Pushkarev

Status
Not open for further replies.

10 ft. pole

May 19, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
This kid sound s like he is tearing it up in the WHL playoffs. From what I hear he has amazing puck control. What else could you guys add about his game or his performance in general. What do you think LA has in this guy? Who would you compare him too!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
7 points in 9 games isn't really tearing it up.

In terms of style, he's similar to Alex Korolyuk. Stocky, shifty Russian with a chippy side to his game. Korolyuk was much more advanced skill-wise at the same age however. Oleg Saprykin as well, although again Saprykin was much more dynamic offensively at the same age, and a few inches bigger. His upside would probably be in the same range as Korolyuk/Brylin/Saprykin types - 15 goal utility forward who can play on a 2nd or 3rd line.

Jessie Lumsden

Apr 7, 2005
I hate to say it because I love the guy, but he will never make it in the NHL. Too lazy and selfish, he has a great shot though.

Flamesfaithful

Sep 22, 2004
He does have amazing puck control. Lately he's been bringing the crowd to its feet more than any other Hitman by making moves only a Russian would be cocky enough to pull off. Overhandles occasionally however making one too many moves causing a turnover, but generally uses his stickhandling effectively to create offense. Good speed, playmaker (although he's usually looking for the shot first). Something you wouldn't expect is that he can be very gritty along the boards, and strong on the puck in cycling etc, in the offensive zone. In terms of projections, I think it would be really hard to make one at this point. I'd like to see his second year playing northamerican hocke to see if he does grow smarter of when to stickhandle through everyone, and when to just dump it in, and his defensive coverage could still use some work, as he seems more concerned with stripping defensmen for the breakaway, than just making sure the puck gets out of the zone. Time will tell.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Pushkarev arguably possesses the best set of hands in the Western league. That said, he doesn't have a clue when to use them. He plays a very european style of hockey (go figure!) that's been frustrating both to watch and to play with. His offensive selection seems poor. He doesn't seem to know when to pass and when to shoot, and especially doesn't know when to NOT add that last move.

It seems that he doesn't learn systems very well, or perhaps the style of play under Kisio is an extremely drastic change that Pushkarev just hasn't been able to grab in practice. His inability to read a play while heading into the offensive zone will hurt him.

I wouldn't call Pushkarev a remarkable skater, but he's quite good, especially while carrying the puck. I'd like to see him skate with his head up more, though I wonder how it'd affect his stickhandling.

All this said, I'd take him in my organization any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->