanly beats us with zero controversy. Just goes about their game which we can't match.

So my brain says 4-0 Sweden in a game where we trail from early in the first
My heart says 4-3 in an insane game with lots of contoversy and a lot of Czech players playing well above their paygrid. Wouldn't surprise me if Varada got ejected. Russians were much better and we beat them. States were much better and we took them to OT. Canada was much better and they, um, kicked our asses.

Our biggest X factor is if Dostal comes back. He's due to steal a game. He makes a few early saves and the Swedes get nervous due to a history of not fulfilling expectations.

Still, Sweden is deeper in every way and better.. I will cheer to the end.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
We only have one healthy goalie now. What if this is the case tomorrow? Is there any emergency exception for such case and teams are allowed to call a backup goalie from somewhere? Or is a skater about to sit on the bench posing as a backup goalie? Or one of the injured goalies sits there pretending he's not injured? Does anybody know? I strongly hope at least one of the Dostal - Parik duo is going to be OK.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
We only have one healthy goalie now. What if this is the case tomorrow? Is there any emergency exception for such case and teams are allowed to call a backup goalie from somewhere? Or is a skater about to sit on the bench posing as a backup goalie? Or one of the injured goalies sits there pretending he's not injured? Does anybody know? I strongly hope at least one of the Dostal - Parik duo is going to be OK.
They're hoping for Dostal to be back, but Varada said he informed Matej Pekar after the first intermission against Canada that if Malik also got hurt, Pekar would be getting dressed as goalie, nevermind he never played the position.
So if Dostal is still sick tomorrow and Malik gets hurt, things are going to get really interesting :amazed:
(I mean, it most likely won't come to that? But it would be hilarious in a terrible sort of way... and I feel for the guys on the ice. Fingers crossed that we get Dostal back tomorrow.)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
They're hoping for Dostal to be back, but Varada said he informed Matej Pekar after the first intermission against Canada that if Malik also got hurt, Pekar would be getting dressed as goalie, nevermind he never played the position.
So if Dostal is still sick tomorrow and Malik gets hurt, things are going to get really interesting :amazed:
(I mean, it most likely won't come to that? But it would be hilarious in a terrible sort of way... and I feel for the guys on the ice. Fingers crossed that we get Dostal back tomorrow.)
Pekar is our highest rated player left... Barely plays ten minutes a game... Varada hates him.... So he's now a backup goalie!

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Fully expect Sweden to dominate possesion but there are quite a few fancy players on this team who can be kept to the outside. I can definitely see them get "stuck" like last years team. Underdog teams playing at home in must win games are always difficult to beat.

Last edited:

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Pekar is our highest rated player left... Barely plays ten minutes a game... Varada hates him.... So he's now a backup goalie!

I don't think the coach hates him. It's just that if a skater has to go to the net because there is no healthy goalie left, then the game is really over and doesn't matter who that skater is.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice

I don't think the coach hates him. It's just that if a skater has to go to the net because there is no healthy goalie left, then the game is really over and doesn't matter who that skater is.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
As I said, avoiding any North American team + home soil is the biggest chance for the Czechs to reach semis.
I would say 4-2, but I am not sure with all those injured players

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Czech have played well in every game minus Canada.

Expecting them to really wanna win this one for the crowd and have a strong game but just fall short.

4-3 Sweden in OT.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Have to go with Sweden as my pick here. I think if the Czechs stay out of the penalty box they make this a close game though.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
As I said, avoiding any North American team + home soil is the biggest chance for the Czechs to reach semis.
I would say 4-2, but I am not sure with all those injured players
It's very true.. not having to play Canada/US is a blessing for us. Sweden has also been coasting as they haven't had a challenging match since opening day against the Finns. Maybe they're bored? Our pool has not been boring at all and every game (except Canada) felt like a playoff game. We've been in the trenches for a week now.

Reactions: Statsy and kudla

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Can't remember the last time two goaltenders were injured for the same team at the World Juniors...ever.
Would be fine if someone has info to refute that.

I see large victories in the 1v4 games. In fact it is the rare QF where there seems to be an obvious favorite for each match..

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Can't remember the last time two goaltenders were injured for the same team at the World Juniors...ever.
Would be fine if someone has info to refute that.

I see large victories in the 1v4 games. In fact it is the rare QF where there seems to be an obvious favorite for each match..
Who's the fav for Finland/US?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Another neat stat going in.. Sweden has the best powerplay in the tourney and if there is a team that takes stupider penalties than the Czechs in this tourney, I haven't seen them.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Oh yeah... all our top players have been hurt during the tourney. Even, with them, we would be in a lot of trouble against Sweden but it definitely doesn't help.
What is the list of injured players that likely wont play tommorow against Sweden?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad