Euro: QF: Portugal vs. Poland, 6/30/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I have a feeling Portugal will advance. Poland needs much better play from Lewandowski. Expect this will be more of an attacking game with both teams thinking the win is there for the taking. Portugal will also be more tired.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't see any reason for Portugal to play any less defensively against Poland than they did Croatia. The question will be whether poland show more attacking intent with Kapustka coming back...and hopefully Zielinski joining him & Krychowiak behind Lewy-Milik.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Nawalka seemingly doesn't trust his bench much aside from few guys so I wouldn't get my hopes up to see Zielinski. I actually wanted to see him subbed in so badly against Switzerland for either Grosicki or Maczynski but Nawalka decided to sit on the lead unsuccessfully as I was suffering on the couch while watching Poland getting throughly outplayed until Shaqiri put one behind Fabianski.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
They should re-print this by Ronaldo, only replace "ICELAND" in his comments with "PORTUGAL"...
“Iceland didn’t try anything,” whined the Portuguese captain. “They were just defend, defend, defend and playing on the counterattack. It was a lucky night for them. We should have three points but we are OK. I thought they’d won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end. It was unbelievable. When they don’t try to play and just defend, defend, defend, this in my opinion shows a small mentality and they are not going to do anything in the competition.” They have already accomplished more than expected and were at one with their fans after the final whistle while Ronaldo raged at the referee.

more like...

"Portugal didn’t try anything,” whined the Portuguese captain. "we were just defend, defend, defend and playing on the counterattack. It was a lucky night for us. Croatia should have three points but we are OK. I thought we’d won the Euros the way we celebrated at the end. It was unbelievable. When we don’t try to play and just defend, defend, defend, this in my opinion shows a small mentality and we are not going to do anything in the competition.” we have already accomplished more than expected and were at one with our fans after the final whistle while Ronaldo raged at the referee...

Last edited:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
I have a feeling Portugal will advance. Poland needs much better play from Lewandowski. Expect this will be more of an attacking game with both teams thinking the win is there for the taking. Portugal will also be more tired.

lulz what?

Portugal has 5 days off and Ricardo Carvalho who was incredible the first 2 matches will be well rested and will partner Pepe who was fantastic today.

Cedric is easily better than Vieirinha and will play his only second game.

Raphael Gurreiro didnt play vs Hungary and will be fine with another 5 days off.

Adrien was a workhorse and did his job, allowing Moutinho to rest for over a week and to refocus and attempt to rediscover some of his form.

Andre Gomes is carrying a knock so 5 days is a good amount for him, and if not Renato Sanches who has only made sub appearances so far can do the job with not alot of minutes on his legs.

Portugal wont be "tired"

Santos will employ his completely ******** Bunkering style despite the amount of quality in midfield at his disposal....another crap game to watch I bet.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
I want Poland to win but Ronaldo will obliterate the terrible polish defense.

Lewandowski has been one of the worst players in the tourney along with Milik.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

How is Poland's defense terrible? They have conceded one goal in 390 minutes and have generally been stable.

Second paragraph is hyperbole. Milik has been ok.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
How is Poland's defense terrible? They have conceded one goal in 390 minutes and have generally been stable.

Second paragraph is hyperbole. Milik has been ok.

LOL Milik has been OK? Milik is the worst player I've ever seen. Guy skies every shot wide, don't know why he has any success in any league but he is not a player suited for national team play.

Poland plays fine defensively as a team and is saved by great goaltending, but their back line has huge holes.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Kuba has been amazing though, along with Grosicki and Krychowiak. Fabianski was fantastic as well and that's why they are going through.

These guys can beat a poor Portugal defense so it's a 50/50 game.

idiroft

Sep 21, 2012
Lisboa
They should re-print this by Ronaldo, only replace "ICELAND" in his comments with "PORTUGAL"...
“Iceland didn’t try anything,” whined the Portuguese captain. “They were just defend, defend, defend and playing on the counterattack. It was a lucky night for them. We should have three points but we are OK. I thought they’d won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end. It was unbelievable. When they don’t try to play and just defend, defend, defend, this in my opinion shows a small mentality and they are not going to do anything in the competition.” They have already accomplished more than expected and were at one with their fans after the final whistle while Ronaldo raged at the referee.

more like...

"Portugal didn’t try anything,” whined the Portuguese captain. "we were just defend, defend, defend and playing on the counterattack. It was a lucky night for us. Croatia should have three points but we are OK. I thought we’d won the Euros the way we celebrated at the end. It was unbelievable. When we don’t try to play and just defend, defend, defend, this in my opinion shows a small mentality and we are not going to do anything in the competition.” we have already accomplished more than expected and were at one with our fans after the final whistle while Ronaldo raged at the referee...

All Croatian tears shall be used to salt codfish. Thank you!

Bacalhau_12623.jpg

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
LOL Milik has been OK? Milik is the worst player I've ever seen. Guy skies every shot wide, don't know why he has any success in any league but he is not a player suited for national team play.

Poland plays fine defensively as a team and is saved by great goaltending, but their back line has huge holes.

:facepalm: This is why you shouldn't offer sweeping verdicts on a player's value after four matches. His finishing at Ajax and in qualifying matches was good, and he offers a lot of creativity.

He has been ok this tournament but can do a lot better.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013

Dude. Your comment regarding the Polish defense is the furthest thing from the truth. Out of all the things you could have said, you picked the most incorrect statement to make. You just admitted that you have not watched the Polish games. I hope you get to watch the PL-PT game.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
At the beginning of the tournament, I said I'll be happy if Poland make the quarters, so they met my expectations, any win from now on would be icing on cake for me. Hopefully the team will feel less pressure now and Lewy and Milik will find their touch.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
I wouldn't dub Portugal as "bad guys", sure their win against Croatia was ugly, but during the group stage they had the most shot attempts among all teams. They bear some similarities to Italy's 94 team, which also advanced to knockout stage after coming 3rd in their group.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Glik and Pazdan have been excellent. It just needs the players upfront to start taking their chances. Kapustka should play behind Lewa. He's an outstanding prospect with Adamczuk also waiting in the wings.

Rybus is a bit of a miss in an attacking sense. I hope they do it. A long time since Lato, Deyna, Zmuda and company were cruelly denied. Especially in 74 by the weather.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Huge blow, it looks like Raphael Gurreiro isn't fit to play so Eliseu will start.

Horrible:(

From one of the best fullback talents in Europe and someone whose been one of Portugals best to a lump of ******** lard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad