QMJHL To vote on banning fighting

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
It will be banned everywhere in a couple of years.

More or less banned in the OHL now with the 3 fight rule in place. Most of us diehard fans could probably count on one hand how many fights they've seen in the O in the past 2-3 seasons.

Even checking guys has become like the dodo bird with all the double minors that I've seen called just this year has been more then ever before. However no matter which way you slice it with major penalties in the league the CHL can tighten the firmness of the infarctions on one call and let another one out the window.

First its fighting rules then checks from behind then it was check to the head no matter what rule the league chooses to tighten down on another gets ignored. As long as we're not having bench clearing brawls like the late 90's and guys aren't paralyzed by vicious hits where they can't brace themselves for it the league will always have some chippiness and grit to it, it just won't involve whole teams worth of lines to tilt the edge in close games. Not a lot of fans prefer to see fights in the league anymore but there will always be two sides to the debate in this league.

How I look at it as is this and maybe I'm dead wrong here but two players fighting is at equal risk for players to get hurt where as if you check a guy or slew foot a player there's no chance for a player to properly brace themselves for it thus injuries occur and recovery times are longer. As with fighting for as much as it is slowly fading out of the league I still believe that a fight for what it's worth is at least more at equal risk for both involved then just one player.

At the end of the day we really need to ask ourselves this simple question, if we all were family or relation to the players who play in the league today and we see the types of injuries players can get from hits and positioning within the game today versus even 10 years ago would you really want to see players get reoccurring injuries like there are today with long lasting effects on these kids or an equal and fair chance to protecting themselves toe to toe with each other?

Sometimes the solution isn't any better than the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: foghorn

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
At the end of the day we really need to ask ourselves this simple question, if we all were family or relation to the players who play in the league today and we see the types of injuries players can get from hits and positioning within the game today versus even 10 years ago would you really want to see players get reoccurring injuries like there are today with long lasting effects on these kids or an equal and fair chance to protecting themselves toe to toe with each other?
Um, is this really your position? Want to talk about reoccurring injuries with long lasting effects?

The Tragic Post-Hockey Life of an NHL ‘Enforcer’

Reactions: Otto

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
More or less banned in the OHL now with the 3 fight rule in place. Most of us diehard fans could probably count on one hand how many fights they've seen in the O in the past 2-3 seasons.

Even checking guys has become like the dodo bird with all the double minors that I've seen called just this year has been more then ever before. However no matter which way you slice it with major penalties in the league the CHL can tighten the firmness of the infarctions on one call and let another one out the window.

First its fighting rules then checks from behind then it was check to the head no matter what rule the league chooses to tighten down on another gets ignored. As long as we're not having bench clearing brawls like the late 90's and guys aren't paralyzed by vicious hits where they can't brace themselves for it the league will always have some chippiness and grit to it, it just won't involve whole teams worth of lines to tilt the edge in close games. Not a lot of fans prefer to see fights in the league anymore but there will always be two sides to the debate in this league.

How I look at it as is this and maybe I'm dead wrong here but two players fighting is at equal risk for players to get hurt where as if you check a guy or slew foot a player there's no chance for a player to properly brace themselves for it thus injuries occur and recovery times are longer. As with fighting for as much as it is slowly fading out of the league I still believe that a fight for what it's worth is at least more at equal risk for both involved then just one player.

Sometimes the solution isn't any better than the problem.

Eh in Sudbury we still get a fight every 3 games or so. Much lower than it used to be though for sure

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Um, is this really your position? Want to talk about reoccurring injuries with long lasting effects?

True enforcers are different than what hes referring to. Hes talking about fighting being allowed as a deterrent for bad hits (which I personally agree with and only happen every couple of games in the O) not enforcers 80s style who cant skate and are only out there for 5 minutes a night and 5 in the box for wailing on the big guy for the other club.

Paybacks are always going to happen when a guy takes liberties with your players. Is it safer for 2 guys to drop the gloves and get it out or for a guy to take a run at a guy and take him out potentially with a check from behind or a head check? Both suck, but i would think players would pick a fight over the latter any day of the week.

Reactions: Ward Cornell

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
True enforcers are different than what hes referring to. Hes talking about fighting being allowed as a deterrent for bad hits (which I personally agree with and only happen every couple of games in the O) not enforcers 80s style who cant skate and are only out there for 5 minutes a night and 5 in the box for wailing on the big guy for the other club.

Paybacks are always going to happen when a guy takes liberties with your players. Is it safer for 2 guys to drop the gloves and get it out or for a guy to take a run at a guy and take him out potentially with a check from behind or a head check? Both suck, but i would think players would pick a fight over the latter any day of the week.
Honestly I rather have limits on the number of head shots or hits from behind than fighting.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
Isn't that what progressive supplemental discipline is supposed to do?

Sometimes these hits don't reach the level individually where supplemental discipline is needed. But a limit like the fight cap, for the sake of the argument say 5, head check penalties or checks from behind over the course of a season its mandatory 5 games with additional games per each extra violation I think you'd see alot less of these questionable hits.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
I'm glad there trying to get rid of fighting, no need for it in hockey, but they better have an alternative as there going to be a lot of cheap shots at star players, high sticking, slashing, and I don't like that either,don't know the solution but maybe a way to cure the problem is reduce roster size.

Reactions: LR8

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I'm glad there trying to get rid of fighting, no need for it in hockey, but they better have an alternative as there going to be a lot of cheap shots at star players, high sticking, slashing, and I don't like that either,don't know the solution but maybe a way to cure the problem is reduce roster size.

Didn't we hear this when they instituted the fight limit rule in the OHL? I certainly haven't seen the mass increase of cheapshots to star players that everyone was saying was going to happen. If anything the hockey has actually been better.

Reactions: TheCoach and LR8

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Didn't we hear this when they instituted the fight limit rule in the OHL? I certainly haven't seen the mass increase of cheapshots to star players that everyone was saying was going to happen. If anything the hockey has actually been better.
You don't think there has been more head shots and hitting from behind? Maybe it's just me, but I think those hits are more common now. But are they due to "no fighting" or far better equipment being worn that the players are not concern about injuring each other???
I remember when helmets were made mandatory in the NHL that this was a concern. As far as I can remember, the OHL-OHA always had helmets.

Last edited:

Otto

You don't there has been more head shots and hitting from behind? Maybe it's just me, but I think those hits are more common now. But are they due to "no fighting" or far better equipment being worn that the players are not concern about injuring each other???
I remember when helmets were made mandatory in the NHL that this was a concern. As far as I can remember, the OHL-OHA always had helmets.
I'm sorry.... where was "head shots and hitting from behind" in the post I quoted?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I'm sorry.... where was "head shots and hitting from behind" in the post I quoted?
well, fights usually happened for a reason and most of them are in retaliation of one of those two acts. Of course you know that and just want to be smarmy! Oh btw...you mentioned "cheapshots" in your post a cpl posts above mine sooooooooo..................

Last edited:

Otto

well, fights usually happened for a reason and most of them are in retaliation of one of those two acts. Of course you know that and just want to be smarmy! Oh btw...you mentioned "cheapshots" in your post a cpl posts above mine sooooooooo..................

I mentioned cheapshots in the context of the post I quoted. It's not my issue if you can't follow along

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
There are still cheapshots, regardless of what form they take. The lack of fighting hasn't made their level really go up or down. Unfortunately, you're going to get head injuries in the game, regardless of whether fighting exists. A poorly timed body check, puck to the face, or ugly hit along the boards... they do just as much damage sometimes as a fight. Perhaps giving automatic four or 2/10 for head shots and/or checking-from-behind/boarding is another way to go. Frankly, I think getting hit from behind is worse than two guys fighting with consent; at least you can protect yourself in the fight.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017

ask this question. Are there more injuries today than 30 years ago? Why why why can we not reduce the size and makeup of the equipment used today? Hard plastic like steel on your shoulders and elbows are causing more injuries than ever before. The slight clip from somones shoulder on a head causes such severe injuries or even a fully clean hit feet on ground no upward force from the hitter but the head contacts the hard shoulder pad and it results in serious injuries. Is it really as simple as the equipment manufactures can charge more for what they deem as better protective equipment?? its such a simple fix to me

Reactions: EvenSteven

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Honestly I rather have limits on the number of head shots or hits from behind than fighting.

To address the “Q” and their thinking of removing fighting from the game. I would have to say at this point go ahead and remove it totally, kick a fighter out for the game and perhaps if it happens in the third period the next game. It is such a small part of today’s game anyway would we really even notice it gone?

BUT I have to agree Ward the head injuries we are still seeing need addressed. IMO the injuries for the most part have little to do with fighting in most cases. Hits from behind are garbage and easily are regulated with severe suspensions. Head shots are a little tougher to control as quite frankly in a contact sport like Hockey they are tough to eliminate if you want to keep hitting in the game. I’m mixed on this one a bit as I love to see a clean hard body check but in today’s game a hit like this is thrown and the whole team wants to fight the hitter? BS in my mind but again what the solution is I don’t know.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Is it just me that finds it “odd” that it’s the “Q” that steps to the front of all leagues to say “maybe we should ban fighting”? In the province they have the LNAH (?) semi pro league that is as close to the WWE on ice as possible? I just watched a You Tube Video where to start the game they dropped the puck and a fight breaks out. 3 more times this happened for a total of 4 face offs with 4 fights? People going crazy in the stands cheering etc..... In defence of the “Q” they have no control over the LNAH but it just seems somewhat odd?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad