OT: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I am not elated but the fact that we finished on the podium is some relief. I suppose Gary is upset this morning, he's not exactly pro-Canada.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Germany issues Canadian Travel advisory in an unprecedented step.

Germany issues ‘travel advisory’ after beating Canada in 2018 Winter Olympics hockey

“Travel advisory: Germans in Canada should exercise a high degree of empathy. Be nice, don’t gloat, give hugs, buy rounds of hot chocolate. Just imagine how you would feel if Canada beat us in soccer,” reads the tweet.

ps I'm not giving any of you biatches hugs, I'm saying in advance, just so you all know..;)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I am sorry in no world is allowing 57 shots against shutdown hockey.

Go rewatch that game. It wasn't like they were getting tons of chances and missing the net. The goalie was outstanding and making incredible saves left right and center. A normal performance by that goalie and its 5-8 goals instead of 2. Sometimes goalies just have those kinds of games. Latvia was absolutely dominated.
Drivesaitl was right it was shut down hockey. What I remember most from that game was how the commentators explained, for the first time in that tournament, was how Latvia and the weaker teams were surviving. Because the games were being played on the large ice, the Latvians were taking all five of their defenders and collapsing them towards their own goal. Basically you had a goaltender and five skaters blocking the net. There was nothing to shoot at. That’s why Canada only scored two goals. Even though it was a shooting gallery, nothing could get through. It was the most boring game in the most boring tournament I’ve ever watched.

Anybody who says Canada didn’t dominate that game either didn’t see it and was only looking at the score afterwards or they spent more time talking with their five friends because the game was so boring that they didn’t bother watching any of it. Let’s not forget as well that the one goal Latvia scored was on a trick play that they got away with. Off the face off, Nolan had one guy go to the bench and another guy simultaneously sneak off at the other end behind the defence. They didn’t get another sniff the rest of the game because they pretty much had all six of their players playing in their own goal crease.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines

Germany issues ‘travel advisory’ after beating Canada in 2018 Winter Olympics hockey

“Travel advisory: Germans in Canada should exercise a high degree of empathy. Be nice, don’t gloat, give hugs, buy rounds of hot chocolate. Just imagine how you would feel if Canada beat us in soccer,” reads the tweet.

ps I'm not giving any of you biatches hugs, I'm saying in advance, just so you all know..;)

That was gold, I liked the reply as well:

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Hot chocolate? Pfft. It's Germany and Canada, so beer.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
For everyone that thought the 2014 olympics was boring, how can you watch 82 games of the NHL regular season? Players get drunk the night before games, phone it in, collect their pay cheque. It's a joke, the NHL regular season tends to be a snooze fest more so than elite tournaments.
Just because the 82 game schedule is boring doesn’t mean the 2014 Olympics weren’t as well. Hockey has serious problems. This game is a shadow of what it was in the eighties.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
The Latvia games was actually a lot of fun, not sure why people complain about it. The minnow put up a huge fight and made it interesting, Canada eventually prevails. I thoroughly loved the 2002, 2010, and 2014 tournaments. 1998 and 2006 were memorable too, defeat made victory taste sweeter later.

If Germany somehow manages to win the gold, it would make this olympics at least a special story. Going through Switzerland, Sweden, Canada, and Russia to win the gold, it would be a Leicester city or miracle on ice level victory.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The Latvia games was actually a lot of fun, not sure why people complain about it. The minnow put up a huge fight and made it interesting, Canada eventually prevails. I thoroughly loved the 2002, 2010, and 2014 tournaments. 1998 and 2006 were memorable too, defeat made victory taste sweeter later.

If Germany somehow manages to win the gold, it would make this olympics at least a special story. Going through Switzerland, Sweden, Canada, and Russia to win the gold, it would be a Leicester city or miracle on ice level victory.
I’m excited about watching this game. It’s going to be fun cheering on Germany. Before this tournament started I felt it would be the most competitive ever with just about anyone having a chance to win. It’s turned out to have gone just that way. I’d have obviously preferred Canada to have been playing but it’ll enjoy rooting for the underdog.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Is it just me or are a lot of the Koreans being coached by Canadians?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Here's my Team Canada review for 2018:

Biggest positive surprise: Figure skating - the judges were fair, the right people won. The Canadian team looked so tight together. Just look how happy everyone is for Osmond here:

Patrick Chan is clapping wildly in the background, Keegan Messing is happy, Moore-Towers is jumping up and down, Moir is pumped, Virtue is her usual bubbly self, Piper is literally crying with joy.

Biggest negative shocker: Curling - obviously. Thank god for Morris/Lawes. I think they need to reconsider how they select who goes to the Olympics.

Where we could have done better: Short track, despite the medals for Boutin/Gerard, needs to regroup because Canada can't rely on one skater of each gender to win all the medals in 2022. Speed skating, despite historic gold for Bloeman, needs to look at how they develop their skaters because no one else is even close to a medal. Blondin was a huge disappointment. Bloeman will probably retire before 2022. There's no one to fill the void left by Hughes/Klassen/et al. Then there are the usual suspects - alpine, cross-country, biathlon, basically anything that has to do with skis and isn't freestyle. Hopefully we can develop some contenders in the snowboard races as well. Boggles the mind how Canada gets shut out of alpine at every Olympics.

Where we did better than expected: I think the luge and bobsleigh teams have shown well. Hope we can take that next step in luge for 2022, and maybe we can develop another contender in skeleton.

Biggest heartbreak: Obviously the Canadian women losing gold.

Biggest smile moment: Virtue/Moir winning gold.

Predictions for 2022: I think 2018 represents a high water mark for Canada. 2022 will likely see a step back in terms of overall medals. If the COC treats it as a transition Olympics going into another Calgary bid, I'm hopeful we can see another surge up afterwards.

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
What a historic game for Germany. Germany scores in the last 3 min to go up by 1

Edit: Nevermind. Russia ties it. This game is insane

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Germans have been underdogs all tourney. They stunned Sweden and Canada.
Yeah, I just haven't paid any attention to the olympic hockey this time around with the NHL not going, however once Germany beat Canada I had to start paying attention.

The kind of underdog story that is going to gain the germans a lot of international fans.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Damn.

I wasn't invested in this tournament at all until the last 10 minutes of this game and now I'm crushed.

Really wanted Germany to pull it off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad