Euro: QF: Germany vs. Italy, 7/2/2016

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
No expectations.

I think Germany wins 1-0.

(I am already nervous as hell, I may be dead by Saturday)

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
It's interesting that Italy has now gone back to it's roots and finding great success so far in this tournament. Italy/Sweden was one of the worst football matches I had seen in ages, with Italy being quite simply incapable of setting any sort of offensive rhythm in the match. A huge contrast to the way schooled England so badly at the last World cup.

Prandelli tried to make Italy a build it from the back, ball playing team and the results were so-so at best (Reaching the final in 2012 but getting destroyed once there) and the pitiful WC two years ago.

Make no mistakes, this Italian team is built to take down better teams. I don't know if they can handle Germany but there is zero doubt in my mind that they would defeat France.
Agreed.

I think they're going to be a thorn in anybody's side because of their heart and defensive resolve. They just can't create much of anything going forward, but that hasn't stopped anybody before.

This is probably the weakest Italian squad in a very long time but that still hasn't stopped them from performing at the level they did against Belgium and Spain. We likely won't see Italy having the lion's share of chances and meaningful possession, but they are still the best team defensively and possess a strong resolve and tactical superiority due to Conte's fantastic work. This is the one game where having a stronger squad offers little advantage for Germany.
Well you can't just dismiss that piece-for-piece Germany is superior in a majority of positions. It's a fact.

I think this game will be really stressful for Germans and German supporters.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
1-0 Germany. Yes Italy is their kryptonite, but this German machine is just too strong for a weaker than usual Italy squad (I know they are getting the results, but the talent gap will show in this one).

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
People are basing a perceived talent gap only on what they see on paper, the clubs they play for etc.. If that counted, Iceland would have lost 5-0 to England.

In reality, Italy have of course been the best team so far this tournament - in the matches that really mattered. They made Spain and Belgium look silly, which is a bit different from making Slovakia or Northern Ireland look silly. And they did this not just with 'resolve' but with really quite effective offensive play with several players putting in performances they 'on paper' shouldn't be capable of.

I'm not saying Italy *will* win but Italy are more than capable of winning this game and tournament. Germany will once again press high and leave space in midfield. In 2012, Italy frustrated a German team playing pretty much the same sort of football they play now. There's no reason to think it can't happen again.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
By the way, is there a bigger bad ass than Chiellini in football? You get the feeling he's in the wrong era since he would fit in so well alongside Claudio Gentile kicking the living shyte out of guys.:laugh:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Agreed.

I think they're going to be a thorn in anybody's side because of their heart and defensive resolve. They just can't create much of anything going forward, but that hasn't stopped anybody before.

Well you can't just dismiss that piece-for-piece Germany is superior in a majority of positions. It's a fact.

I think this game will be really stressful for Germans and German supporters.

Can't say I disagree but if Italy's back end specifically their back three shut down the German offense Italy is a counter attack away from winning.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto
De Rossi is still reporting as injured for Italy... with Thiago Motta suspended for this game, I have no idea how Conte is going to plug that whole. There is nobody who can really replace them in center mid.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
De Rossi is still reporting as injured for Italy... with Thiago Motta suspended for this game, I have no idea how Conte is going to plug that whole. There is nobody who can really replace them in center mid.

Italy's performance at this tournament to date should tell you that the actual players don't matter.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
1-0 Germany. Yes Italy is their kryptonite, but this German machine is just too strong for a weaker than usual Italy squad (I know they are getting the results, but the talent gap will show in this one).

What "machine" are you talking about. There wasn't a single game so far Germany's defence has been challenged. Scoring 3 against an overachieving Slovak team is good. but not a miracle.
That been said I'm confident for Germany, but as some poster stated the Italians were by far the best team this tournament.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I know that I have been harping on this, but I would really like to see Insigne get a start. If Germany is going to press high, I'd like to see Insigne drop back deeper and pick the ball up in the midfield and carry it into the final third. Since a lot of the quality youngsters were left at home and Marchisio is hurt, Insigne is the most dynamic player Italy have.

I think he can take advantage and create in those open spaces. I'm just hoping Conte will follow through and do it and not go stupid with someone like Sturaro.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I know that I have been harping on this, but I would really like to see Insigne get a start. If Germany is going to press high, I'd like to see Insigne drop back deeper and pick the ball up in the midfield and carry it into the final third. Since a lot of the quality youngsters were left at home and Marchisio is hurt, Insigne is the most dynamic player Italy have.

I think he can take advantage and create in those open spaces. I'm just hoping Conte will follow through and do it and not go stupid with someone like Sturaro.

Insigne and Sturaro have different roles. Sturaro is mostly likely starting, considering De Rossi/Motta are both out.

I do somewhat agree, though. I thought he should have started the tournament over Eder but I can't see Conte doing that now. The only other option would be to play Insigne at LM but this means Darmian would have to play on the right and I'd rather have Florenzi there(since Candreva is probably out). I'd also rather have De Sciglio starting at LM over Insigne. They could always put De Sciglio as RM, instead of Darmian, but that's his weaker side, IMO.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Spain could've gotten Bonucci suspended for this match I'd feel a lot better. He is hands down the best Italian with Veratti and Marchisio out.

Now we should do much better against them than Spain or Belgium since we're more skilled and better organized; but we really need an early goal in this one as well.

Hector and Kimmich : That's where Italy might have the edge.

Kimmich is a boss. I'm much less worried about him than I am Kroos-Khedira; unless jogi's clever enough to take Gomez off and play Weigl behind that midfield duo.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Germany hasn't looked stellar. I mean if you wanna say they haven't given upa goal then true but outside of the Poland game I expected more in the efforts.

Eh. Northern Ireland was disappointing; but I expected a 4-2 against the Ukraine and we got the two goal differential in that match. I was expect a loss to Poland yet we avoided that result. And against Slovakia we almost even looked good.

jniklast

Sep 28, 2007
If Spain could've gotten Bonucci suspended for this match I'd feel a lot better. He is hands down the best Italian with Veratti and Marchisio out.

Now we should do much better against them than Spain or Belgium since we're more skilled and better organized; but we really need an early goal in this one as well.

Kimmich is a boss. I'm much less worried about him than I am Kroos-Khedira; unless jogi's clever enough to take Gomez off and play Weigl behind that midfield duo.

I agree about the midfield, I fear there will be lots of situations where both Kroos and Khedira will be high up on the pitch with plenty of opportunity for Italy to counter. But I'm also worried about Kimmich, to me he has not impressed as a defender when under pressure defensively. And especially not at set pieces (see the Slovakia friendly).

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Insigne and Sturaro have different roles. Sturaro is mostly likely starting, considering De Rossi/Motta are both out.

I do somewhat agree, though. I thought he should have started the tournament over Eder but I can't see Conte doing that now. The only other option would be to play Insigne at LM but this means Darmian would have to play on the right and I'd rather have Florenzi there(since Candreva is probably out). I'd also rather have De Sciglio starting at LM over Insigne. They could always put De Sciglio as RM, instead of Darmian, but that's his weaker side, IMO.

Can Eder play wing at all?

He could start a three man front with the central mids dropping deeper and Insigne moving into a CAM role as the game moves along. Then you essentially are running a 5-3-1-2.

I'm prepared to be disappointed, though. I don't even think Sturaro should be on the team, much less starting over a player like Insigne. Against Germany of all teams. I guess we're prepared to watch Insigne come on in the 75' or something. Although the game could be 0-0 by then and maybe he makes a difference at that point, idk.

Like I said in another thread, it seems dumb to criticize Conte's selections based off of how well we've played, but it still seems like there's more that he could do. I don't wanna get complacent at this point.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Eh. Northern Ireland was disappointing; but I expected a 4-2 against the Ukraine and we got the two goal differential in that match. I was expect a loss to Poland yet we avoided that result. And against Slovakia we almost even looked good.

Missed the Slovakia game but I thought they'd score more than two against Ukraine. The last goal was a late insurance goal. Just looked like they were riding the motions. The Poland game I thought could go either way and I was fine with a draw(not that advancing was ever really in doubt, you have to wonder now if losing to Poland might have been a better route ironically) This team isn't nearly as good as the World Cup squad but I wouldn't really freak out about that considering how they are playing on the defensive end anyway. I think they'll be challenging again in 2018.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Hector and Kimmich : That's where Italy might have the edge.

Kimmich doesn't worry me. Hector is just ok, but it won't be at all easy for Italy to exploit him.

No need to change Kroos-Khedira at this point. Honestly I have very little to criticize Jogi for as far as the performance goes (apart from the fact that Podolski and Schürrle have played at all). It's quite different from 2014. Full back problems and controversy have been settled fairly resoundingly, pressing is actually pretty compact and flexible, and the buildup play is great. This campaign has me more far more optimistic than I was in 2014. Of course, that can all fall apart with a couple bad breaks or small mistakes, but I can't criticize Löw for how the team has played so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->