World Cup: QF: Uruguay vs. France, 7/6/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The way Uruguay is playing it might as well be. That second goal came at the worst possible time for them.

It looked to me like their manager right afterward said to the bloke next to him on the bench "We're done." I mean it probably looked like that to me because that's just how it must have felt to everyone in the stadium and watching anywhere on TV.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It looked to me like their manager right afterward said to the bloke next to him on the bench "We're done." I mean it probably looked like that to me because that's just how it must have felt to everyone in the stadium and watching anywhere on TV.
and it translated on the pitch. The game was open and Uruguay was showing some attitude in them. Then a fluke happens and they're deflated. They just subbed as well, which is always a bad time to get scored on.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I disagree.

If we were talking about Uruguay vs. Saudi Arabia and Egypt, then you'd be correct. The amount of young talent they finally deployed with Torreira, Nandez and Betancur is extremely bright, much more so than a Mascheranosaurus and the corpse of Lucas Biglia, etc (which is a shame because a player like Lo Celso was left to rot on the bench).

I said it in other threads and I'll say it again: that lineup set by Tabarez last game is their best lineup and the one they should have used from the jump.

What was that? Oh that’s right, like I said, average midfield completely exposed by great midfield. This match was far easier than the Argentina one.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
YES !
6th WC semi final. Goal is attained for me, the rest is bonus.
We have a shot at it, but that's totally fine with me if we lose to Brazil. Except I'd like to keep the tradition of kicking their ass in the WC.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
YES !
We have a shot at it, but that's totally fine with me if we lose to Brazil. Except I'd like to keep the tradition of kicking their ass in the WC.

I think France is a better team than Brazil. The team is very young though and the peak should be 2022, not this year. If they win, I agree it would be gravy. I think France should be considered the favourite at this point though.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Great midfield? I mean, there's zero creativity in it whatsoever but they're really good at winning the ball back.

...which is literally the point of this midfield. Do you want Kanté to dribble around 9 opponents and score? He dominated winning balls, Pogba dominated with it as his feet.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
YES !
You will play Belgium, not Bazil.

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
Good, mature win from France. They played a complete game against a mostly-defensive team who had trouble keeping the ball and were a lot less effective without Cavani on the counter. I think Argentina was the 'statement' game against a 'big' team. This one was the composed, effective performance that France is actually designed to play. Kante was once again phenomenal. He won't win it, but for me he's been the best player in this WC so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad