Confirmed with Link: Quaider dealt to Rangers for Kampfer and a 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Really sad. McQuaid was the consummate Bruin and one guy that I attach to our old identity that was so much fun to watch and brought so many great memories.

Not the most skilled, but tough as nails even if he would often end his own season by running himself into the boards.

Really sucks.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Am I the only one that likes this? McQuaid was a good character guy, but he's a borderline NHLer and the 8th best D-man on the team, making $2.75 million and being one of the most injury-prone players in the league. Saving over $2 million in cap space could be huge for flexibility. Thought this should have happened a while ago after K. Miller emerged as the better player.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
This is awful.

The picks are nothing, Steven Kampfer sucks, and the cap space is unnecessary at this point.

I hope McQuaid asked to be traded so he'd have a chance to play.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
There are times to look at things from a business eye and rationalize it from that perspective.

This is not one of those times. Poor one out for Quaider and the good old times.

Gonna spend the rest of the day watching him beat the bag out of some guys on YouTube.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
He was a warrior and I loved him as a Bruin but he could never stay healthy and we cleared some cap space.

At least we did something instead of having him ride the pine.

Its a business at the end of the day....and this had to happen.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What if McQuaid wanted to be moved if he wasn't going to play full-time.

He's smart enough to know he could play full-time for a lot of teams.
I mean if he wanted to be moved then I'm ok with it.

I suspect that you are probably right and that he asked out and they did this before camp to avoid a Boychuck situation.

Again, it sucks, love him and I'm ok with the picks. I don't like Kampfer.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I don't hate this deal... As long as they use the money freed up.

No disrespect to McQuaid... I've always loved him but Miller is essentially the same player.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If McQuaid did ask for clarification on his role with the team and wanted more, good for him and good for the Bruins to move him. Better that than an unhappy player in the room. I will miss the guy, though.

Reactions: minpind and BMC

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I'll miss him pounding the piss out of guys, but in reality he'd probably be lucky to get 30 games in this year between scratches and his injuries. May as well save a couple million in cap space.
Only makes sense if we use that money though.

Like @Dellstrom mentioned earlier, this stinks like a poor man’s Boychuk trade. If this is a deal made in hopes of maybe making another down the line, that “next deal” isn’t going to happen. Or if it does, it’ll likely be too little/late.

Reactions: BMC

Duffy04

Sep 29, 2017
I'm disappointed in this move. As many here have stated, Quaider was a heck of a Bruin. His presence will be missed on the blueline and in the locker room. I understand there's a logjam at D with kids knocking on the door, but this one still hurts.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Not sure what to think here. When he's on, he's quite good in his role - a bottom veteran D-man who apparently seems to have good camaraderie with the team. But for some reason, I just always feel like we're playing injury roulette with him.

I guess the brass like what they see from the defensemen in camp so far - this will definitely give a rookie some more ice time. Maybe it frees up cap space? Maybe it's a way to get some minimal value for him before his contract is up, so he doesn't get Loui'ed this spring.

Not thrilled with Kampfer, but I'm not gonna lie and say that I know what else the Rangers (or other teams who might have been interested in McQuaid) had to offer. The pick is nice to have, and feels about right for an aging defenseman with only 1 year on his contract.

Espresso Martini

Apr 12, 2016
Love Quaider. Hate to lose him but he was going to be in the press box and he can play in NY.

Kampfer is on a two-way contract, will probably get through waivers and can play in Providence and be a respectable call up on the right side if needed.

Kampfer is not a respectable call up. Not a fan of this trade. Going to miss McQuaid.

Reactions: Strafer

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
The last two years they've run into injury issues on D going into the playoffs. Why not keep him around so you don't have to go out and give up assets at the deadline?

:shakehead

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Who cares if he was going to be in the press box? I’d rather that than $2.75M in unused cap space.

There’d better be another move to justify this.

This doesn't make a lot of sense unless they needed the space for another deal. Both players on the final year of their contract, so it's not about next year. One year of McQuaid on a team that wants to compete has way more value than a 4th round pick.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
Does this mean Zboril might get a better chance of getting called up? I ask out of ignorance.

I really don't want to see Kampfer on the ice in a Boston game.

Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad