Québec's owner confirm The WHA will start in October with 5 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/article/2,338,0,082004,748837.shtml

The article is in French and we can only see a part of the one i read in the newspaper this morning.

It says that the WHA have 5 teams now Dallas, Detroit, Halifax, Québec et Vancouver and that it's not impossible that one or 2 extra team will join before the 15th august.

It also says that the "big" annoncement will be make after the long weekend in english Canada to get more interest.

TT

Jul 30, 2004
This League will start, I just know it, I expect there to be 6 teams come start of season, including Toronto...

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
SerbianEagle said:
Is there a particular reason for WHA wanting 6 teams? Is it the "original six" kinda deal?

originally there were 7 teams, then once the draft came along, the 'founders franchise' was put for a team in the works, which turned out to be vancouver, no idea what happened to florida or hamilton's franchise's... anyone know? and toronto for the time being is seemingly being held out of toronto by their hopeful arena's management which only says they'll make a deal w/ the baby leafs... which frankly when i read that i almost felt sick, i'd think that any revenue for the arena would be good revenue, but apparantly not :bonk::huh:

I am Jack's Fish

garry1221 said:
originally there were 7 teams, then once the draft came along, the 'founders franchise' was put for a team in the works, which turned out to be vancouver, no idea what happened to florida or hamilton's franchise's... anyone know? :

Florida team has no place to play. The WHA called the Miami Arena to find out about buying the place (its up for auction) but realized that they missed the public meeting to buy the rights to be part of the auction on August 10th. Orlando is in the grips of the local minor league owner who has a fued with the WHA and wont let the WHA come to the TD Waterhouse Center, and Jacksonville was owned by the guy who owns the Orlando team, but he sold it to Ron Duguay and the agreement was that Duguay couldnt move the Barracudas up to the WHA.

I was hired to work for the Miami team by one of the guys woring for the WHA now, and that guy busts his butt to make things happen, but he tends to make announcements that are very premature and based on hope, instead of reality. Which about sums up the whole WHA strategy. Great at marketing, poor on execution.

Miami could have happened, they just missed the boat by a few days for the rights to buy the arena.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
I have been in whiffle ball leagues more organized than this.

WTF is going on here? Does the WHA really have a plan? I cant see how in the world this will get off the ground and thats too bad because I really want to watch hockey in the fall but I cant see the WHA lasting.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
What is making me upset with the WHA is there lack of information. They make no announcements on anything. What happened to Hamilton? Toronto? There is nothing every posted on their website. Last thing they have on there is the draft. A little info for your potential fans wouldn't hurt!!!!!!!!!! :shakehead

garry1221

Mar 13, 2003
Walled Lake, Mi
Visit site
Dan Galvin said:
What is making me upset with the WHA is there lack of information. They make no announcements on anything. What happened to Hamilton? Toronto? There is nothing every posted on their website. Last thing they have on there is the draft. A little info for your potential fans wouldn't hurt!!!!!!!!!! :shakehead

no idea on hamilton, but toronto is hanging in limbo right now because some arena ( can't remember the name right now ) but they claim they'll only negotiate a lease w/ the baby leafs and are completely shunning the toro's, frankly i feel it's complete stupidity... i mean, any revenue for the arena is good revenue right?... and they're completely turning away not even listening to a single word

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
the Toronto arena in question in the Ricoh Centre I believe, the former home of the Toronto Roadrunners (also mentioned as a site for a team in that other league by the business guy from Mississauga).
What happens to the drafted players of the teams that no longer exist?

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
forbesy said:

Yeah, i'm wondering that too. Who will get Sidney Crosby's rights now?

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
forbesy said:

The draft was a show, simply to get some pub for the league.

In the end (if they even get this far), IMO, teams will sign anyone that they can get, regardless of who he was drafted by.

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Beatnik said:
It also says that the "big" annoncement will be make after the long weekend in english Canada to get more interest.

They've missed almost every other "big"announcement date. What's one more? :shakehead

CoolburnIsGone

Mark Fischel said:
Florida team has no place to play. The WHA called the Miami Arena to find out about buying the place (its up for auction) but realized that they missed the public meeting to buy the rights to be part of the auction on August 10th. Orlando is in the grips of the local minor league owner who has a fued with the WHA and wont let the WHA come to the TD Waterhouse Center, and Jacksonville was owned by the guy who owns the Orlando team, but he sold it to Ron Duguay and the agreement was that Duguay couldnt move the Barracudas up to the WHA.

I was hired to work for the Miami team by one of the guys woring for the WHA now, and that guy busts his butt to make things happen, but he tends to make announcements that are very premature and based on hope, instead of reality. Which about sums up the whole WHA strategy. Great at marketing, poor on execution.

Miami could have happened, they just missed the boat by a few days for the rights to buy the arena.
Mark, the arena was purchased today by the guy not wanting to tear it down. And the local paper says a possibility includes minor league sports. Think there's any way it would work to have a WHA team in Miami Arena? The new owner envisions 105 events per yr and that would help do that.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...1004,0,4952251.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad