Q fans - Brassard and Sheppard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Looking forward to hearing from Q fans like LaLaLaprise, Chootoi and others on who they think will be the better pro player, Derick Brassard or James Sheppard. In other threads, I have seen some of the Q fans compare Brassard (putting up over two points a game) to Gagne and Tanguay. James Sheppard certainly has pro size and a physical game to go along with it. Sheppard has 81 points in 63 games. Maybe you guys can explain if the points are skewed based on the teams they play with. Derick Brassard is seven months older than James Sheppard, correct?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sheppard is the safer pick but Brassard has more upside.

I compare Brassard more to Tanguay than Gagne. Brassard has to play on the top 2 lines though if he will make the NHL. His upside is a 90 point 1st line centermen.

Sheppard doesnt have that type of upside but his offensive game seems to be underrated on these boards. He has 80 pts in the Q, which puts him in the top 25 as a 17 year old...not exactly just a big guy.

Hard to say who id pick but ive watched Sheppard since Midget hockey so im a bit bias :)

And yes Brassard is older by 7 months, and a year in terms of junior hockey.

Brassard - sept 87
Sheppard - april 88

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Dan said:
Looking forward to hearing from Q fans like LaLaLaprise, Chootoi and others on who they think will be the better pro player, Derick Brassard or James Sheppard. In other threads, I have seen some of the Q fans compare Brassard (putting up over two points a game) to Gagne and Tanguay. James Sheppard certainly has pro size and a physical game to go along with it. Sheppard has 81 points in 63 games. Maybe you guys can explain if the points are skewed based on the teams they play with. Derick Brassard is seven months older than James Sheppard, correct?
I have seen Sheppard 4 or 5 times but i have only seen Brassard once (he did score 4 goals the game i saw) so i cant really say to much about him.

I for one am a Sheppard fan and think he is a very good pick for the 8-12 range. As u said he has size and uses it very well (could use a nasty streak), he has soft hands and very good top end speed although his acceleration needs imrovement. For me the biggest question for Sheppard is will his fininshing ability transfer to the NHL as he isnt a great finisher in Junior but if he works on his release it should improve. To me with his size and speed he should at least be a 3rd or 4th line guy and if he improves on his couple weaknesses could be a top 6 power forward.

As for Brassard, as i said i have only seen him once but i think in the NNHL he is a very attractive pick with his speed and skill, but he is a top 6 or nothing type player so being in the right situation will be important for him, at the same time with his skill level the upside is high.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
vanwychen27 said:
I have seen Sheppard 4 or 5 times but i have only seen Brassard once (he did score 4 goals the game i saw) so i cant really say to much about him.

I for one am a Sheppard fan and think he is a very good pick for the 8-12 range. As u said he has size and uses it very well (could use a nasty streak), he has soft hands and very good top end speed although his acceleration needs imrovement. For me the biggest question for Sheppard is will his fininshing ability transfer to the NHL as he isnt a great finisher in Junior but if he works on his release it should improve. To me with his size and speed he should at least be a 3rd or 4th line guy and if he improves on his couple weaknesses could be a top 6 power forward.

As for Brassard, as i said i have only seen him once but i think in the NNHL he is a very attractive pick with his speed and skill, but he is a top 6 or nothing type player so being in the right situation will be important for him, at the same time with his skill level the upside is high.

30 goals isnt bad for a guy who cant finish :)

I agree with all of your post except for his lack of finishing skills.

I just feel that a lot of people lump Sheppard into the "grinder" mold because he is big. His offensive game is underrated.

At the same age Brassard had less points in the Q.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
LaLaLaprise said:
30 goals isnt bad for a guy who cant finish :)

I agree with all of your post except for his lack of finishing skills.

I just feel that a lot of people lump Sheppard into the "grinder" mold because he is big. His offensive game is underrated.

At the same age Brassard had less points in the Q.
I see what ur saying, but by no means do i think he isnt an offensive player, i think he has great hands and is a very good passer but IMO his finishing skills are not top notch, that said he is young and if hes willing to put the work in his shot will improve but i dont see him ever putting up huge goal number in the NHL even if he reaches his ful potential. But like i said i really like Sheppard and think his potential is a good second line winger or complementary top line winger scoring something like 25-30 goals 60+pts in his prime.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sheppard is one of the smartest young players out there. It just seems like he sees the game. I've seen clips of him and his vision is outstanding.

Transported Upstater

I'm a big Sheppard fan. Should Toronto pick around #11 or so, I would love to see Sheppard go at that spot.

I haven't seen enough of Brassard to make an objective estimation of him, but I would take him in the early/mid teens at this point.

Transported Upstater

Jon Prescription said:
Sheppard is one of the smartest young players out there. It just seems like he sees the game. I've seen clips of him and his vision is outstanding.

Definitely.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
komisakick *** said:
Do Sheppard is Quebecois or he come from an Atlantique province??

Brassard remind you of Tanguay :eek:
I wish the Habs grab him to play with Latendresse

Sheppard is from Sackville, NS, 10 minutes outside Halifax.

And yes Brassard reminds me of Tanguay A LOT!! Very fast player, they are the same size, both shoot left, both are late birthdays, both have great vision and both have good 1 on 1 moves and can finish off the plays.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Rahan said:
Would you compare Sheppart to Chris Higgins?
i wouldnt but they have some similar qualities, both are good on the boards and very smart players, but while both play physically Sheppard is bigger and more then that is extremely strong. Also Higgins is a better skater Sheppard has good top speed but needs to work on his acceleration. Higgins uses his quikness to provide offense espeically with the puck while Sheppard uses strength and positioning to protect the puck like a Sundin or Thorton (although not as big or strong).

I think there scoring potential is similar also but they will get it different ways.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
komisakick *** said:
Can we also compare Brassard to Brière or Bouchard???

Not really. I guess more so Briere but he is nothing like Bouchard.

He is explosive like Briere but i think he is a better passer where as Briere a better finisher. PMB isnt really explosive, he just has great hockey sense and vision.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
do you think brassard is a better prospect coming out of his draft yr then bouchard?

Bouchard took a few years (mainly due to his size, came into the nhl at 155lbs) but he's proving he has what it takes now and has top line upside.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Chrisd said:
do you think brassard is a better prospect coming out of his draft yr then bouchard?

Bouchard took a few years (mainly due to his size, came into the nhl at 155lbs) but he's proving he has what it takes now and has top line upside.

Bouchard was better and also a year younger. Not to say Brassard isnt a great player and prospect but PMB was just on another level.

Brassard could turn into the better pro because he is bigger and a much better skater but we wont know for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad