Purchase data from a database

D1az

Oct 29, 2009
Finland
I would like to have a somewhat deeper look at game data and player stats, at some point, which is why this came up.

I would at this stage mostly just have a data for my own use to check what interesting things I could find, in which case I will probably for starters webscrape a bit to see what I can get and do with that data.
But I thought that if I'd like to have my own site for certain data then that would obviously not be a really fair solution, especially if this data isn't available for free anywhere, and perhaps a bit clumsy as well if the layout of the sites change.

What are the options in this case? I know that one can access a lot of databases for other things online via APIs, but I don't think I've seen the same for NHL or hockey data.

Which are the good databases, what data is available and what is the pricing normally?

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Elite prospects has an API. Elite Prospects - API

Be careful web scraping. Hockeydb is a site that has explicitly banned this. Although I have heard that some people have reached out to the owner and negotiated a deal for a key and access to their private API

Reactions: D1az

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
The NHL JSON stats API as mentioned above isn't officially documented at all, but some people have tried to document parts of it.

The NHL has been using the API for their game summaries and stats pages so it's quite nice as long as they keep it freely available and don't have terms against using it without express permission like some other sites. The only unfortunate thing is that almost every season including recent ones have some missing games for some reason lol

For paid options that may be more complete and have documentation/support (no personal experience), you could also try one of the big stats places like STATS LLC or Elias Sports Bureau. Might be super pricey given their target market isn't so much individuals and hobbyists though.

Reactions: D1az

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad