World Cup: QF: Brazil vs. Belgium, 7/6/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I've gathered that that's your position no matter what...but players dive & embelish because of a real problem and if they stopped diving that problem wouldn't just go away. The only thing that eliminating diving without addressing the underlying problem would change would be that we'd lose a few more great players to unpunished fouls that ruined careers :dunno:

And personally, I'd rather football not go back in that direction...even if van Basten was a ****
No, no, no. You misunderstood me completely. I was joking. Yes, there is an underlying problem. And a decision from above has finally allowed the refs to use modern technology.

Reactions: cgf

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Belgium played like a team with the pressure off them.

Against Japan, they had EVERYTHING to lose.

Against Brazil, the opponent rarely if ever has everything to lose.

Reactions: mmvvpp

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
After the good first half, Belgium rode their luck mightily in the second. I couldn't understand why Martinez took so long to make a change, after clearly things weren't working any more in the midfield. You can have two guys doing minimal defending (Hazard and Lukaku), but not three. De Bruyne just walked/jogged around in the 2nd half waiting for counter attacks, with others doing the defending. Glad that de Bruyne at least acknowledged in his post-game interview those who did defend all game through. The formation was much better after Lukaku game off and Hazard started to all the runs with the ball.

Great game by Courtois, Hazard was impressive as well.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Given the Belgian national team's plethora of Premier League connections I suppose we should expect the English media to cheerlead for them. I'm not quite as eager to jump on the pro-Martinez bandwagon as some of my compatriots, though. I felt he allowed the game to drift away from his team in the second half, and even though they survived in the end they suffered more than I think they needed to. (And I see that in the time it took me to type as much, gary69 beat me to more or less the same punch, the swine).

Fellaini and Witsel did their jobs well defending a lead, but up until Own Goal worked his magic they looked an ungainly midfield pair. Likewise, I'm unconvinced by Chadli, hard though he worked.

It was exciting stuff, though. The start was pretty positive, but the early goal meant there was no possibility for caution to take over.

I agree with those who say Firmino should have started for Brazil and that they missed Casemiro badly. Equally as important, surely, is their habitual lack of a genuine number eight. Until they sort out that position, they'll always tend to be slightly short of balance. The impact of 1994 on their mentality of team building weighs as heavy as 1966 did for England.

Reactions: gary69

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Everyone at Fox Sports was ready to hand Brazil a trophy after beating Mexico... Not shocked at all at this result.

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
Belgium team is better than Brazil in this world cup They convert their opportunities in to goal This team is the golden generation of Belgium

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Fernandinho had the worst game of his career.

Courtois was incredible.

Brasil deserved a penalty on Jesus (it was also very obvious for me)

And Brasil misfired so many great chances.

Belgium was clutch but I was not impressed and certainly not ready to say they were the best team.

Reactions: Fvital92

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Gabriel Jesus the worst Brazil #9 in World Cup history?

Also Neymar should have been booked early for his cheating. A total disgrace this guy.

Belgium well deserved.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
At the end of the day, both teams scored a great goal but one team had a fortunate bounce to score another.

Brazil was far too wasteful, especially in the first 10 minutes of the game. That's just the way it goes sometimes.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Along with the obvious ones also pretty underwhelming guys have worn the 9 to be fair, even in their previous winning squad it was Zinho.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
VAR isn’t going to correct everything, but it will certainly help. It will get more refined. And, yes, there is a general problem, and Neymar is a great example of how glaring it is.

Fair enough. I guess i don't think it is glaring enough to get worked up about and I still think Neymar has an unfair reputation. But lets agree to disagree at this point :p

Reactions: KJS14 and Firsov99

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Serginho 1982 was horrendous even though he managed to score two goals. With the service he was getting, he should have scored plenty more, but the ball and attacks died on his feet regularly.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Meunier being suspended is quite a loss for Belgium. Probably Chadli plays as RWB (like he did against England), and then Vermaelen comes in as a CB.

Unless they change the formation again and Mertens comes back in. It's possible, since if France plays like they have so far, there's more room in the midfield and both Fellaini and Witsel starting might not be necessary. If Matuidi is brought back to shadow Hazard like he did Messi, then Mertens needs to be in as well, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad