Euro: QF: Germany vs. Italy, 7/2/2016

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Live in the Now, Jun 27, 2016.

1. serp

serp Registered User

There's still some time till Thursday so i would think its very likely Schweinsteiger will be ready to play if Khedira can't go . ( at least he'll start the game finishing is a different matter )

Gomez is gonna hurt though. Gotta hope Götze used his time off or Müller somehow actually scores a goal at a EURO .

Hummels is gonna suck as well . Very likely Höwedes is gonna replace him , he's the clear cut #3 on the position. Mustafi only played there against Ukraine because Höwedes was used elsewhere . Löw just trusts Mustafi less . By the way Germany has never lost a tournament game where Höwedes played .

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. Sabresfansince1980

Sabresfansince1980 Registered User

I need something explained to me...

Weaker teams that sit back and defend all day and hope for one break or PKs to win are rightly called out for their lack of attack, boring or uninspired play.

Italy do the same thing, and it's called "master class" and Conte is a "master tactician".

I'm all for teams doing whatever they can, with whatever amount of guile and will they can muster to win a tournament, but I don't enjoy what seems like a double standard. Certainly Italy is better than other sides that came to only defend, but Italy was outmatched against Germany the same way weaker sides were outmatched in other contests, and they came to only defend and hope for a break.

If not for an incredibly fortunate break, this game likely ends 2-0 after Italy get desperate in the final minutes, and nobody leaves with a sour taste for both sides after that snooze fest extra time, and gong show display in PKs.

3. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    Italy only had one less shot on target than Germany despite playing that way. That's why it's master tactics.

The only double standard I see is that lots of German players whined and dived yesterday and nobody said anything about it.

4. Balance

Balance Jesus loves you!

Agreed, Germany is the much better team. The game wasn't even close. Italy never got 1 opportunity the entire game and got a lucky handball. They deserved to lose.

5. WhiskeySeven*

WhiskeySeven* Expect the expected

Like I said before, I was drunk as hell - which were the big instances of diving?

6. Sabresfansince1980

Sabresfansince1980 Registered User

One less shot on target says nothing to the amount of quality chances, which Italy had zero of (Germany just a few). They had almost no hope of scoring without Boetang's gift. As far as diving, I don't believe I saw one egregious dive on either side. Whining was equal for both but not an offensive amount. Both sides appeared to play with respect for each other (perhaps too much as far as game tactics).

7. Evilo

Evilo Registered User

Diving didn't strike particularly.
    But until Germany's goal, their dominating play also didn't strike me. I can remember more dangerous situations for Italy than Germany until Ozil's (lucky) goal.

It was a nice performance by Italy because they went neck to neck (and also in terms of chances) with the best roster in this tournament. And that italian team was missing its best player and was one of the weakest in years.

8. Live in the Now

Live in the Now Registered User

Awards:
    Ozil and Boateng had two. Neuer turning and running into Pelle when he lost the ball and the referee wasn't paying attention. That's just off the top of my head. Muller also had one when running towards the corner flag.

I never complain about diving. But a lot of people here have a habit of it and when Germany decides to play like that they go dead silent. Can't go around complaining about Spain acting like that and then not say anything when a team does just as bad.

9. Deficient Mode

Deficient Mode Registered User

Fielding an inferior player just because he has more NT experience is a stupid risk. Kimmich had the same amount of NT experience before this tournament.

10. serp

serp Registered User

What you , i or any other fan think is inferior is not the same opinion of the actual coach . Kimmich played because there's literally no other choice unless you count playing offensively challenged centre back like Höwedes/Mustafi there . Even Löw saw that wouldn't cut it this time. It worked the the WC because Lahm is/was one the worlds best players at his position so the team could afford to completely forfeit one side offensively. With Hector thats not the case.

11. yoplait

yoplait Registered User

Proud of what Italy accomplished. If you told me we would finish 1st in group, beat Spain and then bring Germany to penalties without Verratti, Marchisio, De Rossi and Candreva I would have thought you were insane.

12. Theokritos

Theokritos Moderator

Considering their roster... it wouldn't have been a shock if they didn't even make the round of 16. Expectations for Italy were very low this time around.

13. Deficient Mode

Deficient Mode Registered User

And that attitude deserves criticism if he doesn't play Weigl because Can has a few more caps and the latter doesn't play well. Why did he ignore Weigl up until a month ago when he was performing at a world class level for Dortmund all season?

Their roster has some very nice players. Certainly a lot better than the teams that didn't even make the R16.

14. Eisen

Eisen Registered User

Not because of Höwedes. He is sound defensively, but you need a lot more from your defenders these days. He hurts less in the centre.

15. NHL Dude 120

NHL Dude 120 Registered User

Dragon Slayer
    They have to work on penalties, I don't k ow what's going on in their heads but we only won out of luck. If we go to penalties against France we would lose.

16. WhiskeySeven*

This France team doesn't exactly scream guile or mental acuity either.

I wouldn't expect Germany lose to France if it goes to penalties. But without Mario or Hummels, it doesn't look all that good.

17. NHL Dude 120

NHL Dude 120 Registered User

Dragon Slayer
    I think they will squeak out a win, only thing is Boatang can't get booked.

18. cgf

cgf FireBednarsSuccessor

Browbeaten Bookkeeper
    That's a bingo.

Germany has no better choice. That's why he should've started the tourney in the lineup; as better green than crappy.

But you're right; Jogi won't play him, he's way too dumb to do something that obvious.

19. les Habs

les Habs Registered User

Yep. Boateng took a bid dive in the box looking for a penalty. I wouldn't call that Muller instance necessarily a dive (though I wouldn't rule it out), but at the very least it was embellishing and of course he looked for whatever he could get from the refs.

Well they can because they clearly do, but :handclap: for calling it out.

20. WhiskeySeven*

At this point in my footballing fandom I appreciate gamesmanship a lot more than before. But I'm still yet to be a victim of a blatant dive - so we'll see.

I think feigning injury and diving should be separate from embellishment. I'm not sure which is worse, or caught less, but I accept embellishment as part of the game. Diving without contact and rolling like one's been shot should carry a post-Match suspension, it doesn't make sense why they haven't cracked down on it.

21. mmk786

mmk786 Registered User

Muller was acting like a ***** all game.

22. Power Man

Power Man Grrrr

23. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Registered User

****ing Zaza.....

YOU HAD ONE JOB! :laugh:

24. Uncle Rotter

Uncle Rotter Registered User

Yellow cards are thrown out after the SF

25. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

Agreed.