World Cup: QF: Sweden vs. England, 7/7/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
English football fans are like Canadians hockey fans. Arrogant. Only difference is that canada can actually back it up with being the best country.
LOL. They are more like Leaf Fans...still look back to 66 and 67 but both have had nothing to back up since.

I am surprised at the odds:
World Cup odds 2018: Strong picks, predictions from model that's nailed knockout stage
I would not have England that high (4-1), or Sweden that low (25-1), of winning the Cup given the 8 remaining teams.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
English football fans are like Canadians hockey fans. Arrogant. Only difference is that canada can actually back it up with being the best country.

The media are like that, most of the fans are currently wondering how long it’s going to take before we return to the usual failure

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
The media are like that, most of the fans are currently wondering how long it’s going to take before we return to the usual failure

I think claims like England beats Sweden 99 out of 100 times, is mostly just pumping your tires, rather than something serious (since thats so obviously not the case).

And tabloids are tabloids. They need thier click baits.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
LOL. They are more like Leaf Fans...still look back to 66 and 67 but both have had nothing to back up since.

I am surprised at the odds:
World Cup odds 2018: Strong picks, predictions from model that's nailed knockout stage
I would not have England that high (4-1), or Sweden that low (25-1), of winning the Cup given the 8 remaining teams.

England always get better odds at the bookies than they deserve because the bookies know lots of English people will bet on them, with the gambling culture and relatively high population, especially now when optimism is sky high. So if they win they won't have to pay out as much.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The lyrics to the original, 1996 version of football's coming home aren't triumphalist at all. One of the reason many real fans took to it was precisely that it doesn't make grandiose claims at odds with England's actual results. I can believe that 22 years later people might sing the lyrics without paying attention to their meaning. After all, consider all the pop / rock songs belted out by cheerful hordes who misunderstand the author's intent.

Correct.

If anything it is the opposite.

And saying it is "coming home" is in many ways historically true - at least in terms of having a governing body (kicking round things was hardly invented in England).

Reactions: Stray Wasp

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Tough game this. But I at least expect it to be played fairly unlike the last one. Sweden are a very organized team who always seem to punch above their weight. I think we'll be playing for set pieces and hope to get our goals that way, as Sweden will play deep and defend in numbers. England are going to have a lot of the ball, so we need to try and draw fouls around the Sweden box. They're going to very hard to break down in open play. It's important we leave enough guys back that we don't get caught on the break, as that will almost certainly be Swedens play. I'm nervous already.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Regarding the fans, I have not met many English fans in my day to day life but I've met a lot of Italian fans. You guys wanna talk about chauvinistic? I don't see how English fans might be worst than that.

Reactions: Big Kahuna

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Gareth Southgate looks set for a much-needed boost as his battle-weary squad prepare for Saturday’s World Cup quarter-final clash with Sweden in Samara.

The Three Lions came through a nailing biting penalty shootout win over Colombia on Tuesday evening, but the victory came at a cost. Jamie Vardy is rated as a major doubt after aggravating a long-standing groin problem, although there was better news regarding Kyle Walker who is expected to recover from the muscle cramp which forced him off during extra-time. Harry Kane complained of discomfort in his calf, but initial tests suggest it is fatigue-related, and the England captain should train ahead of the game. Dele Alli [thigh] will be checked while Ashley Young is hoping to shake off ankle and thigh knocks. However, Southgate can call upon Danny Rose as a like-for-like replacement if there are any complications. Fabian Delph, who flew home last Friday, makes a timely return to the fold following the birth of his third child on Wednesday.

Source: Daily Mail
Jul 5 - 4:51 AM

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Great. And you finished last in the group while we got through.
And it has no relevance to the actual team anyway.

EDIT : you did lose to England back then... :sarcasm:
We beat france 2-1 wc 2018 qualifier

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

The memes have begun. Love how people get upset over that song. No one actually believes it's coming home.

That's the thing that makes me laugh. People know it is most likely we won't win it. But we're having a laugh with it so f*** it.

QF is what I wanted, I'm happy. SF? f*** I'd be ecastic.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
That's the thing that makes me laugh. People know it is most likely we won't win it. But we're having a laugh with it so **** it.

This is why England are my 2nd favourite team. Probably the most fun to follow cos of the memes and the media, win or (eventually) lose.

RedLeader

Feb 13, 2008
DhPqfjYX4AAI5jw.jpg

Some interesting statistics after the round of 16. All the top teams in the round of 16 by this metric advanced to the quarter finals.

Sweden has the best defence in the tourny, well known fact, but I keep telling you that Sweden is more dangerous than they look, they are also the third best getting past the opponents defence.

Now so far.
France beat Uruguay and Belgium beat Brazil, also predicted by this metric. Which makes this 10 for 10 so far in the playoffs.

Following this trend, Russia beats Croatia and Sweden takes care of England.

Food for thought.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad