"Pure Goal Scorer" vs "Sniper"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
What's the definition of a "pure goal scorer" and a "sniper". Are they the same? Is one somehow better than the other? Can you give an example of a player you consider a pure goal scorer but NOT a sniper? or a player you consider a sniper but NOT a pure goal scorer?

We're having a huge debate on this issue today, so any and all comments would be welcome.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
This is just my opinion, but here's how I see it:

Pure goal-scorer: Someone who can score goals on a whim, through any means neccessary. Wristers, slappers, tips, snappers, backhanders, flukey odd-angle shots, pucks that bounce in off anything- seemingly everything goes in.

Sniper: Someone who scores the majority of their goals on wristers/snapshots that find the smallest holes. This is not to say they can't crash the net and score. However, they are more of a finesse scorer than anything.

I don't think one is better than the other... they just favour different styles of play.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Examples. Kovalchuk is a pure goal scorer. Hull is a sniper.

I guess one way to put it is that I see a pure goal scorer doing most of the work with the puck, while a sniper does most of his work without the puck and would need a set-up man. Both need effective linemates, but the sniper to a greater degree. The goal scorer needs a player that can also be a threat to draw away defensive attention and the sniper needs someone to get him the puck.

My opinion anyway.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
According to those definitions, then Kovalchuk would be a sniper. Lucky Luc Robitaille would be a pure goal-scorer. Steve Shutt would be a pure goal-scorer. Mike Bossy's a pure goal-scorer. Cam Neely was a sniper. Tim Kerr was a sniper. Michel Goulet was a pure goal-scorer. Reggie Leach was a sniper.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I always thought a pure goal scorer was a guy who scored a lot of goals, rather than a guy who plays a defensive game, or a guy who sets up a lot of goals.

A sniper I would consider someone who can "snipe", ie very accurate wrister/snapper sort of shot, as opposed to a guy who will just deke the pants off a goalie, or go to the backhand, or blast slappers from the point.

That would mean that a pure goal scorer could also be a sniper, but so could a 2-way forward, or a playmaker, or whatever.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Squeaky said:
I always thought a pure goal scorer was a guy who scored a lot of goals, rather than a guy who plays a defensive game, or a guy who sets up a lot of goals.

A sniper I would consider someone who can "snipe", ie very accurate wrister/snapper sort of shot, as opposed to a guy who will just deke the pants off a goalie, or go to the backhand, or blast slappers from the point.

That would mean that a pure goal scorer could also be a sniper, but so could a 2-way forward, or a playmaker, or whatever.

This is the understanding I had as well - sniper and pure goal scorer not being mutually exclusive.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
DuklaNation said:
I think Dino Ciccarelli epitomizes "pure goal scorer"

Mike Bossy was a sniper.

Good call. Guys like Ciccarelli, Andreychuk, Robitaille, etc are "pure goal scorers" who have the ability to get their stick and everything else on the puck and put it in the net in bunches. To me, a sniper is a guy that possesses a bit more skill, and is able to bury the puck with more precision.

se7en*

SO this would be like Mike Bossy (pure goal scorer) vs. Pavel Bure (sniper)?

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
The term "pure goal scorer", kind of suggests the player is only an offensive threat... while "sniper" might qualify the kinds of goals the player scores.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Hootchie Cootchie said:
SO this would be like Mike Bossy (pure goal scorer) vs. Pavel Bure (sniper)?

Bossy was actually a bit of a sniper himself. I'll give you some examples:

Sniper: Naslund
Pure: Andreychuk
-----------------
Sniper: Hejduk
Pure: Shanahan
-----------------
Sniper: Sakic
Pure: Bertuzzi

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Pure goal scorer is one who can score goals in various different ways, they just know how to find the net. They are allways in the right places and know how to finish plays.

Sniper is one who scores the majority of their goals from the outside with a swrist/snap shot.

Pure goal scorers : Guerin
Sniper : Mogilny

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Jason MacIsaac said:
Pure goal scorer is one who can score goals in various different ways, they just know how to find the net. They are allways in the right places and know how to finish plays.

Sniper is one who scores the majority of their goals from the outside with a swrist/snap shot.

Good explenation.

Where would some prospects fit like Fehr? Goalscorer? or sniper?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Jason MacIsaac said:

Rick Nash can score goals in a fray or with a laser beam. Nash could be both a sniper and a pure goal scorer. They're not categories, just descriptive terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad