Confirmed with Link: Quaider dealt to Rangers for Kampfer and a 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
This trade does not affect the opening night roster at all. They still have 7 capable NHL dmen on the roster. Don't be surprised if the sign Fayne out of camp to go from AHL/NHL in case of injuries

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
There is no "cap space problem", so I think Sweeney is working on something. It could be Nash, but I really don't know. I wish him the best because he was a true warrior.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
While it shaves roughly $2m off the cap (McQuaid's $2.75 out, Kampfer's $650k in), I have to believe McQuaid wanted to play and asked to be moved.

I don't like the return but I get it. Those saying it should have been Miller aren't appreciating what Miller brings. He is the better all-around player.

Kampfer stinks. Luckily he's a UFA next year and will just go away.

I'm not really sure why people keep saying this. Kampfer's cap hit goes to zero in the minors. It's a savings of the full $2.75m. Kampfer is going to Providence for sure.

Reactions: lxndr and maxl7

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I get that Miller probably was saved by virtue of his hard work to improve his skating.

These days you gotta be able to skate and keep up with the speedier forwards. Unfortunately that means a lot of good guys like McQuaid are slowly getting squeezed out of the game.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Kampfer stinks. Luckily he's a UFA next year and will just go away.

kampfer is on a 2-way deal, and is just a guy who can log NHL minutes if you
run into injuries. an 8th defender who would likely clear waivers right before
the season started. assume the rangers wanted us to take a body, and he's not
a bad depth guy to have (and a right shot as well).

Reactions: mar2kbos

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
One of my favorite all time BRUINS. Hate to see him go, especially for that. Like others, I think McQuaid was very important to this team. Very good on the PK, I say our 2nd best behind Chara; not afraid to block shots; always stood up for his team mates. Don't understand it whatever the reason.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Strafer

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
man I really don't know what to think of this. on an emotional level it's obviously sad to see McQuaid go. What an absolute warrior and tough as nails.

Hockey-wise they'll miss him on the PK and he allowed guys to play a little bigger, but Miller is the better player and McQuaid really didn't fit the gameplan Cassidy is trying to implement here.

The savings should give them trade options so that helps. My biggest concern is that I hope this doesn't have a Boychuk-like effect on the team's mentality this close to the season. I think the fact that the team is so young and far removed from the cup team that it shouldn't be as devastating as when Boychuk was traded, but we'll see.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I don't hate this trade, McQuaid was gone after this year anyway plus it gives us more cap space and a couple picks as well. I loved McQuaid for what he has done over the years for the B's, but he was not going to add any toughness to the Bruins while sitting in the press box, so yes this was the right move for the team and the player.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I knew he was probably going to get traded and that he was redundant in the lineup and less mobile than Miller. Still hurts a bit though. Good luck mullet man

maxl7

Jun 14, 2017
Great trade. Yes, McQuaid is by all reports a very nice human being, and a great teammate. Not to mention pound-for-pound one of the toughest bastards in the league.

But he's not good and not better than any other option the Bruins have. The fact that they didn't have to trade any assets along with him to offload that salary is fantastic. Great deal by this front office.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
kampfer is on a 2-way deal, and is just a guy who can log NHL minutes if you
run into injuries. an 8th defender who would likely clear waivers right before
the season started. assume the rangers wanted us to take a body, and he's not
a bad depth guy to have (and a right shot as well).

This is make take as well 8 defenseman but you can’t send them down. So this gives them that flexibility if they need a warm body for a couple of games and rookies aren’t ready.

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Only makes sense if we use that money though.

Like @Dellstrom mentioned earlier, this stinks like a poor man’s Boychuk trade. If this is a deal made in hopes of maybe making another down the line, that “next deal” isn’t going to happen. Or if it does, it’ll likely be too little/late.

Also makes sense to have the flexibility to maybe acquire someone good at the trade deadline.

Bruins are close to the cap. Saving the space gives them the chance to possibly add someone good ....

Not everything needs to be a sequence of events.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This is make take as well 8 defenseman but you can’t send them down. So this gives them that flexibility if they need a warm body for a couple of games and rookies aren’t ready.

The thinking is that Kampfer will clear waivers (he has twice before). So now you can have him playing games rather than have McQuaid rotting in the press box. Plus, you can benchmark your Providence guys against him to see if they're ready.

I don't know if Kampfer is any good anymore but if you need to call him up, it's better to have a guy who has been playing rather than someone who has been cold in the pressbox for months.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Sucks to see McQuaid traded. Like many here, the only way I see this move making any sense is if there is another move to come, or if McQuaid asked for a trade since he was most likely going to be the 7th/8th defenseman going into the season. I don't think the Bruins were going to re-up him after this season.

The Darth mantle will live on when it will get passed down to Vladar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad