World Cup: QF: Brazil vs. Belgium, 7/6/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Interestingly, the above poster had nothing to say about their own team, Switzerland, being eliminated the other day. Just as they had little to say about Switzerland beyond, 'Don't dare post anything critical, we're ranked sixth in the world by FIFA' when that team was progressing to the knockout stages in its unconvincing way.

Belgium v Brazil was an eventful game, one of the biggest victories in the history of the Belgian national team, and a possible watershed for a hitherto gifted but frustrating unit that plenty of people have long wanted to see do itself justice. (I'd say the Belgians are better off without Nainggolan- when you possess as many ballplayers as they do, a box-to-box midfielder just gets in the way).

Granted, there's no law says you have to be interested in any of the above. But, as I've remarked before, it surprises me how some of Neymar's noisiest critics on this site seem to have very little else to say about the sport they're so annoyed about him sullying.

Reactions: All Might and Evilo

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Oh man, there is soo soo much shit to say about football, so much it is exhausting to even think about how much there is.

But I still hold on to my right to call out a horrible ambassador for the sport like Neymar.

Imo, he is a disgrace to the sport.

And tbh, aftet that FOX Brazil hahahahah tweet when Germany were eliminated, it just makes it even more sweet to see Brazil out.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Interestingly, the above poster had nothing to say about their own team, Switzerland, being eliminated the other day. Just as they had little to say about Switzerland beyond, 'Don't dare post anything critical, we're ranked sixth in the world by FIFA' when that team was progressing to the knockout stages in its unconvincing way.

Belgium v Brazil was an eventful game, one of the biggest victories in the history of the Belgian national team, and a possible watershed for a hitherto gifted but frustrating unit that plenty of people have long wanted to see do itself justice. (I'd say the Belgians are better off without Nainggolan- when you possess as many ballplayers as they do, a box-to-box midfielder just gets in the way).

Granted, there's no law says you have to be interested in any of the above. But, as I've remarked before, it surprises me how some of Neymar's noisiest critics on this site seem to have very little else to say about the sport they're so annoyed about him sullying.

That's because for better or worse Neymar's antics are big news around the globe and thus visible enough to get the attention of people who normally may not care too much about football. Obviously for those who dismiss the sport because it's "full of flopping" - as many still do in North America and other areas where other sports are more popular - Neymar seems to confirm their prejudices.

It's tempting for some fans to defend Neymar just to be contrarian against that and to indicate how they're 'real fans', but that would be a mistake as well. Personally, in 30+ years of watching this sport, I've never seen a guy quite like Neymar, and I don't mean in terms of talent. As talented as he is, he's not in the top 10 of footballers I've seen. And while he can be amusing, I don't like the direction that's taking the sport in and the role model he is for kids out there. As such I am glad that there is blowback, and it will be less cool for kids to be 'like Neymar' going forward.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
It's tempting for some fans to defend Neymar just to be contrarian against that and to indicate how they're 'real fans', but that would be a mistake as well. Personally, in 30+ years of watching this sport, I've never seen a guy quite like Neymar, and I don't mean in terms of talent. As talented as he is, he's not in the top 10 of footballers I've seen. And while he can be amusing, I don't like the direction that's taking the sport in and the role model he is for kids out there. As such I am glad that there is blowback, and it will be less cool for kids to be 'like Neymar' going forward.

Kids don't have to copy people they see on the telly. (Neither do adults, for that matter, even though a lot of them don't seem to understand the fact).

I don't find Neymar likeable, and he wouldn't come anywhere near my top 10. Ironically, I think one of the more regrettable points about the fuss his antics generate is that it's overshadowed the legitimate question marks over his performances in this tournament. I don't believe the Brazilian team was well built to get the best out of him (more Firmino would surely have helped on that score), and against the Swiss he took a fair few kickings. But I perceived some immaturity in his decision-making that ill-befits a player in his mid twenties.

I remember Neymar as being less prone to dive in the 2014 World Cup. Perhaps that's a false memory. But if not, it makes me wonder what's caused him to up the dramatics. And maybe a feeling that opponents get away with a lot against him is a factor in that.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Oh man, there is soo soo much **** to say about football, so much it is exhausting to even think about how much there is.

But I still hold on to my right to call out a horrible ambassador for the sport like Neymar.

Imo, he is a disgrace to the sport.

And tbh, aftet that FOX Brazil hahahahah tweet when Germany were eliminated, it just makes it even more sweet to see Brazil out.

The existence of your post proves no one is stopping you.

But you also have a right to enthuse about the game- which you've exercised, not least when harking back to greats of Danish football.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
I remember Neymar as being less prone to dive in the 2014 World Cup. Perhaps that's a false memory. But if not, it makes me wonder what's caused him to up the dramatics. And maybe a feeling that opponents get away with a lot against him is a factor in that.
A friend of mine who follows Ligue 1 told me he's exactly the same over there for what it's worth.

As far as his performance, he clearly was not physically at his best. His deadly acceleration was nowhere to be seen.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

That's why I defend him. To my eye, his antics have clearly increased since Zuniga almost ended his career...which I can sympathize with.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
I'm trying to find an animated gif that I saw a while back on HFB. Its a soccer fan, probably Brasil, and he goes just nuts with so much passion in his face. Anyone know what I am talking about?

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
Are you guys serious with the Hulk and Oscar stuff? Try watching football more than once in four years.

I was riffing off that other guys post. I know where he is. Your reply though shows an elitist soccer fan type mindset.

People who dont always watch soccer because north americans only really get to watch sub par leagues such as the MLS might have questions and we were led to believe 4 years ago that those guys were some of the top guys, so wondering how much might have changed in as little as 4 years can lead one to questions such as those.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I was riffing off that other guys post. I know where he is. Your reply though shows an elitist soccer fan type mindset.

People who dont always watch soccer because north americans only really get to watch sub par leagues such as the MLS might have questions and we were led to believe 4 years ago that those guys were some of the top guys, so wondering how much might have changed in as little as 4 years can lead one to questions such as those.

It's not an elitist mindset to wonder why people are making dumb posts.

There's also plenty of leagues for North Americans to watch as well so I'm confused by that, they're all on television.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
It's not an elitist mindset to wonder why people are making dumb posts.

There's also plenty of leagues for North Americans to watch as well so I'm confused by that, they're all on television.

True. I just think more people dont watch because they would enjoy rooting for a local squad but over here we have that, just in a lesser quality league. And I think that keeps people from following the activity of numerous soccer leagues on a day to day basis.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Just wanna say that Fernandinho is a POS, dude been screwing up since 2014. Anyway, Casemiro was a big loss and it showed. We didn't play bad, just couldn't convert on our chances and defensively gave too much space to de Bruyne and Hazard took full advantage of Fagner (Tite should've called Rafinha, but he just can't ignore his pals). Belgium played very well, and Lukaku is a beast.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Just wanna say that Fernandinho is a POS, dude been screwing up since 2014. Anyway, Casemiro was a big loss and it showed. We didn't play bad, just couldn't convert on our chances and defensively gave too much space to de Bruyne and Hazard took full advantage of Fagner (Tite should've called Rafinha, but he just can't ignore his pals). Belgium played very well, and Lukaku is a beast.
Better luck in 4 years brother.

Reactions: John Pedro and cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->