Québec Remparts to play at Junior Club World Cup 2014, Ufa, Russia (22-30 August)

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
worldcup2014515.jpg

It is going to be 4th edition of tournament, it is sanctioned by IIHF.

Group A

Pirati Chomutov (CZ)
Espoo Blues (FIN)
Québec Remparts (CAN)
Tolpar Ufa (MHL, RUS)
Dynamo Shinnik Bobyursk (MHL, BLR)

Group B
Sioux City Musketeers (USHL, USA)
MHK Spartak Moskva (MHL, RUS)
Malmö Redhawks (SWE)
HK Riga (MHL, LAT)
Red Bull Salzburg (MHL, AUT)

USHL needs a few days to name a club. They have new commisioner since June 1

website (RUS)

WINNERS
2011 - Red Army CSKA Moscow (MHL)
2012 - Sudbury Wolves (CHL)
2013 - Omskie Yastreby Omsk (MHL)

Last edited:

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
For the life of me I can't understand how they choose which CHL team plays in this. If this tournament was anything, they'd invite the Memorial Cup Champion, or at least one of the League Champions. I mean, Sudbury was nothing to write home about the years that they went, and now we have another first round loser...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
For the life of me I can't understand how they choose which CHL team plays in this. If this tournament was anything, they'd invite the Memorial Cup Champion, or at least one of the League Champions. I mean, Sudbury was nothing to write home about the years that they went, and now we have another first round loser...

MHL as organiser wants from federations to send national champions, or as best club as possible. Choice is on national federation, CHL has its vote as well in Canada´s case.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Was not aware of this tournament at all, and in the middle of august? what the hell?

That's before the euro draft, does this mean Herzog, Grigorenko and Sorenssen are eligible? will they even play? How does that work :\? What if some of your players are on like, summer trips with their families?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Timing - it is too complicated to find dates, which would be acceptable for everyone. Late August is best of all.

Sudbury took their imports when they played at Junior Club World Cup. One was czech guy and one was german I hope

Age limit - guys born 1993 will be eldest at tournament.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Was not aware of this tournament at all, and in the middle of august? what the hell?

That's before the euro draft, does this mean Herzog, Grigorenko and Sorenssen are eligible? will they even play? How does that work :\? What if some of your players are on like, summer trips with their families?

The import draft is at the end of June. I'd expect their new players to be there. The only complication I could see is if certain players will be with their national teams in August. Otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't try to bring the best roster possible.

Taoiseach

Go Hull Go!
May 14, 2011
Ottawa-Gatineau, NCR
MHL as organiser wants from federations to send national champions, or as best club as possible. Choice is on national federation, CHL has its vote as well in Canada´s case.

Best possible club? Québec lost in the first round! There are two dozen teams that made it further in the playoffs than the Remparts.

Edmonton should be the one to go, but Val-d'Or and Guelph would be fine too. You'd think it would be somebody that won something...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Best possible club? Québec lost in the first round! There are two dozen teams that made it further in the playoffs than the Remparts.

Edmonton should be the one to go, but Val-d'Or and Guelph would be fine too. You'd think it would be somebody that won something...

Last seasons results really aren't that relevant as they'll be sending next seasons roster to compete in this. Quebec has a higher profile than most CHL teams and should ice a stronger team than Sudbury has the past few years if they bring their full roster.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
They won't play in the tournament. The team already said they won't.

They published their camp schedule at the same time this news about them going to Russia came out and this tournament isn't part of it.

Kathleen Lavoie @kathleenlavoie · 4 juin
Selon les Remparts, il n'est pas question de participer à tournoi en Russie à la fin d'août. L'équipe sera en camp d'entraînement #lesoleil

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
http://mhl.khl.ru/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=339367

confirmation that Québec Remparts will represent Canada. CHL decided that host of Memorial Cup will play at Junior Club World Cup. So, Québec Remparts as host of Memorial Cup 2015 will travel to Russia this summer. Who will host Memorial Cup in 2016 and 2017?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Unless there's a commitment on the part of Hockey Canada and the CHL to send the Memorial Cup Champion, or at least 1 of the 3 league Champions (I can live with that compromise) then I just don't see it as being anything more than a training exercise for some random, run of the mill, mediocre CHL team who gets saddled with the burden of participation. And if that's their level of commitment and interest to the tournament, then I'm also not interested in it. Until HC/CHL change their M.O., I think they can use their time and resources more productively doing something else.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Unless there's a commitment on the part of Hockey Canada and the CHL to send the Memorial Cup Champion, or at least 1 of the 3 league Champions (I can live with that compromise) then I just don't see it as being anything more than a training exercise for some random, run of the mill, mediocre CHL team who gets saddled with the burden of participation. And if that's their level of commitment and interest to the tournament, then I'm also not interested in it. Until HC/CHL change their M.O., I think they can use their time and resources more productively doing something else.

You can't never send the Memorial Cup champion in August. The team has already lost it's more important player.

Québec will be right in the middle of the training camp. I'm sure Duclair, Erne and Roy 's NHL teams would not be happy to see them go in Russia just before their camp. If CHL forces Québec to go, they won't be happy that's for sure!

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
You can't never send the Memorial Cup champion in August. The team has already lost it's more important player.

Québec will be right in the middle of the training camp. I'm sure Duclair, Erne and Roy 's NHL teams would not be happy to see them go in Russia just before their camp. If CHL forces Québec to go, they won't be happy that's for sure!

While I agree with you in that I think HC and the CHL would be better served by dropping this tournament altogether...if you are not 100% in and committed, then why bother wasting everybody's time...

your argument that the Memorial Cup Champ has lost 1 or more important players and therefore you can't send them, I don't buy...any jr. team will have turnover year to year. but a defending Mem. Cup Champion or league Champion should be a top team the following year regardless of who they lost...relatively speaking...sometimes will not, but hey...the world is an imperfection place...

but other than that..I think HC and the CHL is wasting their time with this tournament.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
While I agree with you in that I think HC and the CHL would be better served by dropping this tournament altogether...if you are not 100% in and committed, then why bother wasting everybody's time...

your argument that the Memorial Cup Champ has lost 1 or more important players and therefore you can't send them, I don't buy...any jr. team will have turnover year to year. but a defending Mem. Cup Champion or league Champion should be a top team the following year regardless of who they lost...relatively speaking...sometimes will not, but hey...the world is an imperfection place...

but other than that..I think HC and the CHL is wasting their time with this tournament.

Shawinigan had like 10 wins the season after their Mem Cup!

Usually, teams that won the Mem Cup are not top teams the following season. I said usually because there are exceptions. Halifax didn't have Drouin, Gadoury and Ashley in August last year so they wouldn't have been as good as they were last season.

Something we agree on, that tournament is a waste of time. With the U17, U18, U20, Ivan Hlinka, NHL camps, 70 games seasons, 4 rounds playoffs and the Mem Cup, these kids already play plenty of hockey, no need to add more. And with school starting the same week in Quebec, it wouldn't work out.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
If the MHL wants the CHL/Hockey Canada to take this tournament seriously, they need to get a Canadian TV deal. This tournament gets no coverage in Canada, aside from the local media in whatever team's city goes. I do like the idea of the Memorial Cup hosts going, as they are usually loaded up for their Memorial Cup run. However, I do think it isn't representative of the best CHL team, then again unless the MHL gets the NHL on board to allow all prospects to participate and the CHL to allow teams to carry all their now 20s (last year's 19s) and somehow allow them to retain their 20s (now 21s), this idea will never work.

Also, unlike European hockey, CHL teams start to trade off players as soon as the season ends. So the Oil Kings will have figured out who their 20s will be for the given year by the tournament. The majority of their last season 19s will have been traded away or released. Thus, the team will not be the same team that was there at the Memorial Cup. A better idea may be to stop using the CHL teams and go back to using CJHL teams and send the RBC Cup champions, those teams seem a little more intact year to year, yes some players will be NCAA property and CIS property and be unavailable, there seems to be less turnover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad