Quarantine Canteen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Those darkened edges look amazing! How was the rub?

I had heard a lot about Hardcore Carnivore, but I couldn’t get it before in Canada but now several places carry it. Pretty awesome the “Black” and the “Umami” rub. The Black is what got that crust so nice. Lot of people do it with steak, so it may be the next experiment.
You should grab some Bry, and toss it on some steaks or a roast. Very peppery.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I had heard a lot about Hardcore Carnivore, but I couldn’t get it before in Canada but now several places carry it. Pretty awesome the “Black” and the “Umami” rub. The Black is what got that crust so nice. Lot of people do it with steak, so it may be the next experiment.
You should grab some Bry, and toss it on some steaks or a roast. Very peppery.

Thanks. BTW-I appreciated your Carolina Gold post as well, I just ordered these to see if any are good lower sugar sauces for the family. The price is reasonable for 6 different sauces and I'm hoping that 1 or 2 will be worth ordering again. If they suck I may hit you up for your recipe ;) I love my sauces but I need to eat healthier and pass on those habits to my kids.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Thanks. BTW-I appreciated your Carolina Gold post as well, I just ordered these to see if any are good lower sugar sauces for the family. The price is reasonable for 6 different sauces and I'm hoping that 1 or 2 will be worth ordering again. If they suck I may hit you up for your recipe ;) I love my sauces but I need to eat healthier and pass on those habits to my kids.

If you have a blender make your own sauce. As a Celiac I have to be careful with what I eat and a lot of the commercial sauces have some kind of gluten.

I make my own spaghetti sauce too when we get lots of tomatoes. I prefer it. Homegrown tomatoes, homegrown onions, homegrown peppers, yum!

Heres one. You could vary the amount of honey in it.

Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe | Gimme Some Oven

Bobieque

Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River

Those look awesome, and there’s a Carolina Gold in there. Let me know how they taste, they look super interesting

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
A friend got me into these rice wrap things. I find in summer time these fill up those middle of the day cravings and the rice wraps are so thin they contain hardly any starch which is what makes you feel hungry all the time. I just sub in Walmart precooked frozen precooked chicken when making these. Just microwave the chicken to get it hot.

have some of these rolled up on hand and they are a great lunch food. Give you surprising energy while far fewer calories.

Vietnamese-Style Summer Rolls with Peanut Sauce Recipe - Chowhound

Sometimes I just put kimchi in these with some chicken, green onions, and chives, celery, carrots, sliced, work great as well. Good way to get kids interested in veggies.

Reactions: oilers'72

Field Marshal Phibun

Feb 17, 2021
Alton Brown grilled cheese.
It will not win any heart smart awards.
ab.png

Bobieque

Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
A friend got me into these rice wrap things. I find in summer time these fill up those middle of the day cravings and the rice wraps are so thin they contain hardly any starch which is what makes you feel hungry all the time. I just sub in Walmart precooked frozen precooked chicken when making these. Just microwave the chicken to get it hot.

have some of these rolled up on hand and they are a great lunch food. Give you surprising energy while far fewer calories.

Vietnamese-Style Summer Rolls with Peanut Sauce Recipe - Chowhound

Sometimes I just put kimchi in these with some chicken, green onions, and chives, celery, carrots, sliced, work great as well. Good way to get kids interested in veggies.

Those are awesome. Where are you getting the actual rice rolls (wraps) from? Are you making those or buying them?

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Those are awesome. Where are you getting the actual rice rolls (wraps) from? Are you making those or buying them?

Superstore typically carries them. Ethnic stores as well.

Working with these can be a tricky thing but fortunately each pack has 4o of these as they are as thin as paper. About 2-3 dollars for 40 wraps. I put a bowl of water out and submerge one at a time for about 15 secs. I just use a plastic cutting board. They say to use a tea towel but I find that harder to work with.

For any of that are aging that need to work on our calorie counts these things are great. Also enjoyable to make. Once one gets the hang of it.

I use any veggies in these. fresh spinach, green onions, chives, sliced carrots, celery, cilantro, mint, snow peas, bean sprouts, kimchi.

These work really well with any hot sauces too.

I find that kids or adults that are not big veggie eaters start liking these.

Bobieque

Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Hey @Bobieque,

have you ever used dried corn cobs in a smoker?

Sorry, missed this post earlier. Never dried corn...but I do Corn on the Cob all the time in the smoker. Usually only for 20-30 minutes, then I'll put on the Grill to char a bit and then finish with an herb butter.

Or we also do a scratch cream corn, where I do the above, then we strip the corn from the cob, and mix with cream cheese, cream and more butter with some roasted chopped parsley and roasted cut up Red Pepper.

That Cream Corn is super rich however, so we advise guests to just have a small amount, cause like anything really rich, you can pay in multiple ways afterwards.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Sorry, missed this post earlier. Never dried corn...but I do Corn on the Cob all the time in the smoker. Usually only for 20-30 minutes, then I'll put on the Grill to char a bit and then finish with an herb butter.

Or we also do a scratch cream corn, where I do the above, then we strip the corn from the cob, and mix with cream cheese, cream and more butter with some roasted chopped parsley and roasted cut up Red Pepper.

That Cream Corn is super rich however, so we advise guests to just have a small amount, cause like anything really rich, you can pay in multiple ways afterwards.

Sounds good.

ive seen some photos of people using corn cobs to smoke meats instead of wood chips.

ive had corn cob smoked bacon before...had a nice sweet smoke flavour

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
View attachment 435473
Gents, prepping for the playoffs with some Apple Smoked Ribs last night.

BBQ’s and Smokers all cleaned, filled and ready for action for a long series ride.

Hit Costco to fill up the fridge so you’ll be seeing lots of BBQ for however long we go.
Your stuff always looks so good. And it also without exception involves sugary bastes and coverings. And from time to time, I enjoy those. Do you have any recipes that rely soley on spicing and then maybe some clearer baste?

Bobieque

Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Your stuff always looks so good. And it also without exception involves sugary bastes and coverings. And from time to time, I enjoy those. Do you have any recipes that rely soley on spicing and then maybe some clearer baste?

Yup, when I’m doing Brisket, just rub, and lately we’ve been doing wings with just rub as well. Sometimes we’ll buy ribs cut in half which they call ‘sweet and sour cut” and we’ll then just do a salt and pepper or a rub.

I am bad with full ribs, typically I pack on sauce.

A page or two back I posted a vinegar based “Carolina Gold Sauce” where you control the sugar via adding honey to your taste or health amount. Any North or South Carolina Sauce (just google) are very vinegar based that goes great with Pork. I’m actually also hoping @Bryanbryoil lets us know how his low-no sugar sauces that he bought went. Hoping they were good!

I swing back and forth from making my own rub or just buying some. There are several that have no sugar.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yup, when I’m doing Brisket, just rub, and lately we’ve been doing wings with just rub as well. Sometimes we’ll buy ribs cut in half which they call ‘sweet and sour cut” and we’ll then just do a salt and pepper or a rub.

I am bad with full ribs, typically I pack on sauce.

A page or two back I posted a vinegar based “Carolina Gold Sauce” where you control the sugar via adding honey to your taste or health amount. Any North or South Carolina Sauce (just google) are very vinegar based that goes great with Pork. I’m actually also hoping @Bryanbryoil lets us know how his low-no sugar sauces that he bought went. Hoping they were good!

I swing back and forth from making my own rub or just buying some. There are several that have no sugar.
Great, thanks for the info!

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Going to Trifons

getting the brute sandwich and fries

the heart burn is going to be bad.

I had to google Trifons…looks like some good ole fashioned pizza there, not crappy big chain pizza.
Enjoy yer brute I’m jealous lol

I’m YEG I sometimes pick up a pie @ Franco’s Pizza in the west end. Love their olde fashioned pizza…not cheap but the best crust around imo.

41E9B3B2-FE5B-48BA-BC82-75FB7EDF5223.jpeg

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I had to google Trifons…looks like some good ole fashioned pizza there, not crappy big chain pizza.
Enjoy yer brute I’m jealous lol

I’m YEG I sometimes pick up a pie @ Franco’s Pizza in the west end. Love their olde fashioned pizza…not cheap but the best crust around imo.

View attachment 445014
That pizza pie looks fantastic!!!! Wow

and yes Trifons is excellent pizza. By far my fave pizza joint in Saskatchewan! All the food they make is always so fresh and delicious. The sandwich was no different. Was incredible as always!

Field Marshal Phibun

Feb 17, 2021
It's like a layer cake.
Except it's ground beef, ham slices, cheddar, and spinach.
Roll it into a loaf.
Then lay out a pack of bacon and put the loaf on top.
Roll it into another loaf.
Bake.
Enjoy.

Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 21.24.02.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 21.24.09.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 21.24.02.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 21.24.02.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 21.24.09.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 21.24.09.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3