Line Combos: Put Holl on the 4th line

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Holl is easily the Leafs worst player....and playing in the most important spot. Play Timmons.

What are your thoughts about moving him up to the 4th line? Wendall Clark started on defence, as many players have made the transition.

Or even put him as the 13th forward.

He consistently makes game changing mistakes. Its incredible how many times he passes the puck directly to the other team or fanning on pucks that result in turnovers. I seriously don't see what Keefe see's in this clown.

thoughts?

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Holl is easily the Leafs worst player....and playing in the most important spot. Play Timmons.

What are your thoughts about moving him up to the 4th line? Wendall Clark started on defence, as many players have made the transition.

He consistently makes game changing mistakes. Its incredible how many times he passes the puck directly to the other team or fanning on pucks that result in turnovers. I seriously don't see what Keefe see's in this clown.

thoughts?

Holl had been all season long the most physical game and had some elite defensive stats...

Holl going anywhere

• Haha
Reactions: HolyCrap

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Holl had been all season long the most physical game and had some elite defensive stats...

Holl going anywhere
He's not doing that in the playoffs.

When you hit boston and tampa in the playoffs you have to accept that multiple guys on their team will try to hit you all game after. Holl can't handle that. I guarantee you Holl will not be a bruiser in the playoffs.

I think Schenn is our only player who can hit opponents and handle the target on his head after (not open ice hit / fight target, physical guys just get played differently). Everyone else will try not to stand out as a key physical guy, or if they do try to stand out, they'll get quickly smacked down and humbled excluding Schenn. This team is still soft. We added some situational gritty guys but no real alpha grit.

Reactions: NMacrules

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

thoughts?

Is this a parody account?

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
Holl's probably not here next year and there's no way in hell an NHL level coach is going to decide to convert a career, 31 year old defense man to a winger, two weeks before the playoffs start.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

When you hit boston and tampa in the playoffs you have to accept that multiple guys on their team will try to hit you all game after. Holl can't handle that. I guarantee you Holl will not be a bruiser in the playoffs.

I think Schenn is our only player who can hit opponents and handle the target on his head after (not open ice hit / fight target, physical guys just get played differently). Everyone else will try not to stand out as a key physical guy, or if they do try to stand out, they'll get quickly smacked down and humbled excluding Schenn. This team is still soft. We added some situational gritty guys but no real alpha grit.

The most important part of physicality is not the number of hit you giving up, its how many puck battle you winning...

Its fine hitting hard and made huge hit but at the end its not whats gonna make you win a game, but puck battle won yes.

And HOLL IS 5TH amount all NHL D with at least 800 minute played in D puck battle won so i dont know why that should change, so yes im totally fine with Holl playing physical team like tampa or Boston and pretty sure he will have an higher impact than Schenn.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

thoughts?
I'd think you were on to something if I was stoned.
It is so outlandish that it would probably make a eureka moment after I put a shoe on the wrong foot.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Holl isn't a great player. No question. Duh. Fact is he isn't paid like a great player. He's paid like a third pairing defenseman. If the Leafs are asking him to do things that go beyond that, I don't see that as being a Holl problem.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
If I were to experiment with a Leaf D as a winger I would suggest Eric Gustafsson would be the candidate.

And PP2

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

thoughts?
He is one of the Leafs most valuable defensemen.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012

O'Reiiilly??? McCaaaabe guy!

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
It's no wonder people continue to go down this road. If it was easy to do lots of players would be doing it. If you were to try this trick it would be best to do it in the AHL for a few games. Players are almost automatic in most their movements it's just nature. You don't need Holl missing a step going back to play defense when he should hit the boards.

Takes about 21 days to break a habit is not really correct. Everyone is different so can the scapegoat learn a new position before all of leaf Nation loses their minds?

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I don’t hate Holl as a player.

What I disagree with is how Keefe continues to overplay him.

I also dislike that he is an impediment to Liljegren and Timmins development, and soon Niemala because of how Keefe insists on overplaying him.

I also dislike that for years Dubas has not addressed our gap at RHD in a meaningful way, partly because of Holl. Trades for Weegar, signing Marino, exposing McCann to keep Holl, all I blame on Dubas for not addressing “because we have Holl”.

I don’t hate the player but we clearly don’t use him in a way that benefits our team in the present, nor the long term, nor so we do Holl himself any favours for putting him in positions that clearly don’t play to his strengths.

He will be overpaid by someone else and I won’t miss him in the least. I think both Liljegren and Timmins will be better than him by this time next year…… provided Keefe is no longer the head coach after this season.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

I also dislike that he is an impediment to Liljegren and Timmins development, and soon Niemala because of how Keefe insists on overplaying him.

I also dislike that for years Dubas has not addressed our gap at RHD in a meaningful way, partly because of Holl. Trades for Weegar, signing Marino, exposing McCann to keep Holl, all I blame on Dubas for not addressing “because we have Holl”.

I don’t hate the player but we clearly don’t use him in a way that benefits our team in the present, nor the long term, nor so we do Holl himself any favours for putting him in positions that clearly don’t play to his strengths.

He will be overpaid by someone else and I won’t miss him in the least. I think both Liljegren and Timmins will be better than him by this time next year…… provided Keefe is no longer the head coach after this season.
Very well said.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Keefe played Holl because he had nobody else to make what Holl did... Holl played a lot of defensive situation exactly where he can help a team and he had elite number defensivly this season whatever all the hate against him

-You talk about Marino, personnally i dont see anything Marino did this season than holl to justify paying an additionnal 2.4M in salary...
-Weagar had been traded for Tkachuk and extended a 6.25M... to sign those guy you need the money for it and with Muzzin in the line up, leafs didn't had this momey available

holl playing more than liljegren and timmins becaus3 hes much more better defensive side and its not even close... and whats leafs needed the most was a guy who can play a lot of defensive minute with Muzzin injured.

Outside Of Brodie, Holl had been the best defensive D thials season, Why all those hate against him. He maybe played in higher role he should but its not holl fault if he was the best option after Brodie.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00