OT: Q&A with Joey Mac @ BSJ

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/2017/09/18/live-qa-joey-mac-bruins-7-p-m/

Some interesting feedback from Joey Mac:

On Subban:
He’s not an NHL goalie. He acts like he’s been in the league for 10 years. I figured he would have changed his attitude by now but that hasn’t been the case. He needs to be his own man. He needs to work at his craft. He needs to be tireless and I don’t see it.

On Spooner:
I can’t see a scenario where Spooner lasts the season on this roster. I’m not even sure he makes the opening-night roster. Other teams are looking for a third-line center and I believe both the Bruins and Spooner would be ok with parting ways at this point. It sends a clear message that he’s playing in this first preseason game tonight in Quebec.

Thanks for the kind words, lawlor. I agree with you that the organization is foaming at the mouth to see what these young players can do, so that means Spooner could be on the outside looking in. He said something after today’s practice that caught my attention: He said the practices have been really hard, which is strange to hear from a pro athlete. I just think the team will pull off a trade at some point soon.

On Studnicka:
What up, ace. I’m with you. This kid has been so impressive. Even though he looks like he should be playing peewee hockey, he’s opened a lot of eyes. He has great hockey sense and he’s a big kid who will eventually become stronger and faster. I love the kid’s confidence. He believes he belongs in the NHL right now in a humble way. Keep an eye on him.
Remember what Bergeron did as an 18-year-old? I’m not saying Studnicka is on that path but he’s not too far off. Let’s see how he does in the preseason games.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
not sure I`ve ever heard of this journalist but I don`t read the Boston Sports Journal

Interesting comments re; Subban

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
This guy is good but no need to pay for content when there is so much comparable or superior no cost stuff.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This guy is good but no need to pay for content when there is so much comparable or superior no cost stuff.

I don`t pay for content either but I`m an admitted cheap SOB:laugh:

Can you or someone else fill me in on his background? Is he someone who`s well known around the league as a journalist covering the game etc...thx

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Can you or someone else fill me in on his background? Is he someone who`s well known around the league as a journalist covering the game etc...thx

JOE MCDONALD

JOE McDONALD, was born in Providence, R.I., raised in Cranston and professionally groomed in Boston. He’s the senior hockey writer/columnist and will cover the Bruins and Red Sox for BostonSportsJournal.com.

Education: Joe graduated from Cranston High School East, where he captained the hockey and baseball teams. He then made the decision to attend junior college at the Community College of Rhode Island because he had no idea what he wanted to do with his life. Joe played for both nationally ranked hockey and baseball programs. That included an appearance in the 1992 NJCAA World Series in Grand Junction, Colorado. After two years in JUCO, he took a brief hiatus from school before transferring to Roger Williams University, where he studied communications and journalism under legendary professor, Edward J. Delaney. At the time, Joe was balancing school with a job at the Providence Journal.

Career: His real education came during his 18 years at the nation’s oldest daily newspaper, the Providence Journal. He started his career in circulation in 1992. After three years of learning about distribution, Joe was promoted to the sports department as an editorial assistant in 1995. Finally, in 2001 he became a sports writer, covering the Bruins, Red Sox, Patriots, PawSox and P-Bruins. In 2010, he was hired by ESPNBoston.com to cover the Bruins and Red Sox. Joe became a national hockey writer for ESPN.com in 2014. He became Mr. Mom between April 26 and Aug. 18, 2017.

During his career: Joe became an award-winning writer. He covered Sox’ three World Series titles in 2004, ‘07 and ‘13. Joe has covered four Stanley Cup finals, including the Bruins’ ‘11 championship. He’s an active member of the BBWAA and the PHWA. Joe also has a vote for the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

https://www.bostonsportsjournal.com/author/jmcdonald/

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

Safe to say, Andrew, that Joey Mac is legit. IMO, one of the better B's beat writers. All business/no rumor mongering that I've seen. He's comes across as a pretty upbeat guy regarding the B's so it was interesting to see his criticism of Subban and Spooner amongst others.

Last edited:

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
In the world of click bait (the Pasta saga this summer) paid content just might turn into the go to places for solid informed opinion.

I bit the bullet on both BSJ and The Athletic and have no regrets. It's refreshing to not have to fight through pop up ads every few seconds in order to read an article. And the content/long form reads have been great.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Safe to say, Andrew, that Joey Mac is legit. IMO, one of the better B's beat writers. All business/no rumor mongering that I've seen. He's comes across as a pretty upbeat guy regarding the B's so it was interesting to see his criticism of Subban and Spooner amongst others.

Thx, I had never heard of him before that I can recall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad