QMJHL Announces League-Wide Retirement of Crosby's #87

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Maybe, Crosby would have been almost a year younger and just as dominant offensively. Maybe you go with Mario's size i guess.

But how was he better than Wayne who had a great WJC as a highlight?

Mario Lemieux was the safest prospect that ever existed—with perhaps Jean Béliveau but that's another era. There was no serious doubt that he was going to be a superstar. Yes, his size mattered a lot.

But even strictly from a skills standpoint, Mario already had all his skills in junior. It doesn't matter what age they were. Crosby never had that level of raw talent. We saw it in the NHL. Why would it be different in junior?

Gretzky had tons of doubters.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Maybe, Crosby would have been almost a year younger and just as dominant offensively. Maybe you go with Mario's size i guess.

But how was he better than Wayne who had a great WJC as a highlight?

Do you have the numbers handy? I'd be curious how much closer to Lemieux's dominance Crosby gets after adjusting for scoring levels.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't think that Lemieux was much more dominant in junior than Crosby was, if at all. Crosby seems to have been much more impressive if you compare their 16 and 17 age seasons. I don't think that Lemieux was clearly better than Crosby until he was 22. He was always more talented, but talent and actual level of play don't always align. Relative to age, I would say that Crosby is clearly better than anyone in QMJHL history, though things aren't usually judged relative to age.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Work ethic, drama free, acting like you've been there before, never resting on your laurels.

People like some drama though. Personally I respect players like Lidström or late career Crosby, but they are simultaneously very boring. Markus Näslund also "acted like he had been there before" (even if he hadn't been).

I don't want to watch robots play hockey, I want a flawed someone who bleeds out his feelings and acts like a vengeful baby. Not all the time, like a tiresome circus, but when it's appropriate.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
People like some drama though. Personally I respect players like Lidström or late career Crosby, but they are simultaneously very boring. Markus Näslund also "acted like he had been there before" (even if he hadn't been).

I don't want to watch robots play hockey, I want a flawed someone who bleeds out his feelings and acts like a vengeful baby. Not all the time, like a tiresome circus, but when it's appropriate.

Hey I get it. I know folks personally who hold the same opinion and outlook. And i totally respect that.

But at the end of the day, hockey players in general are so different than NFL, NBA and even MLB pro's. We have more than enough drama from those sports, especially the first 2 that I don't want to watch more of that shit during hockey games. I don't care if a player snipes a game winner from 50 feet out in OT in October. Acting like you just won the SC in the regular season is ridiculous to me. I don't care about tweets or who has the hottest bimbo on their arm.

I was a rambunctious youth. A class clown, but when it came to sports (I was a decent athlete) I always admired the silent dominators. The guys who let their play do the talking. Sakic was probably my favorite non Penguins player of my teenage years. Yzerman was up there as well. Watching those guys play, or Crosby for that matter was/is never boring in the grand scheme. Sure they didn't celebrate like lunatics or get caught at alcohol rage-fests post Cup runs. They didn't seek out the cameras. Just a personal preference I guess.

There is so much drama in the world today outside of sports. I'd rather see as little of it as possible when I get some time to enjoy a sport.

Reactions: Tarantula

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I don't think that Lemieux was much more dominant in junior than Crosby was, if at all. Crosby seems to have been much more impressive if you compare their 16 and 17 age seasons. I don't think that Lemieux was clearly better than Crosby until he was 22. He was always more talented, but talent and actual level of play don't always align. Relative to age, I would say that Crosby is clearly better than anyone in QMJHL history, though things aren't usually judged relative to age.

Agreed.

Which is why it was nuts to have people throw out Crosby's Q stats, er, rather point totals and conclude he wasn't even scratching the surface of best ever in the league. Crosby played 2 years, at age 16 and 17. He didn't play a 3rd or 4th year so obviously his raw totals were going to be lower.

At 16:

Crosby had 135 in 59
Mario had 96 in 64
-Tell me who was more impressive?

At 17:

Crosby had 168 in 62
Mario had 184 in 66
-Mario is marginally ahead of Sid based on per game average.

Now to be fair, I don't think for one second Sid was coming anywhere close to Mario's age 18 totals had Sid not been able to go pro, but acting like Sid is some distant memory among Q players all time is asinine. Do you really think Sid would have had lesser stats at 18/19 than Lafleur put up? Had Sid been able to play in the Q another 2 years he would have scored north of 400 points as an 18/19 year old. Easily.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Agreed.

Which is why it was nuts to have people throw out Crosby's Q stats, er, rather point totals and conclude he wasn't even scratching the surface of best ever in the league. Crosby played 2 years, at age 16 and 17. He didn't play a 3rd or 4th year so obviously his raw totals were going to be lower.

At 16:

Crosby had 135 in 59
Mario had 96 in 64
-Tell me who was more impressive?

At 17:

Crosby had 168 in 62
Mario had 184 in 66
-Mario is marginally ahead of Sid based on per game average.

Now to be fair, I don't think for one second Sid was coming anywhere close to Mario's age 18 totals had Sid not been able to go pro, but acting like Sid is some distant memory among Q players all time is asinine. Do you really think Sid would have had lesser stats at 18/19 than Lafleur put up? Had Sid been able to play in the Q another 2 years he would have scored north of 400 points as an 18/19 year old. Easily.

Scoring was dramatically higher in the Q during Mario's time there. That being said, I would compare their draft seasons straight up with consideration for how far ahead of their respective peers they were. It is very comparable.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Mario Lemieux was the safest prospect that ever existed—with perhaps Jean Béliveau but that's another era. There was no serious doubt that he was going to be a superstar. Yes, his size mattered a lot.

But even strictly from a skills standpoint, Mario already had all his skills in junior. It doesn't matter what age they were. Crosby never had that level of raw talent. We saw it in the NHL. Why would it be different in junior?

Gretzky had tons of doubters.
Gretzky was just as safe as Lemieux, maybe even more so. It's true that Gretzky had doubters, but the doubters didn't know what they were talking about.

----------------------------

Regarding Lemieux and Crosby - yes, Lemieux had talents that Crosby didn't; but Crosby also made up for it in other areas, like his work ethic.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Mario Lemieux scored 282 points in a Q league season, Crosby not even top 35 (has had less than half that many points), etc...

I feel like that quite the spin considering how much scoring moved in the Q over time.

Has any of those name had a more impressive 16-17 year's old season? Has a player get near 20 the less and less impressive those numbers get or at least not comparing apple to apple.

Mario Lemieux first season in the Q, he was not in the top 10 while Crosby was winning the scoring title

Lemieux first season:
1Claude VerretTrois-Rivieres162
2Pierre RiouxShawinigan152
3John ChabotSherbrooke143
4Claude DrouinTrois-Rivieres130
5Jacques SylvestreGranby120
6Norman LefrancoisTrois-Rivieres116
7Luc DufourChicoutimi115
8Jean GauthierHull114
9Eric BernierChicoutimi109
10Daniel CampeauSherbrooke108
10Pierre SevignyTrois-Rivieres108
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Second season, #3:
1Pat LaFontaineVerdun234
2Claude VerretTrois-Rivieres188
3Mario LemieuxLaval184
4Sylvain TurgeonHull163
5Paul AdeyHull162
6Jean-Maurice CoolVerdun149
7Roberto LavoieChicoutimi136
7Benoit DoucetHull136
9Guy Pigeon2 teams133
10Gerard Gallant2 teams128
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Third season, do 20% better than Lafontaine the year before, 54% lead over number 2
1Mario LemieuxLaval282
2Jacques GoyetteLaval170
3Claude GosselinQuebec140
4Claude LefebvreQuebec135
5Guy RouleauLongueuil133
6Sergio MomessoShawinigan130
6Francois SillsLaval130
8Santino PellegrinoLongueuil124
8Paul GagneChicoutimi124
10Yves CourteauLaval120
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Crosby did lead the league in point is first year:
1Sidney CrosbyRimouski135
2Dany RoussinRimouski117
3Maxime TalbotGatineau98
4Jean-Michel DaoustGatineau96
5Benoit MondouShawinigan95
6Pascal PelletierShawinigan91
7Yannick TifuRouyn-Noranda90
8Guillaume Fournier2 teams88
9Francois-Pierre GuenetteCape Breton85
10Michael LambertP.E.I.84
10Karl GagneMoncton84
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
And is second year, 45% lead over number 2:
1Sidney CrosbyRimouski168
2Dany RoussinRimouski116
3Marc-Antoine PouliotRimouski114
4Maxime BoisclairChicoutimi108
5David DesharnaisChicoutimi97
6Stanislav LascekChicoutimi90
7Alex BourretLewiston86
8Alexandre PicardLewiston85
8Josh HennessyQuebec85
10Brent AubinRouyn-Noranda84
10Philippe DupuisRouyn-Noranda84
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Same with Lafleur, only at 19 and last season did he won the league scoring title:
1967-6816Quebec AcesQJHL43301949
1968-6917Quebec AcesQJHL49506011083
1969-7018Quebec RempartsQMJHL5610367170105
1970-7119Quebec RempartsQMJHL6213079209135
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
That said I would imagine that retirement is a combination of Crosby accepting to go and the Tanguay/Oceanic being more powerfull in the league than teams that do not exist anymore than purely legendary/merit/iconic base.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I always admired the silent dominators.

Then I guess you just must have loved Annika Sörenstam. We've had arguably the best female golf player of all time here where I come from, but she's already largely forgotten (not technically of course) in the collective mind, in a local "greatest athletes of all time" sense, and it's partly because she was just infuriatingly robotic. Sure golf isn't the biggest sport ever, and certainly not the most grassroots sports ever, and it was female sports too which is smaller in scope, but still.

Sure Björn Borg was a robot too, but at least you could see in his eyes the crazy guy (he was in junior).

On the other hand we had a character in alpine skiing (Anja Pärson) who was thoroughly outgoing and she became very loved by the general public (I was not a big fan personally though). We also had a character in cross country skiing (Wassberg) who was almost a caricature/parody of the grumpy woodsman/outdoorsman with an accompanying big brown beard, and he also became a favorite on the other side of the spectrum.

I don't want to watch pre mission HAL 9000 play golf, I want to watch him arrive to the 18th hole on the verge of a nervous breakdown doubting his own capabilities because his ship is closing in on Jupiter and the monolith and he can't handle it.

Imagine watching 2001 but instead of HAL you have Sörenstam, and the ship is just sailing along through space . . . calm . . . as . . . a . . . cucumber. Who would want to watch that.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Along with having a Top 10 skillset to go along with a rep for working on his game, Crosby may have been one of the most NHL ready prospects both physically and development-wise. The latter can be a big difference in explaining why he was as dominant as Mario in the Q but ultimately not as dominant in the NHL. He was being groomed for an NHL career from a very young age and was part of a development system that was a lot different than it was in Mario's time. I think McDavid also was ready to hit his prime from the get go too.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Along with having a Top 10 skillset to go along with a rep for working on his game, Crosby may have been one of the most NHL ready prospects both physically and development-wise. The latter can be a big difference in explaining why he was as dominant as Mario in the Q but ultimately not as dominant in the NHL. He was being groomed for an NHL career from a very young age and was part of a development system that was a lot different than it was in Mario's time. I think McDavid also was ready to hit his prime from the get go too.

I think that it was mostly about drive and work ethic. I don't think that anyone can question Crosby's work ethic, but it's pretty easy to do so regarding young Lemieux. It wouldn't surprise me if Crosby was just a lot closer to fulfilling his talent at that point.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Q has always been the weakest league ;)

Anyhow this was clearly a marketing gimmick and I almost guarantee you if he had a more common number like 7, 10, 19 etc it would not have been retired. Unlikely anyone is going to wear 87 just because he did.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Ridiculous.

Mario Lemieux scored 282 points in a Q league season, Crosby not even top 35 (has had less than half that many points).

Lafontaine (opps American - don't honor him), Lafleur, Robitaille, Hawerchuk, ... all have had more impressive seasons.

Careerwise in the Q...
HHOFers...

Mario Lemieux 562 points
Mike Bossy 532 points
Guy Carbonneau 435 points
Luc Robitaille 424 points
Sidney Crosby 293 points (not top 90).

The point: Crosby did not have one of the greatest seasons nor one of the greatest junior careers in the Q, but he had skill and projected greatness which he delivered on post-juniors. ARE JUNIORS TEAMS RETIRING POPULAR NHL SUPERSTARS OR... THE JUNIORS BEST?
Exactly what I thought. Except I'm not sure that he didnt have some of the best season s

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
For starters, it is a very unique number. Who else will wear #87 anyways? It isn't like it is number 3 or some low number that someone wears on every team. Not to mention this is an all-time great NHLer too who also had a splendid QMJHL career. I can distinctly remember the 2004-'05 season. The NHL is locked out and the London Knights' dominant season was the storyline, as well as what Crosby did. Plus, the way the schedule was worked that year he only missed 3 games for the World Juniors. Visiting teams ensured that he didn't miss coming to their barn because he was THE story of hockey that year.

I remember the year prior in 2004 when he did that wrap around lacrosse style goal behind the net in a blow out game. I liked it, even if it may have been running up the score. Heck, he was 16, so whatever. But the fact it was a story in the NHL tells you something.

I think Alex Lafreniere is going to be a fine talent in the NHL but as good of a year as he'll have they won't be watching him left right and centre in his draft year the way they did Crosby.

He had two unreal seasons in the QMJHL, has a unique number, is a unique and very high on the all-time list of players ever in the NHL. How is it bad that of all players it is him they pick?

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Do you have the numbers handy? I'd be curious how much closer to Lemieux's dominance Crosby gets after adjusting for scoring levels.
QMJHL gpg in 83-84: 10.02
QMJHL gpg in 03-04: 6.72

Lemieux had 282 points in 70 games. Adjust the scoring levels and pro-rate Crosby's season to 70 games and he has 283 points.

Mario obviously became the better player ultimately, but it's hard to not say that Crosby's season was more impressive, especially since he was a year younger. This also seems to indicate Crosby had the best pre-draft juniors career ever.

EDIT: I used the wrong year for Crosby. Scoring in 04-05 appears to be 6.38 gpg. Which would make Crosby's adjusted total 298.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad