Confirmed with Link: Qualifying offer made to White

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
When he's disciplined and not making stupid plays and taking dumb penalties, he's great to have. I hope he controls himself a little bit more this season, but he is a very good piece to have on the bottom six. We need players like him.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Just looked, and besides White and Blunden, there are more RFAs that need to be qualified or possibly lost as UFA:

Weber
Geoffrion
Stejskal
Tokarski
Dumont
Mayer
Shultz

Weber is a no brainer as is Tokarski. Qualify Mayer and try and trade him.

Schultz, let him walk and go after labrie or Jacques(or similar player). Geoffrion too if he is retiring, or qualify him in case he doesn't??

Stejksal probably let him walk.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
ryan-white.gif

Sign it, Whitey. Always loved this kid and despite his problems this past season, he is still an effective role player. Get some more discipline in him and he'll be money.

There is a fine line regarding White.

Therrien reined him in too much last season and he was nowhere near as effective as he can be.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Weber is a no brainer as is Tokarski. Qualify Mayer and try and trade him.

You won't get anything of value for Mayer.

Any one who doesn't like this kid doesn't understand the important of him on an NHL roster.

I don't dislike him but I thought his mistakes were too costly. Either way, I wouldn't have mind if the Habs had decided to part ways with him.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Therrien reined him in too much last season and he was nowhere near as effective as he can be.

It's a tough balancing act when it comes to White, but he's still young - and cheap enough that it's worth the risk.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
He's good depth. He over glorified mostly because we lack that type of player. I'm happy he's back, but people exaggerate his contribution to the team.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
He's good depth. He over glorified mostly because we lack that type of player. I'm happy he's back, but people exaggerate his contribution to the team.

Well I'd far rather see White back than overpay for an even worse hockey player. White still has potential to develop into a pretty good grinder/agitator, and he can fill a couple different roles. He's not the solution by himself to anything, but he fills a role.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Agreed. People here complain if a guy like Ryder doesn't score a goal for three games. Yet a guy like White is glorified because of ONE fluke goal.

News flash: when White doesn't get these fluke goals he's taking more stupid penalties than anybody on the team. He's basically letting his emotions get in the way of the game plan and putting his teammates in trouble because of that.

If you put a guy like Ryder on a short leash, the only logical behavior is to put a guy like White on a short leash as well. A role player has to be effective at what he's supposed to do.

It's not that I don't like White, but I want an efficient White.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Agreed. People here complain if a guy like Ryder doesn't score a goal for three games. Yet a guy like White is glorified because of ONE fluke goal.

News flash: when White doesn't get these fluke goals he's taking more stupid penalties than anybody on the team. He's basically letting his emotions get in the way of the game plan and putting his teammates in trouble because of that.

If you put a guy like Ryder on a short leash, the only logical behavior is to put a guy like White on a short leash as well. A role player has to be effective at what he's supposed to do.

It's not that I don't like White, but I want an efficient White.

:laugh::laugh:

Helluva post.

I liked Ryder on the Habs. He scored goals. I like White on the Habs. He is tough as nails.

White had 11 minor penalties in 26 games. His average is .42 penalties per game (of the stupid sort :sarcasm:). PK Subban, our Norris Trophy winning DMan had 21 penalties in 42 games. PK's average is .50 penalties per game (aren't all minor penalties stupid? :sarcasm:)

Did PK put his teammates in trouble and should he be put on a short leash?

Ease up with White critique.......especially since he is not the worst offender when it comes to minor penalties.

Other than that, solid post.;)

Blob Buster

Mar 8, 2002
Montreal, PQ
He's number 12 or 13 on the O depth chart, and the qualifying offer is 720 000$ or so, it's a non-move. If somebody comes to camp and outperform him, he might be one of the first to go. Would be stupid to not qualify him. Worst case scenario for us is he's taken on waivers if we don't want him anymore.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
White had 11 minor penalties in 26 games. His average is .42 penalties per game (of the stupid sort :sarcasm:). PK Subban, our Norris Trophy winning DMan had 21 penalties in 42 games. PK's average is .50 penalties per game (aren't all minor penalties stupid? :sarcasm:)

Come on, PK's ice time is almost 3 times higher than White's. At the very least you could calculate PIM/TOI. I'm disappointed.

Oh and PK plays defense, some of his penalties were taken in order to abort a play that could have lead to a goal.

And and and... when PK scores a goal, it's not a fluke! ;)

Other than that... great post!

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I'm very confident that Michel therrien will turn White into a great roster player. You need a touch of craziness on every team. Even if he can't play in the postseason, if he can draw the attention on him during the reg. season he's going to save players like plek/gally/chuck/subban/markov a lot of bruises. He knows he has to be better, really expecting a great rebound from him next year.

Analyzer*

Not to disrupt this thread, but if White and Prust didn't have to fight above their class I think both would do even better.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
:laugh::laugh:

Helluva post.

I liked Ryder on the Habs. He scored goals. I like White on the Habs. He is tough as nails.

Did PK put his teammates in trouble and should he be put on a short leash?

Ease up with White critique.......especially since he is not the worst offender when it comes to minor penalties.

Other than that, solid post.;)

Subban also has huge defensive responsibility and played 23:15 a game compared to White's 9:25.

izzy75

Nov 22, 2010

Bingo! If you have a White on your team, you let him play his game. Or trade him.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Come on, PK's ice time is almost 3 times higher than White's. At the very least you could calculate PIM/TOI. I'm disappointed.

Oh and PK plays defense, some of his penalties were taken in order to abort a play that could have lead to a goal.

And and and... when PK scores a goal, it's not a fluke! ;)

Other than that... great post!

We can play this silly game about "dumb penalties" all you want.

Emelin and Gorges combined together still had fewer penalties than Subban. Again, are you going to criticize our Norris Trophy winning DMan? After all, Emelin and Gorges were trying to "abort" plays as well to prevent a goal.

The entire point is that people as yourself were so quick to criticize White when he took a penalty because you do not like that type of player on the Habs. You want him neutered and just simply skate his 6 or 7 minutes and be invisible. Sort of like Darche when he was on the 4th.

White is appreciated by his teammates even though he is not appreciated by a segment of the fanbase. Damned glad that he was qualified and I hope he gets some help.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The entire point is that people as yourself were so quick to criticize White when he took a penalty because you do not like that type of player on the Habs. You want him neutered and just simply skate his 6 or 7 minutes and be invisible. Sort of like Darche when he was on the 4th.

White plays on the edge, its his game. He can be very good at it. Your ideal 4th liner. Game 2 against Ottawa was the epitome of a contributing 4th liner. His 4 PIM all came from a hussle with Tender after the game was over anyway. Great stuff.

Problem is, he HAS to be on the right side of the edge otherwise he's a negative. And last year, White was unfortunately over the edge most of the time.

The coaching staff saw that as well, IMO. And I hope they can help him in that regard. Otherwise you're gonna see a whole 15 games of White and then good riddance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad