PWHL Penalty Kill Rule

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In case you guys don't know, there's a new rule in the PWHL where if a team that scores a shorthanded goal the PP ends. I did an analysis to see if being more aggressive on the PK as a result of this rule is worth potentially weakening your PK. Please let me know what you all think.

Here's my analysis:

The top row of matrixes are most favorable circumstances for the PWHL rule, I used highest PP%, most shorthanded goals, and fewest PP opportunities. The bottom is average league-wide. The Matrixes are made up of scenarios for two assumptions, one how quickly a shorthanded goal is scored and the other what kind of bump you're expecting in shorthanded goals scored due to additional aggression. How quickly a goal is scored is a simplified assumption it assumes that scoring is evenly distributed throughout the two minutes. So if a team scores scores a shorthanded goal 60 seconds in it assumes that a 20% PP had a 10% chance to score in the final 60 seconds. Therefore it's calculated in the hypothetical Power Play goals saved by this rule. This assumption is favorable to the PWHL rule because we know that it's easier to score in the first 60 seconds than the second 60 seconds because your #1 unit is out there.

The other assumption is the multiple by which you increase shorthanded goals will go up due to the aggression. I personally think that they are pretty optimistic, especially on the higher end of the range.

The left Matrixes are PK% break-even point. So at this amount of seconds and this SHG inflation, if the PK drops by this amount you break-even. This takes into account hypothetical PP goals saved and additional shorthanded goals created due to additional aggression (the SHG inflation). If it drops by less you're adding positive expected value. The lower the stronger the case for this rule. The right Matrixes puts that into perspective, if you add this PK % to the league average PK %, this is where you'd rank. I highlighted the top 10 in green. The higher the rank, obviously the higher the percentage and the more you have cushion in terms of a weakened PK due to your aggressiveness leading to goals against. What my analysis shows is that if you're facing a league best PP and lead the league in shorthanded goals weakening your PK is worth it because you'll be net positive. However, on average unless you expect your shorthanded goals to sky rocket it's not worth it. One thing that I didn't take into account for simplicity sake was PK %, as if you have a great PK it might not make sense to play more risky because you'll likely kill off the penalty anyway.

Edit: I change the name from "PP Time Left" to "Time to Score SHG" because that original classification was the opposite of what I wanted to convey.

1705645043894.png

@Machinehead , thoughts?

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is a really cool analysis. I'm interested to see how it plays out. Once the results start coming in, I wonder if there's a way to accurately code for aggression and measure that against the results.

It reminds me of two things:

1) When the Rangers basically tried this with Kevin Hayes and JT Miller except no such rule existed. That was dreadful fun.

2) An iteration of the XFL where they had a ridiculous 3-point conversion after touchdowns. They only had to convert from the 10-yard line and while I didn't do any analysis on it, I was pretty convinced in my gut that coaches should be going for three every single time.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This is a really cool analysis. I'm interested to see how it plays out. Once the results start coming in, I wonder if there's a way to accurately code for aggression and measure that against the results.

It reminds me of two things:

1) When the Rangers basically tried this with Kevin Hayes and JT Miller except no such rule existed. That was dreadful fun.

2) An iteration of the XFL where they had a ridiculous 3-point conversion after touchdowns. They only had to convert from the 10-yard line and while I didn't do any analysis on it, I was pretty convinced in my gut that coaches should be going for three every single time.

For some reason my screenshot turned into a link before fixing it, did you see the screenshot?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I realized I probably need to be more clear. The PK% going down is for the PPs that a shorthanded goal isn't scored on. By definition under this rule games where a shorthanded goal is scored the PK is 100%. Plus I calculated the number of PP goals saved by this rule in how much additional PP goals can be allowed so if I used all PPs the number of additional PP goals that can be allowed would cancel out with how many were saved.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
1705716317249.png

I made minor changes to the original. Most notably I added a 90 seconds "time to score SHG". Also made a minor adjustment to Avg PP% which had a simple rather than weighted average.

Then I added to the bottom an analysis in a bump in league-wide scoring. I assumed 60 second to score SHG, 1.5x SHG inflation and a weakening of the PK by a % that if you were to add to the average would get you to the #10 ranked PK. Which is what I defined as significant previously. But since it's #10 it's the smallest weakening of the PK that's still signifcant. I calculated the value for each team in doing this and found that 5 teams have a positive value from the 22-23 season:

1705716873540.png

Positive value means goals gained + saved - goals allowed in the season. The drivers were PK (poorer was higher value) and Shorthanded goals (more was higher value). Four of the five teams were in the bottom half of the NHL in PK (Minnesota was 10th), the rest ranged from 19 - 32. All of these teams scored 10 or more shorthanded goals (8 was the average per team).

I then calculated the additional goals scored per team (for and against), which was additional goals scored shorthanded + additional goals allowed shorthanded due to the weakened PK - goals saved by ending the PP early (PWHL rule).

The bottom number is the average scored in a game, the top number is the average goals scored with the above assumptions if each team utilizes a more aggressive strategy. The middle number is the average goals scored with only the five identified teams employing the strategy. As you can see if only the teams that it was worth it for employed the strategy, the bump in scoring would be minimal. However, if all teams did it was a little more significant but not as significant as you'd think.

1705717697007.png

As you can see we saw a significantly bigger bump in just one year between 20-21 and 21-22, this bump would be about equivalent to to the difference between the high scoring 05-06 season and 22-23. So not insignificant but not drastic either.

My analysis is that given these assumptions (SHG inflation is by far the most significant because it adds value to teams and directly impacts scoring), if there's universal buy in the rule might make a significant but not drastic difference. However, if coaches don't buy in since it's not advantageous to their teams it'll make no difference. I posit that only a few coaches would have a more aggressive PK because most teams it wouldn't be advantageous to and as a result the league-wide scoring won't increase by a whole lot.

@Machinehead

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I updated my blog with this analysis. There are a few changes to the above.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Neat rule but if someone is in the box for something absolutely egregious and they just got off scot free then it's total bullshit.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
This might not be directly related to your analysis (it's certainly not related to the last few posts)...but - and forgive me because I forget the setting for this, I'm guessing I was at an NHL Draft - I got into a conversation with someone with an analytics company (like a legit one, not a Corsi outfit) and they were telling me something about a correlation between shift length and shorthanded chances and/or goals.

Teams that were out there for just 20 seconds at a time, tend to just clear and change and take fewer chances. This probably falls under "coach buy in" for you, but I wonder if we'll see any trends emerge in the PWHL around that...probably need to join it with some method of evaluating the player's caliber too. Big difference between me killing a penalty and Sebastian Aho killing one......

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Maybe worth not(h)ing...the Champions Hockey League over in Europe had this rule as well. They also had the "score as much as you want" on minors rule.

And one of my biggest pet peeves was corrected...scoring while on a delayed penalty does not invalidate the penalty. That one never made any sense to me...

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I assume this only applies to minor penalties?
Anyways, the rule is rather stupid.

It's women hockey. No fighting, no hits, face masks, what egregious can happen?

I can thi k of literally hundreds of things.

What if someone cross checks a player directly in the throat? A groin spear. A skate stomp.

Your post makes no sense just bc there's no hitting and there's facemasks doesn't mean someone can't get bertuzzied.

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
It's women hockey. No fighting, no hits, face masks, what egregious can happen?

You might want to re-consider your statement and keep up with the game before making ignorant statements :)

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Maybe worth not(h)ing...the Champions Hockey League over in Europe had this rule as well. They also had the "score as much as you want" on minors rule.

And one of my biggest pet peeves was corrected...scoring while on a delayed penalty does not invalidate the penalty. That one never made any sense to me...

Right - delayed call, even if you pull your goalie it's still an even strength situation. Penalty should still be in force, and it's logically inconsistent that they expunge the power play.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Right - delayed call, even if you pull your goalie it's still an even strength situation. Penalty should still be in force, and it's logically inconsistent that they expunge the power play.

I can see it both ways. A delayed penalty situation is really an even strength situation in name only. Its really a 6 on 5 with the added caveat that once every couple of years a team f***s up like the Penguins did a few days ago. But that happens so rarely that it's irrelevant. And frankly it's a less dangerous situation because you can't allow a shorthanded goal.

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati

NCAA hockey stopped canceling penalties when teams score on a delay about 10 years ago and I love the rule, even though it seems like my team has gotten burned on it more than benefitted.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
You might want to re-consider your statement and keep up with the game before making ignorant statements :)

The comments to that video call it should've been penalized.

I can thi k of literally hundreds of things.

What if someone cross checks a player directly in the throat? A groin spear. A skate stomp.

Your post makes no sense just bc there's no hitting and there's facemasks doesn't mean someone can't get bertuzzied.
if it applies only to minor penalty, I can't imagine a bertuzzi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad