OT: Purchasing Skates

Draiken

Jun 28, 2011
Hey guys,

Sorry for the off topic thread but I figure quite a few of you have played or do play hockey. I'm just getting back into it after several years off and in the process of relearning to skate I went out and purchased some decent skates to start.

Originally I thought I was just a bad skater (I am) but it's been over a year and it took about that long to figure my left foot is a half a size smaller than my right. After searching the net and talking to manufacturer's I'm kind of surprised that no one offers the ability to purchase a single skate that I can find. They all try to push you to custom skates which start at $1000. I'm already into my skates for $500 so that option doesn't sit very well with me.

I'm sure some of you have had a similar issue: What did you do?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Hey guys,

Sorry for the off topic thread but I figure quite a few of you have played or do play hockey. I'm just getting back into it after several years off and in the process of relearning to skate I went out and purchased some decent skates to start.

Originally I thought I was just a bad skater (I am) but it's been over a year and it took about that long to figure my left foot is a half a size smaller than my right. After searching the net and talking to manufacturer's I'm kind of surprised that no one offers the ability to purchase a single skate that I can find. They all try to push you to custom skates which start at $1000. I'm already into my skates for $500 so that option doesn't sit very well with me.

I'm sure some of you have had a similar issue: What did you do?

I don't have that problem, but you could try buying skates that fit your larger foot and then putting in extra insoles in the other.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'd go with what Little Fury here is saying.

I think you'd want the same size skates even if you're feet are different sizes. Just in terms of having equal strides and being able to glide and cut the same on both sides.

I'd add the caveat that I think it'd be worth getting a proper Orthotic insole than some thing off the shelf. I'd also look into getting something like that for your everyday shoes, particularly runners / work shoes. If it is causing distress in your skating, it likely causes distress in your day to day gait. That could cause all sorts of muscle and joint problems / pain anywhere from your legs to your back, and I'm sure elsewhere, too.

Not something I dealt with myself, but I know a few people who said it basically changed their life to get proper Orthotics. You'd likely need to get a referral, but I think if it causes any significant distress any walk in clinic General practitioner would be more than happy to get you one.

pisani34

Sep 17, 2007
Edmonton
unfortunately without going full custom your options are a little limited. I would caution against packing in extra insoles to take away length. On the contrary, my suggestion would be to have bought the pair of skates that fit your smaller of your two feet, and then have the one skate adjusted to try and better fit the longer foot. That can be done via stretching (boot dependent) and what not, that could get you right in that half size bigger range. Go talk to some of the guys at pro skate, probably who i'd recommend to do that kind of work.

madmutter

F**king Phenomenal
Jun 6, 2009
unfortunately without going full custom your options are a little limited. I would caution against packing in extra insoles to take away length. On the contrary, my suggestion would be to have bought the pair of skates that fit your smaller of your two feet, and then have the one skate adjusted to try and better fit the longer foot. That can be done via stretching (boot dependent) and what not, that could get you right in that half size bigger range. Go talk to some of the guys at pro skate, probably who i'd recommend to do that kind of work.
This is what I would do. United cycle can also stretch skates. I know several kids who did it When they were in their growth spurt, my son included. As soon as the skates are too small, get them power stretched and they’re good for another half a season. It would be the same for you, just one skate.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

I'd also go this route. One of my feet is a bit smaller but I basically even go smaller than that smaller foot. I wear skates that are half a size smaller than my smaller foot and it actually feels like a good fit. Toes doesn't jam up much in the cap. Main thing for me is feeling from about midfoot back to the heel locked into the boot very tightly.

But ya, best route is obviously custom fit. It's worth it if you can make the skates last for 5-10 yrs. Unfortunately i go through skates once every year or two.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Everyone's feet have some size variation. In your case, you'll be skating more than a recreational skater and putting more demands on the skates. I would suggest that:
1. consider starting a full size smaller than your biggest foot. This should ensure full fit and full heel control.
2. if the above doesn't make the skates feel snug, try another half-size smaller.
3. ensure the skate width is comfortable without pinching.

Paul Coffey used skates 2 full sizes smaller and had a great takeoff and glide.

Reactions: HK97

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Agreed. Start at Pro Skate. I've had skates stretched there before. They know their stuff and will be able help you out, though with stretching the boot you may be limited by the materials that the boot is made of. It was easier before when boots were all leather.

Draiken

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, thing is I went back to United several times. The first time they put me in 8.5's and I purchased those thinking it was fine. Finally I took them back a few months later. They graciously purchased them back at half price and sold me a new pair at a decent discount due to their part in the poor fit. They finally set me up with my current skates which are a 7.5 but the left skate is still too big. I've been through the scanner and everything, I'm not fully confident they know or care how to size skates.

My fault for going in a little blind, I had no idea about sizes or skates being different from one foot to the next. I find it odd that no one wants to sell individual skates though, as it appears to be fairly common that skates sizes vary from foot to foot.

Thanks guys, looks like I'll need to take them back again and try to get a smaller size and have the larger foot stretched out.

Unless anyone is a 7.0 on the right and wants to trade? :)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'd go with what Little Fury here is saying.

I think you'd want the same size skates even if you're feet are different sizes. Just in terms of having equal strides and being able to glide and cut the same on both sides.

I'd add the caveat that I think it'd be worth getting a proper Orthotic insole than some thing off the shelf. I'd also look into getting something like that for your everyday shoes, particularly runners / work shoes. If it is causing distress in your skating, it likely causes distress in your day to day gait. That could cause all sorts of muscle and joint problems / pain anywhere from your legs to your back, and I'm sure elsewhere, too.

Not something I dealt with myself, but I know a few people who said it basically changed their life to get proper Orthotics. You'd likely need to get a referral, but I think if it causes any significant distress any walk in clinic General practitioner would be more than happy to get you one.

Great advice, as I am one of those people that required proper orthotics provided by a professional provider. My knees and back were suffering, in addition of course to bouts of severe plantar fascitis

Draiken

Jun 28, 2011
If your just relearning how to skate, it doest really matter sorry.

So your answer to someone who asks how to get skates that fit properly is to tell them that they don't need skates that fit?

Why even comment?

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
So your answer to someone who asks how to get skates that fit properly is to tell them that they don't need skates that fit?

Why even comment?

because unless it’s causing blisters it doesn’t really matter.

Oct 15, 2008

Why even comment?

It sounds like you have a pretty unique situation. You may want to ask how committed you are to this as I believe it may require a significant investment to properly address. Try Pro Skate, I used to know a guy who worked there, its high end stuff, custom boots, foam injection and so on, I’m thinking some kind of custom boot would be the order of the day for your special circumstances. Good luck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad