World Cup: QF: Brazil vs. Belgium, 7/6/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
It's incredible that Brazil is about to play a 1/4 final of a WC with a #9 who has not scored once in the tournament. Is he getting shredded by the media over there?

For what I have read, he is not getting shredded quite yet because his work rate seems vital to Tite's system and to compensate for Neymar and Coutinho's shortcomings. Same with Willian. However Firmino is getting more and more praise and if Jesus fails to contribute significantly and Brazil go through, Tite will probably switch

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
For what I have read, he is not getting shredded quite yet because his work rate seems vital to Tite's system and to compensate for Neymar and Coutinho's shortcomings. Same with Willian. However Firmino is getting more and more praise and if Jesus fails to contribute significantly and Brazil go through, Tite will probably switch
Which is interesting given the first thing people talk about when referencing Firmino is his workrate and intelligence (well, aside from his teeth). I just can't see why Jesus continues to start despite Firmino being better in basically every possible way.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
On paper this is a hell of a match up. But I just don't see how Belgium can take down this Brazil team. I would be gladly surprised if Belgium wins.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Danilo is out for the tourney so Hazard vs Fagner is a big advantage. Very little drop off from Casemiro to Fernandinho.

Be interesting to see if Tite tries Firmino to start but he may not want to mess with things.

Belgium appear to be at full strength but will have decisions to make after getting outplayed by Japan until Chadli and Fellaini came on for Mertens and Carrasco...Fellaini is generally regarded as an "option" player best suited to changing the game as a sub....

I have the urge to say something derogatory about Courtois but i'm a Chelsea fan and i'll leave it be...

I don't have faith in Belgium to win when it counts so I'll take Brazil...yeah may have just cursed the Brazilians with that..

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Danilo is out for the tourney so Hazard vs Fagner is a big advantage. Very little drop off from Casemiro to Fernandinho.

Be interesting to see if Tite tries Firmino to start but he may not want to mess with things.

Belgium appear to be at full strength but will have decisions to make after getting outplayed by Japan until Chadli and Fellaini came on for Mertens and Carrasco...Fellaini is generally regarded as an "option" player best suited to changing the game as a sub....

I have the urge to say something derogatory about Courtois but i'm a Chelsea fan and i'll leave it be...

I don't have faith in Belgium to win when it counts so I'll take Brazil...yeah may have just cursed the Brazilians with that..

Mertens should stay in but Carrasco can go

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I'm surprised Belgium is winning this poll. On paper they look incredible. But on the pitch? They're good at pummeling lesser sides, but when have they ever won against a team of Brazil's calibre?

Brazil under the current coach managed to defeat:
Uruguay, Colombia, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay, Bolivia, Venezuela; Germany, Croatia, Serbia, Russia, Austria; Mexico, Costa Rica; Japan, Australia.

Belgium under the current coach managed to defeat:
England* (B team vs B team), Bosnia, Czechia, Greece, Estonia, Cyprus, Gibraltar; Egypt, Tunesia; Costa Rica, Panama; Japan, Saudi Arabia.

Brazil also have some draws and defeats against South American sides on their record, but at least they have demonstrated the ability to defeat quality opponents. Belgium on the other hand have not demonstrated that ability in the games they had under Martínez against Spain, Portugal and Mexico (plus Russia and the Netherlands). Of course they can win nevertheless, but what makes the majority of voters here assume they really will? They still look a bit like an unproven commodity to me.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Brazil is by far the more balanced team. As others have pointed out the flanks don’t work for Belgium, but they don’t really have that many alternatives.

I would go super defensive if I were Martínez. Dembele for Mertens. Flood the central midfield. That should be enough for Mounier to cope defensively. Carassco I’m not sure. Martinez is too much of an idealist to do that though.

Brazil go through 9 out of 10 times for me. Unless Martínez comes up with something clever.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'm surprised Belgium is winning this poll. On paper they look incredible. But on the pitch? They're good at pummeling lesser sides, but when have they ever won against a team of Brazil's calibre?

Brazil under the current coach managed to defeat:
Uruguay, Colombia, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay, Bolivia, Venezuela; Germany, Croatia, Serbia, Russia, Austria; Mexico, Costa Rica; Japan, Australia.

Belgium under the current coach managed to defeat:
England* (B team vs B team), Bosnia, Czechia, Greece, Estonia, Cyprus, Gibraltar; Egypt, Tunesia; Costa Rica, Panama; Japan, Saudi Arabia.

Brazil also have some draws and defeats against South American sides on their record, but at least they have demonstrated the ability to defeat quality opponents. Belgium on the other hand have not demonstrated that ability in the games they had under Martínez against Spain, Portugal and Mexico (plus Russia and the Netherlands). Of course they can win nevertheless, but what makes the majority of voters here assume they really will? They still look a bit like an unproven commodity to me.

Hey, there's a first time for everything. :D

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
This is THE game for Belgium. Time to prove they're not just all potential. They have the team to be a powerhouse for the next 4-6 years, but now's the time to step up. They win here, and the pressure goes down. Even if they lose to France in the SF, they'll have proved they can beat any team on a good day.

Then again, I think I'd rather have France play Brazil in the SF, but that's just a gut feeling based on past confrontations.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I don't know, I figured he would bang a hat trick against Japan and do his usual disappearing act against big teams afterwards. But to see him miss sitters against Japan just threw me off completely.:laugh:
And that with that Japanese goalie...
It was his chance. That said, I wanted Japan to win and it was a fantastic match, not least because of Japan.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
While I don't really believe in momentum carrying through game to game, I'm wondering if Belgium can take advantage of their big time second life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad