Q -- How to catch Flyers games on DirecTV

Capt Reynolds

Aug 30, 2002
Hey there. Does anyone know how to get Flyers games on DirecTV if you live in the Philly area? I have center ice but all Flyers games end up getting blocked out, and yet there does not seem to be any local channel that I can even subscribe to to see them. So, are you basically just screwed if you have DirecTV and cannot watch ANY Flyers games? That seems just insane, as usually they block out games to force you to watch the local feed, but if there is no local feed to watch the blackout makes no sense.

Any help is appreciated!

Kurri17

Aug 13, 2005
Bryn Mawr, PA
You're going to need Comcast cable. Almost all of their games are broadcast on Comcast Sports Network, and Comcast does not allow Directv to air that channel.

Capt Reynolds

Aug 30, 2002
You're going to need Comcast cable. Almost all of their games are broadcast on Comcast Sports Network, and Comcast does not allow Directv to air that channel.

Dammit, I was hoping you were not going to say that. ;) Thanks for the guidance though.

PFLYERPHAN

Jan 14, 2008
Glassboro, NJ
In the Philadelphia region, Comcast uses the FCC's "terrestrial loophole" to avoid negotiations with satellite television services for delivery of Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia, which is transmitted via a microwave broadcasting system instead of satellite (as its predecessor, PRISM, was a local-only service). This essentially denies competition in the Philadelphia market for games of the Philadelphia Phillies (baseball), Philadelphia 76ers (basketball), and Philadelphia Flyers (hockey). Comcast does, however, supply Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia programming to Verizon for their competing FiOS video service, even though FiOS is not available to residents of the city of Philadelphia.[

I did the same thing at the beginning of last seasn....ordered DISH and NHL Center Ice, figuring I would just watch the games on the NHL CI channels. Well, surprise when I found out that they were blacked out! So what did I do.....I broke down and go Comast digital on 1 tv for the season, until yesterday when I had Verizon FiOS installed. So now I can get SportsNet but at this point cannot get Center Ice (they are working on that from what I understand, it has to do with contracts and pricing, etc.!). Can't seem to win! I'm sure once inDemand sees the market they'll have, those sports packages will be available.

I agree with the blackouts problem. It makes no sense anymore since the whole purpose of blackout way back in the day, was a ticket sale issue, which isn't a problem anymore. Now it has to do with NHL rules and distances. http://www.tsq.com/alerts%5CNHL%20Center%20Ice%20Blackouts%202006%202007.pdf

I'll just suffer until they come up with a solution. At least I can watch the Flyers!

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
NHL LOSES KEY DECISION IN TV RIGHTS LAWSUIT
:nod:

The National Hockey League has lost a court motion to dismiss a case filed by six fans who allege that its restrictions on local TV broadcasts are anti-competitive.

The case is expected to proceed to trial early in 2015. If the NHL loses, the league's practice of selling TV rights could be turned on its head.

Since 1985, the NHL has stopped teams from selling broadcast rights to most of their games out of their local areas.

If this latest litigation is successful, it's possible that popular teams like the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks could begin selling their broadcast rights throughout the United States.

In a lawsuit filed in New York two years ago, a group of disgruntled fans claimed that the restrictions on broadcasting were inappropriately driving up the price of sports cable television packages.

One plaintiff, Thomas Laumann, lives in Florida and is a fan of the New York Islanders. Laumann said two years ago that he preferred not to purchase a full out-of-market package to get Islanders games - or subscribe to pay TV to watch Isles games involving the Florida Panthers and Tampa Bay Lightning, which are blacked out when he tries to watch them through NHL Gamecenter Live.

The lawsuit also attacks the NHL's tactic of charging customers $179.80 for its full-season offering of games available on cable and satellite providers. Again, both of those packages, known as NHL Center Ice, black out in-market games.

The NHL subsequently filed a motion to dismiss the case and a judge ruled this week against that motion. The ruling was unsealed on Friday.

http://www.tsn.ca/story/?id=459001

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I did the same thing at the beginning of last seasn....ordered DISH and NHL Center Ice, figuring I would just watch the games on the NHL CI channels. Well, surprise when I found out that they were blacked out! So what did I do.....I broke down and go Comast digital on 1 tv for the season, until yesterday when I had Verizon FiOS installed. So now I can get SportsNet but at this point cannot get Center Ice (they are working on that from what I understand, it has to do with contracts and pricing, etc.!). Can't seem to win! I'm sure once inDemand sees the market they'll have, those sports packages will be available.

I agree with the blackouts problem. It makes no sense anymore since the whole purpose of blackout way back in the day, was a ticket sale issue, which isn't a problem anymore. Now it has to do with NHL rules and distances. http://www.tsq.com/alerts%5CNHL%20Center%20Ice%20Blackouts%202006%202007.pdf

I'll just suffer until they come up with a solution. At least I can watch the Flyers!

You can get GameCenter Live (the online package) and watch it on your TV with an Apple TV ($99 from Apple). All games in HD and you can get the Flyers broadcast, which I don't think is always the case with CI.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Let's not get too excited just yet. It looks to me is that all I'm reading here is that the case is going to trial. The plaintiffs can still lose.

C'mon man...we're talking about a "group of disgruntled fans" ...tons of clout to challenge the NHL and cable duopoly :sarcasm:

of course it could expand

Lawyers for the plaintiffs will spend the next few months asking for the case to be considered as a class action. It's unclear how many people might be involved in the case.

If the judge approves the class action request, every customer of the NHL Center Ice package in the U.S. would be included as a plaintiff. The case does not involve or affect broadcast rights within Canada.

sallahoose

May 13, 2014
If you have a smartphone, buy and download NHL gamecenter. I think I remember it was around 149.99. I dont know if there was an error or what but I could watch flyers games although it was blocked out on direct tv and the center ice package. No matter where I was located...whether location on my phone was on or off. The app gave me some errors and stuff when I was trying to watch the games, and it was delayed, but I watched 9 out of 10 flyers games on there...home or away. I believe I could not watch the NBC sports games tho...you have to have another app for that. All of the other teams games came thru perfectly.

Last edited:

Stizz09

Jul 13, 2012
agreed.. id sign a class action in a heartbeat.

all i can say is thxgod for hockeystreams.com

ive heard really really good things about HockeyStreams.com in the past. I was considering going this direction this upcoming season (BTW Disgruntled Flyers Fan with DirecTV living in S. Jersey and engaged to a Rangers fan, who believe it or not can see ALL of her games broadcast on MSG that comes with our package).

Anyway I remember reading you could hook up HockeyStreams on your game consol (PS3, and Xbox 360) I currently have a next gen PS4 and was wondering if the same technique would apply on next gen systems?

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
ive heard really really good things about HockeyStreams.com in the past. I was considering going this direction this upcoming season (BTW Disgruntled Flyers Fan with DirecTV living in S. Jersey and engaged to a Rangers fan, who believe it or not can see ALL of her games broadcast on MSG that comes with our package).

Anyway I remember reading you could hook up HockeyStreams on your game consol (PS3, and Xbox 360) I currently have a next gen PS4 and was wondering if the same technique would apply on next gen systems?

not sure but i wouldnt be surrpized, hell i can watch my hockeystreams account on my smart phone... and its actualy really good quality..

Stizz09

Jul 13, 2012
not sure but i wouldnt be surrpized, hell i can watch my hockeystreams account on my smart phone... and its actualy really good quality..

yeah they have instructions on how to hook up the service to your consol on the hockeystreams website. just wanted to know for sure before I put the money out for it.... maybe i'll just try to email hockeysteams.com staff first. ive done some research and from what ive read its miles ahead of GCL, and you get all kinds of extras including AHL, and Canadian Jrs., and international leagues.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
There were more and more CSN-PHI feeds appearing on Directv CI last season. In years past you were lucky to get 1 all year. Seems like they loosening up the chains on this one and eventually will have all home broadcasts. There were about 8-10 last season, maybe more. I'm in the NY area btw.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
There were more and more CSN-PHI feeds appearing on Directv CI last season. In years past you were lucky to get 1 all year. Seems like they loosening up the chains on this one and eventually will have all home broadcasts. There were about 8-10 last season, maybe more. I'm in the NY area btw.

I got just about 50/50, and I think only had to watch one feed all year where HD wasn't available. As much as people complain about CI, I thought it was well worth the $180.00.

Edit: That was on Fios though, not sure if that makes a difference.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I got just about 50/50, and I think only had to watch one feed all year where HD wasn't available. As much as people complain about CI, I thought it was well worth the $180.00.

Edit: That was on Fios though, not sure if that makes a difference.

Yes, each carrier will carry different feeds based on the relationship with the original content provider, (Comcast).

Most of the complaining about Center Ice packages revolve around 2 things, 1) consumers not understanding local market black outs (just have to watch your local team on the local channel) and general ignorance about the package and the way TV broadcasting works in general.

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
yeah they have instructions on how to hook up the service to your consol on the hockeystreams website. just wanted to know for sure before I put the money out for it.... maybe i'll just try to email hockeysteams.com staff first. ive done some research and from what ive read its miles ahead of GCL, and you get all kinds of extras including AHL, and Canadian Jrs., and international leagues.

Been subbing to hockeystreams for years now - and they're doing an excellent job, and yes, I'd consider their technology (60 FPS streams) and all the extras to be MILES ahead of where GCL is.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas

You are correct - I was surprised to see so many last season. Some announcers I just can't stand sometimes. So, I was happy to see those feeds when they were on Direct TV

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
You can get GameCenter Live (the online package) and watch it on your TV with an Apple TV ($99 from Apple). All games in HD and you can get the Flyers broadcast, which I don't think is always the case with CI.

CI has both broadcasts(home and away) as of last year, its great that I can listen to the Flyers broadcast crew for all the games now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00