World Cup: QF: Brazil vs. Belgium, 7/6/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Not sure if I'd go that far. While the comeback was indeed phenomenal, it's Brazil's own fault they couldn't get the equalizer late. They had all the momentum after that first goal, the pitch was tilted towards the Belgium end but zero finish from the Brazilians. Cost them in the end.

Yeah, the players were crapping their pants in the last 30 minutes of the match. Courtois is the sole reason they're going through.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Of course Brazil will dominate that second half. Impossible to say based on that game that Brazil are better. If Brazil had gone in to the second half 2-0 up it would hardly have looked the same. Quite obvious really.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
But you are completely set against Neymar. You feed the pre-conceded idea that he is a notorious diver at all times. It's a label he has and will likely never escape. Sure some of it is warranted but even if it is, Neymar does not = all of soccer
Ronaldu was a pathetic diver when he was younger as well. But he has cleaned up his game considerably. I am hoping that Neymar will do the same thing. I don’t want young kids to watch him roll a dozen times after a tackle.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
If this game had played out the same way vs France, where Belgium was forced to defend for so long, the French will prove to be far more clinical.

It might’ve been fleeting, but I feel like I’ve seen longer, more concerted efforts from the French side and think they’ll go on to the final.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Not sure if I'd go that far. While the comeback was indeed phenomenal, it's Brazil's own fault they couldn't get the equalizer late. They had all the momentum after that first goal, the pitch was tilted towards the Belgium end but zero finish from the Brazilians. Cost them in the end.
Inability to score is the Brazil’s problem not Belgium’s. Belgium is in the semis for first time since 1986. It’s a great achievement for them.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Saw some more replays, and the ball wasn't yet out of play on that foul - so technically, should have been a pen, indeed. Was never going to get it, so I sorta still feel it's right this way, but whatever.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The Brazil attacking tactics in the last half hour are bizarre to me. I say it all the time, when you are losing a match then you can’t be cutting back, or pulling the ball back/inside, every time you are in the wing and being shown down the line. The defence are quite content to have the game played in front of them.

Neymar and Marcelo are the only ones who were varying their play regularly.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Inability to score is the Brazil’s problem not Belgium’s. Belgium is in the semis for first time since 1986. It’s a great achievement for them.

They missed some flagrant chances but that will happen to all teams. Courtois saved a couple of sure goals, particularly the last one from Neymar. Looked like it was coming down and into the net to me. :huh:

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I am not changing the debate. For me diving is a bigger issue in soccer.

The diving issue is a reaction to the refereeing issue, so by focusing on it rather than the cause of it, you are changing the discussion. Let's let VAR erase shitty refereeing mistakes, then it will be easy to erase diving & embellishment.

Reactions: robertmac43

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
They missed some flagrant chances but that will happen to all teams. Courtois saved a couple of sure goals, particularly the last one from Neymar. Looked like it was coming down and into the net to me. :huh:
Courtois had a phenomenal game. Sometimes goalies have to bail teams out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->