OT: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I'll take solace that Russia couldn't win until they got it handed to them in OT. Embarrassing.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well the Olympic dream falls just short for the Cinderella team but if I am in Oiler senior management I have to be looking at that German team and saying "why can't we find a coaching staff who can instill such confidence in players and get so much out of them?"

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
Drug test time.

Sadly for Russia everyone is looking at how great Germany did nobody cares how they did.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Drug test time.

Sadly for Russia everyone is looking at how great Germany did nobody cares how they did.

I hate to sound insensitive, but chances are the russian athletes, while "clean" have been involved in doping in some way prior to this including the previous olympic games. Hard to feel sorry for cheaters, even if it's the culture itself that pushes them to cheat.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

boredem

Jan 22, 2013
I hate to sound insensitive, but chances are the russian athletes, while "clean" have been involved in doping in some way prior to this including the previous olympic games. Hard to feel sorry for cheaters, even if it's the culture itself that pushes them to cheat.
Sorry for the country, not the athletes.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Was a very good Olympics by Canada and only good thing about Germany losing is they would of surpassed Canada for most gold medals at the games which Canada set in 2010 , We're now tied with Norway and Germany at 14.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I want the Germans to win so so bad. I have German heritage so if it's not Canada i want Germany to win
Yeah, so much this for me.

Devastated.

Germany on the very brink of winning gold in a fascinating game and coming of age game for Germany. This could radically change the legitimacy of the sport in Germany along with the superstar Draisaitl. Especially in Cologne area I'm hearing about real passions for the game and much more increased interest.

Some thoughts on the game.

1)German goalie playing too much and showing fatigue. Crouch was lower, he was victimized 3 times and he had PTSD playing the Russians. Basically crapping his pants whereas before in the tourney he had confidence. Russian snipers tend to do that. Take a Ken Dryden and destroy him. They got to the German goalie and its why they lost. he was cheating post seal in case he had to move across and even when there was no pass across. On 2 goals all he had to do was cover the shooter.

2) 4 on 4 format OT. for the love of god I hope the NHL doesn't go this way. It changes the game and outcome. Germany had very little chances to win in that way. They could cover Russia 5 on 5 but with more open ice it was a different game.

3) OT penalty. C'mon, the stick rode up, that's it. The threshold for calls in OT, especially in 4 on 4 need to be aware that once you give that penalty essentially the game is over. I'll repeat the game was over. There was no way Germany was surviving that one with their goalie seeing flashing red lights and with 4 Russian snipers converging on a 3 pk. The Russians almost scored 10secs in and the goal was inevitable.

4)Powerhouse. I mean look at the Russian roster. This team would be among the top NHL clubs. LOADED. The Germans hung all day with a club and got to OT, nearly won, against a team that was blowing out opposition, that would blow out a lot of NHL clubs. Lots for Germany to feel good about and I hope that's what they take from the game.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Just a comment. If Canada played Germany in the WC it wouldn't come down to "the goalie played brilliantly" under any circumstance. Nor should it, or nor should it be used as an excuse.

The reality is shutdown hockey is shutdown hockey. Inferior clubs don't too much mind if its a low scoring defensive oriented game. Its the only one they can win against a superpower.

Plus the vast majority of times a team gets "stoned" by a goalie in hockey its the team not finishing very well and the goalie making stops.

In relatively equally matched play goalies can and do make a difference, often. In a mismatched situation like Latvia vs Canada it shouldn't be the case.

just saying

I'm one of those that felt Canada has been exceedingly good at shutdown hockey in Sidney Crosby/Drew Doughty era Olympics. But they hadn't really dominated the score in several of the knockout games.
You sound like someone who has never played hockey or competitive hockey lol Players and teams get better and as long as the team can skate and play good defense then they will rarely get blown out. And don't give me that crap about not finishing well lol a hot goalie can steal any game and anys sniper. Pretty easy to make those comments when you never played at a high level in hockey . Players are not super human . I liked the Olympics this year much more than the boring hockey in Sochi where Canada dominated in their style of play but it wasn't exciting. Canada's best players would of beaten any other teams best players this year again. But i found this Olympics more entertaining and Canada could of easily of won gold this year. I was hoping Germnay would beat Russia but what a lame call in overtime in a gold medal game.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Germany winning gold could've drastically changed hockey in that country and would've been massive for the game overall. Instead we get some fake OAR Russian team winning gold off a weak call. Brutal.
4 on 3 on the big ice was a goal waiting to happen, that's ridiculously difficult to defend, such a terrible way to lose.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You sound like someone who has never played hockey or competitive hockey lol Players and teams get better and as long as the team can skate and play good defense then they will rarely get blown out. And don't give me that crap about not finishing well lol a hot goalie can steal any game and anys sniper. Pretty easy to make those comments when you never played at a high level in hockey . Players are not super human . I liked the Olympics this year much more than the boring hockey in Sochi where Canada dominated in their style of play but it wasn't exciting. Canada's best players would of beaten any other teams best players this year again. But i found this Olympics more entertaining and Canada could of easily of won gold this year. I was hoping Germnay would beat Russia but what a lame call in overtime in a gold medal game.

Yeah, well "just a comment" is framed as an opinion. you got many as well. This just in, theres different ways to look at things. ;)

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Germany in the QF in the IIHF WHC last year (losing 2-1 against CAN with McKinnon, Duchene, Scheifele etc) and the Olympic final this year. This is good for hockey, I am excited to see the IIHF this year. Drai will probably be playing and I bet Germany will want to show that this was not just a fluke.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Germany winning gold could've drastically changed hockey in that country and would've been massive for the game overall. Instead we get some fake OAR Russian team winning gold off a weak call. Brutal.
4 on 3 on the big ice was a goal waiting to happen, that's ridiculously difficult to defend, such a terrible way to lose.
It really is. Its OT, gold medal on the line, Russian sniper fire, a rattled German goalie in the cage. Game was over soon as they made the call. I know theres going to be responses saying "a call is a call and you have to call everything" but theres reasons to have a threshold on calls in OT because it so often decides results. especially if it results in 3 pk coverage. There was no way Germany was going to survive it as I stated.

So you hand the gold medal on a penalty call. The refs were guilty of being too diligent through this tournament. As in "I'm so clever I spot everything" I hate when officials ego gets in the way of matches. let the players decide the gold medal at least. It was really a brutal call.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
It was beautiful while it lasted. Didn't really expect Germany to advance against our swiss neighbours, boy was I wrong.. Probably the most exciting week in my life when it comes to international hockey, Silver and just 55sec away from Gold is huge. That being said, I doubt this will have any bigger impact on hockey in Germany, though I'd love to be wrong about this one..

Olympic Silver für Deutschland, **** yeah!! :banana:

Reactions: LaGu

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Germany in the QF in the IIHF WHC last year (losing 2-1 against CAN with McKinnon, Duchene, Scheifele etc) and the Olympic final this year. This is good for hockey, I am excited to see the IIHF this year. Drai will probably be playing and I bet Germany will want to show that this was not just a fluke.
Well yes and no. It wasn't a fluke this year getting to the final because they played hard and deserved to be but don't expect this to be a trend . Like i said any team that skates well and plays a good system can be competitive in international hockey and have close games. But Germany had a huge Canadian influence on that team which really helped too. Don't expect it to be a norm having Germany in the medals lol

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
It was beautiful while it lasted. Didn't really expect Germany to advance against our swiss neighbours, boy was I wrong.. Probably the most exciting week in my life when it comes to international hockey, Silver and just 55sec away from Gold is huge. That being said, I doubt this will have any bigger impact on hockey in Germany, though I'd love to be wrong about this one..

Olympic Silver für Deutschland, **** yeah!! :banana:
Miracle on Ice was huge for hockey development in the USA the amount of American players in 1980 were quite low compared to today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad