Euro: QF: Wales vs. Belgium, 7/1/2016

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
This doesn't mean as much to me as beating England at the Rugby World Cup, or all the Six Nations grand slams and titles Wales have won in recent years, but still

What an absolute time to be alive, unbelievable scenes

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Too much being made of the buildup to the second goal. Robson-Kanu and the Belgian defense did most of the work.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Davies acquired a yellow vs. England and his second tonight and will miss the next match. That is 2 cards in 5 matches. So you're wrong.

My bad, I stand corrected. I had the CL and EL rules in mind that you included in your criticism earlier and I thought the Euros had the same rules.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I've been sitting here, and I don't know whether to cry or laugh. I'm just shocked.

This was our best chance to get to a final in, maybe, ever.. But once again, our lack of tactics and collectivity has failed us

I don't even know where to start. One thing's for sure, this coach(ing staff) has to go. It's been enough. We need to get someone in here who knows what they're doing. Stop ruining this golden generation before it's too late.

Also, congrats to Wales. Great game, and fully deserved.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, regarding the second goal, I also think Taylor's positioning plays a huge part. He was in perfect position for the layoff and that sent Belgium scrambling all over the place.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I know I've read it a lot on here but why has Wilmots lasted this long? Is it nepotism?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yeah that yellow card rule is beyond stupid, it's the same for the World Cup. You want a semi final with the best players and two cards in 5 games really isn't much. Much too harsh.

Should reset after the group stage.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
First of all, great performance by Wales in terms of ball movement and being far more tactically superior to Belgium. Their passion and heart doesn't need to be mentioned. Ramsey will be a massive loss due to his skill and composure on the ball which is far above those of his teamates and link up play with Bale... not having his polish on and off the ball will be a blow. Portugal will be missing Last years best player in the U21 Euros though in William Carvalho, as Danilo is far inferior on the ball.

Now onto Belgium, this game brought to light all the defects they had under Wilmots (lack of midfield balance and no positional/tactical awareness, poor when defending as a unit) and lack of quality fullbacks which are crucial to todays footy.

It hurts now, but I firmly believe long term this is the best for Belgium since you will now get a far superior coach who can hopefully fix that midfield and defense, and actually make Belgium a cohesive unit back to front. World Cup 2018 and Euro 2020 is coming up and with this group of players Belgium can challenge in both those tournaments with a quality manager, and with this loss they will make the required change.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Are there any good Belgian coaches?

Amongst the general population there's 1 name that most agree on should be the next coach (if it has to be a Belgian) and that's Michel Preud'homme, who's currently coaching Club Brugge. After last season, he was 50/50 to return to Brugge and eventually chose to after winning the league and qualifying for the CL. He's an excellent tactician and a master in prepping a team for big games. He's the kind of coach that doesn't let any detail go unnoticed and doesn't want to leaving anything to chance. He'd be perfect for the NT.

Eric Gerets would be another, but he just retired.

Third option would be Hein Vanhaezbrouck, who led Gent to their first ever title in 2015. He's done a great job everywhere he's been. He's a really smart coach. He reminds me a lot of the Leverkusen (and former Salzburg) coach who's name I can't remember at the moment.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Well deserved. Wales wanted it more. Wouldn't be surprised if they beat Portugal which will be a lot harder now with Davis & Ramsey suspended.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I've been sitting here, and I don't know whether to cry or laugh. I'm just shocked.

This was our best chance to get to a final in, maybe, ever.. But once again, our lack of tactics and collectivity has failed us

I don't even know where to start. One thing's for sure, this coach(ing staff) has to go. It's been enough. We need to get someone in here who knows what they're doing. Stop ruining this golden generation before it's too late.

These are my same exact thoughts. I'm not laughing or crying. Just in utter state of shock. They already ruined the golden generation and their best chance at a final. No way they make it further in WC 2018 or Euro 2020.

Overconfidence from Wilmots and lack of preparation. Players had time off in the lead up to this game. Time off? You're playing in a tournament! This isn't a holiday!

****ing Wales :shakehead

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Its a team sport. The end.

When have Belgium ever been a team?

Golden generation?

Overrated.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah Belgium had never looked like a team. Just a lot of talented individuals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->