Euro: QF: Portugal vs. Poland, 6/30/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Least deserving semifinalist in a long time.

Brazil was just two years ago and I don't consider the way they lost in the SF when saying that. Uruguay also handballed their way to an SF after only beating South Africa, Mexico and South Korea.

Yeah yeah Brazil won some games but those were all undeserved. Anyone can go through those threads, they were totally bogus.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Brazil was just two years ago and I don't consider the way they lost in the SF when saying that. Uruguay also handballed their way to an SF after only beating Mexico and South Korea.

Yeah yeah they won some games but those were all undeserved. Anyone can go through those threads, they were totally bogus.
I will never forget that match. Ever.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
We love you Kubaaa. Thanks for everything, great display by Polish team :clap: Congrats to Portugal and good luck :thumbu:

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Brazil was just two years ago and I don't consider the way they lost in the SF when saying that. Uruguay also handballed their way to an SF after only beating South Africa, Mexico and South Korea.

Yeah yeah they won some games but those were all undeserved. Anyone can go through those threads, they were totally bogus.

Meh, it still seems much more impressive than Portugal tying Austria and Hungary.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Meh, it still seems much more impressive than Portugal tying Austria and Hungary.

Perhaps. But I recently read those threads for Brazil/Chile and Brazil/Colombia and they were a never ending stream of complaining about the ref. So that may have tainted my viewpoint.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Paraguay made the final of the 2011 Copa America drawing all five games prior to the final, at least Portugal technically won a match in ET :laugh:

Think Belgium can beat them easily though, however they must get past Wales first. Fernando Santos is a good international coach, their teams play boring football but he is now 3 for 3 in getting teams out the group stage

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Can't wait for Portugal to be eliminated, but I could see them beating Belgium.

Poland got what they deserved. Had far too much respect for that Portugal team.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Another yet stuttering performance, we had more chances but Ronaldo...WTF how can he miss those opportunities?

Wearing a Real Madrid jersey and those are in the back of the net, but somehow he just transforms into a ****** for Portugal.

I personally believe it's the captains armband, he's not captain material or a leader and the weight of it effects him psychologically.

As for the match, I was waiting for a slow start which is typical of Portugal but after 25 minutes things were comfortable for the most part, but the agony of ****ing passing the ball and then crossing it for NO REASON with NO ONE in the box is pathetic. Or the amount of times the ball is worked into a decent position and instead of making that one final pass we just hoof and pray around the 18.

That's no Portuguese soccer, Eusebio/Coluna/Simoes/Torres and Figo/Rui Costa/Deco/Maniche/Miguel are rolling in their ****ing graves with crap like that.

Pepe was easily MOTM, the most hated man in world soccer probably but yet another great performance. Hopefully he can keep his head in it.

Renato Sanches will be a huge player, and here's praying to God that Raphael Gurreiro is fully fit in 6 days, need him vs a Belgium team that's terrifying offensively but lacks balance in midfield and is weak defensively.

Need to play A LOT better than today though.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The teardrop tattoo or tear tattoo is a symbolic tattoo of a tear that is placed underneath the eye. The tattoo can have various meanings: it can signify that the wearer has killed someone[1] or has spent time in prison;[2] that the wearer was raped while incarcerated[3][4] or it can acknowledge the loss of a family or fellow gang member. Sometimes, only the wearer will know the exact meaning of the tattoo.[4][5]

Everyone can judge which of those is the most likely.

This may also be why:

Quaresma is of partial Romani descent,[37] earning him the nickname O Cigano (The Gypsy).[46] Speaking of an alleged racial slur towards him by an opponent in 2014, he said "When I hear people say there is no racism nowadays it makes me laugh. When something happens in Portugal it's always fault of gypsies, blacks, immigrants. It's tough to live with this."[46]

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Why is Quaresma crying all the time?

Probably because when he and Ronaldo were both at Sporting he was widely regarded as the greater talent, and since Barcelona his career has been a how to guide in not fulfilling great potential.

So now he finally near the end of his career has done something for Portugal.

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
Probably because when he and Ronaldo were both at Sporting he was widely regarded as the greater talent, and since Barcelona his career has been a how to guide in not fulfilling great potential.

So now he finally near the end of his career has done something for Portugal.

He had pretty good years in Porto. So much so that Mourinho brought him to Inter Milan. But yeah, lots of unrealized potential there...

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I think Portugal deserves to be in the semifinal. It's good to have chance to watch more of Ronaldo and Sanches in the tournament as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Deserve? They don't deserve anything after failing to win a single 90 minute game and flaming Iceland on their defensive tactics (which were much less defensive than Portugal's against Croatia).

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
This game was a disgrace. I hope either Wales or Belgium gives Portugal the boot. Ridiculous:shakehead

Feeling like 2004.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
It would be bloody disgraceful, especially since Portugal play an ugly style of football. Greece at least won 3 times within the 90 back in 2004.

Well, what is an attractive style? Free flowing and attacking?

Kind of like these games:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/matches/round=2000448/match=2017959/statistics/index.html

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/matches/round=2000448/match=2017961/statistics/index.html

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/season=2016/matches/round=2000448/match=2017964/statistics/index.html

Game|Shots|On Target|Goals|Possession
Portugal vs Iceland| 27 | 10 | 1 | 66%
Portugal vs Austria | 23 | 6 | 0 | 59%
Portugal vs Hungary | 19 | 6 | 3 | 58%

And is that the same Iceland that is in the Quarter Finals after eliminating and actually completely outplaying England?

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I think Portugal deserves to be in the semifinal. It's good to have chance to watch more of Ronaldo and Sanches in the tournament as well.

That's literally the only positive thing about this, IMO.

You misspelled Guerreiro :p:

Anyway, I wasn't as high on Sanches' performance as some others were. It's not always a good thing for a midfielder to be everywhere and always involved in the play.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Deserve? They don't deserve anything after failing to win a single 90 minute game and flaming Iceland on their defensive tactics (which were much less defensive than Portugal's against Croatia).

What no they werent, Portugal had more than 70% possession at times vs Iceland

We tried to win playing great soccer that enamored the casual fans, Euro 2000, Euro 2004 etc, and it didnt work.

Yes do i not like the pragmatic boring **** Santos plays, especially due to the talent coming up now...but in the end it gets results.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
This game was a disgrace. I hope either Wales or Belgium gives Portugal the boot. Ridiculous:shakehead

Feeling like 2004.

The three group games where Portugal dominated and everyone has to admit were extremely unlucky in terms of missing truckloads of chances are nowhere near what Greece did in 2004.

Fernado Santos did play his ******** bunker style vs Croatia, but Croatia also played cautiously and didnt commit many bodies forward due to being wary as well.

Against Poland Portugal were the "better" team and had more shots/chances and controlled the game after the opening 20 minutes.

The hate is strong, very strong.

Everyone wants to see Ronaldo fail and no one is praising Pepe for being the best defender in the tournament so far.

Cant wait until Mourinho coaches us, especially with the fantastic young generations coming up, we will be the ultimate dark side team

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Everyone wants to see Ronaldo fail and no one is praising Pepe for being the best defender in the tournament so far.

I want to see Pepe fail far more than Ronaldo. Pepe has a far worse personality on the field, and if he were as famous and got as much closeup camera time as Ronaldo, people would hate him far more. He has been very good, but not the best defender of the tournament.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
What no they werent, Portugal had more than 70% possession at times vs Iceland

We tried to win playing great soccer that enamored the casual fans, Euro 2000, Euro 2004 etc, and it didnt work.

Yes do i not like the pragmatic boring **** Santos plays, especially due to the talent coming up now...but in the end it gets results.

As a Portugese fan, you have every right to be happy.
Us neutral observers have every right to complain that a team playing ****** football and not even capable of beating Iceland, Hungary, Austria, Croatia or Poland in 90 minutes doesn't deserve to be in a Euro semifinal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad