World Cup: QF: Russia vs. Croatia, 7/7/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
This yellow card rule is a complete nonsense. You get punished because you have good referees in your games, especially this year when 90% of the referees just don't give cards.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I wouldn't doubt Russia advancing again.

Always love when people refer to teams as though they were a composite of their entire history.
Well that's how it works lots of times, learn some history you will see it repeats itself quite often, some teams and players in sports have trouble against specific teams-players in ways that logic can't explain.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
When did he get his first?

This is a HUGE loss. Zobnin has been Russia’s best defensive presence and a catalyst behind many counters.

I will argue that he has been Russia’s best all-around player.
Zobnin isn't suspended.

What is the probable 11 at the moment?

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Well that's how it works lots of times, learn some history you will see it repeats itself quite often, some teams and players in sports have trouble against specific teams-players in ways that logic can't explain.

Except even if that was true, that wasn't even what you were arguing. You said because Russia made a better run in a tournament more recently than Croatia, that they will win convincingly, and made an even worse example when you alluded to their Soviet teams. Anyone with any sense can see how irrelevant and dumb that is.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Except even if that was true, that wasn't even what you were arguing. You said because Russia made a better run in a tournament more recently than Croatia, that they will win convincingly, and made an even worse example when you alluded to their Soviet teams. Anyone with any sense can see how irrelevant and dumb that is.
No I was saying that both Russia and Croatia made SF recently, well more recently Russia, responding to the poster who was laughing at the remaining teams in the half of the bracket. When was the last time England made a SF? Before both Russia and Croatia.

As far as my pick for Russia winning convincingly well that's purely a fan talking...Croatia will play much better that yesterday but I think Russia will prevail in a very good game. Golovin Cheryshev Dzyuba will shine again.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
No I was saying that both Russia and Croatia made SF recently, well more recently Russia, responding to the poster who was laughing at the remaining teams in the half of the bracket. When was the last time England made a SF? Before both Russia and Croatia.

Sorry then for interpreting that part of your post wrong.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Kap-the-Head

Jan 7, 2006
Saint Charles, IL

As far as my pick for Russia winning convincingly well that's purely a fan talking...Croatia will play much better that yesterday but I think Russia will prevail in a very good game. Golovin Cheryshev Dzyuba will shine again.

I wish I had your confidence, I just do not see how Russia can match Croatia one for one, unless Cherchesov has another tactical surprise up his sleeve.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I wish I had your confidence, I just do not see how Russia can match Croatia one for one, unless Cherchesov has another tactical surprise up his sleeve.

I'd say of the last 3 games (Uruguay, Spain, and now Croatia) Croatia might be the better of the matchup for Russia of the 3. I think we'll see more offence in this game from the Russian forwards

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I'd say of the last 3 games (Uruguay, Spain, and now Croatia) Croatia might be the better of the matchup for Russia of the 3

I don't know, I don't think Croatia will be content to aimlessly pass the ball sideways and backwards for most of the game.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Zobnin isn't suspended.

What is the probable 11 at the moment?
Depends what Cherchesov is planning. Also depends on Zhirkov situation.

I’m not a fan of 3-CB alignment. I get it, it worked vs Spain, but I think Croatia will break through. The idea that quantity offsets quality is very flawed. I think you need to put your best possible midfield on the field vs Croatia.

Unfortunately, we could be looking at a situation where both Kudryashov AND Granat are starting.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Croatia has a lot more quality especially in midfield. They need to play better then they did against Denmark and i believe they will as they finally vanquished the terrible memories of Turkey in Euro 2008. This Croatian team has always showed flashes of great football but we're known as chokers in the knockout stage. I think they have finally gotten over that mental hurdle

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Russia is territory bike and it’s doubtful that Croatia sit back like Spain did that give Russia a chance to hold on.

Only chance for Russia is to get help from the refs like last game.

Croatia wins 4-0

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Russia is territory bike and it’s doubtful that Croatia sit back like Spain did that give Russia a chance to hold on.

Only chance for Russia is to get help from the refs like last game.

Croatia wins 4-0
Hahaha, you’re pretty desperate

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I’m loving the underdog tag.

No one knows this team, even those that follow it. It’s brand new. A totally new generation of players that are being judged based on their predecessors.

A majority of current starters have only a handful of NT caps and even some of that was subs.

22-year-old Golovin is one of the vets.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I’m loving the underdog tag.

No one knows this team, even those that follow it. It’s brand new. A totally new generation of players that are being judged based on their predecessors.

A majority of current starters have only a handful of NT caps and even some of that was subs.

22-year-old Golovin is one of the vets.
Corluka I would say knows the Russian team very well.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So, Russia and England are the only 2nd placed teams from their group to make into the QFs. That nobody from the group H made isn't that big surprise, but Group B teams missing is. Before the tournament start, it was considered one of the three toughest groups by many.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Croatia's win over Denmark was their first knockout game win since 1998 is that possible?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
So, Russia and England are the only 2nd placed teams from their group to make into the QFs. That nobody from the group H made isn't that big surprise, but Group B teams missing is. Before the tournament start, it was considered one of the three toughest groups by many.

And fans of Group B teams would likely have considered it a stroke of good fortune that they get to play Group A teams in the Round of 16. Goes to show you that bracket watching is pointless really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->