PWHL team names

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
NY Sound, cuz Bridgeport is on the Long Island Sound?
Are they gonna play in Bridgeport? Because that's pretty far away from New York itself. And is in Connecticut. Connecticut residents don't mind supporting New York teams, but also don't see Connecticut as being practically in New York. Having the team play in Connecticut and calm itself New York is a mistake.

That said, when I saw Sound, my first thought is maybe they're playing at Nassau Coliseum. Place still has a pretty new ice plant, after all.

Reactions: SirJW

SirJW

Jan 25, 2007
The LA
Yea If they were to play in the Coliseum it would be ok to me but they are slated to play in Bridgeport, a newer arena with better amenities.

Last edited:

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
Wow, you want your league to be taken seriously and these are the team names you come up with?

The only thing that would make the Echo cool is if Montreal played the Pink Floyd song of the same name during warm-ups.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
I like Montreal Echo (reminds me of Expo) and the Minnesota one is ok.

Dislike all the others, especially Boston.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Are they gonna play in Bridgeport? Because that's pretty far away from New York itself. And is in Connecticut. Connecticut residents don't mind supporting New York teams, but also don't see Connecticut as being practically in New York. Having the team play in Connecticut and calm itself New York is a mistake.

That said, when I saw Sound, my first thought is maybe they're playing at Nassau Coliseum. Place still has a pretty new ice plant, after all.
Well, it was always stated that it would be a New York area team

I like Montreal Echo (reminds me of Expo) and the Minnesota one is ok.

Dislike all the others, especially Boston.
Hmm. Personally, Boston Wicked is my favourite. Probably folded by the Minnesota Superior. I'm pretty neutral about the other names.

Reactions: dalewood12

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Yeah not crazy about these names. They don't really seem very creative but I guess it's hard to pick names for 6 franchises all at once.

Also, that logo is terrible. Has zero resonance for me. For comparison, this is the WNBA logo:

WNBA_logo.svg

Here's the LPGA:

Ladies_Professional_Golf_Association.svg

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Also, that logo is terrible. Has zero resonance for me. For comparison, this is the WNBA logo:

WNBA_logo.svg

Here's the LPGA:

Ladies_Professional_Golf_Association.svg
Each of those logos scream: "Look at me, I have curves but I can STILL be athletic!" Not the message that the new PWHL seems inclined to project.

Bixby Snyder

IBTFAD
May 11, 2005
Albuquerque
www.comc.com
I think for women's hockey to ever have a chance, at least at the pro level the game needs some major changes to differentiate it from the men's game. I think 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 and/or maybe removing the blue lines should be considered. It's not like women's basketball that's much more established and popular at the collegiate level and has a pro league backed up by the NBA.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
I like the Minnesota Superior name...hope the logo will be just as good. Montreal Echo sounds like a play on the Expos. Worst thing they can do with the logo is just spell out the team or city/state name in plain font nowadays.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA

Trademark issues?

For as fast as they’ve been moving to get all of this off the ground, that would not surprise me.

That said, with cookie cutter uniforms straight out of Blades of Steel, there is no need to force things, either. Play a year with generic names, then go from there. Nicknames/mascots may grow organically, whether by surveying the market or adopting local folklore into a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad