OT: Puns n' COSes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
At an airport bar here at BNA waiting to fly across the country to start my new life. Flying makes me extremely anxious in general but this is cranked up to level 11. Gonna miss Smashville.

I love flying. I do a weird thing every time I fly. When I walk onto the plane I always tap the side of the plane. I don't know why. I really love the window seat and watching the scenery below.

When/if Seattle gets their new team, don't forget about the Preds!

Reactions: Drake744

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I love flying. I do a weird thing every time I fly. When I walk onto the plane I always tap the side of the plane. I don't know why. I really love the window seat and watching the scenery below.

When/if Seattle gets their new team, don't forget about the Preds!
Don't worry about that. I'll always be a Preds fan, no questions asked. They have the Thunderbirds in the WHL that my friends up there already root for. That's enough for me haha. I'll absolutely still be on the boards though. That won't change.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Good luck! Don't be a stranger--I'd love to hear from you. Also, if you want to put up your Roman Josi avatar one more time I wouldn't be averse to that.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Don't forget about the Preds, but definitely support the new home team. There's nothing like being there from day one and being part of every moment a franchise has ever had.

And if you do eventually close the door on the Preds, I won't blame you and almost nobody here should either. We all have former teams before the Preds were born yet here we are, it's only natural to lose touch with the old flame across the country when you've got a new spark at home.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Paradise Park won't be around next hockey season. Hard to imagine not having a pitcher in that place pregame.
Yeah, that one hurts. Whenever Bryan and I would go to games together we'd end up there. A free beer for wearing Preds stuff? Why, thank you very much. Everything else was pretty reasonable, too (though not free!)

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I'm really upset at Paradise Park closing. I've been going there since at least 2010. Everyone that works there are so nice and friendly and actually know what they are doing. They were big Preds supporters and that place was so much fun before games, especially playoff games.

I hate this "New Nashville" that is taking over Broadway. This is just going to end up being another corporate tourist trap. All these new bars are the same, a country singers name on the front with an overpriced menu. There is nothing about these new bars that are any different from any bar in any other downtown city.

You can't replace the vibe of Paradise Park with a "concept" bar.

Fox17 just did a live report from inside PP by my spot, in the back by the bar-top video game! :cry:

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
I'm really upset at Paradise Park closing. I've been going there since at least 2010. Everyone that works there are so nice and friendly and actually know what they are doing. They were big Preds supporters and that place was so much fun before games, especially playoff games.

I hate this "New Nashville" that is taking over Broadway. This is just going to end up being another corporate tourist trap. All these new bars are the same, a country singers name on the front with an overpriced menu. There is nothing about these new bars that are any different from any bar in any other downtown city.

Fox17 just did a live report from inside PP by my spot, in the back by the bar-top video game! :cry:
I agree, 100%. It's become something completely different from over a decade ago when I moved here.

Yes, there was downtown and all, but it still had a "small town" feel to it which I really enjoyed and not so much of the tourist trap it has become in the last several years. Nowadays I tell people visiting "Nashville will be a great city once they ever to decide to finish building it." We've been looking into getting out of Davidson County before it gets even more out of control, but we shall see.

Reactions: sparkle twin

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

everything you just said.

ol red, Jason aldean, Dierks bentleys bar. they all suck. all the same, just a country singer making bank and the tourists think it's awesome.

horrible news about paradise park. everyone loved that place. it had the best atmosphere of any bar downtown. a sad day for downtown and especially Preds fans. that was a huge spot for us.

i am pissed about that. maybe start heading over to demonbreun before games.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
horrible news about paradise park. everyone loved that place. it had the best atmosphere of any bar downtown. a sad day for downtown and especially Preds fans. that was a huge spot for us.

I haven't been as upset about a place closing since Wolfy's.

Here's a concept--how about just a comfortable bar that caters to Nashvillians instead of the tourists. I guess all those free beers added up over time.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
It's a sentiment you would often see from Anthony Bourdain, as areas grow they lose the very things that make them unique. He often would go back and forth with himself because his shows often showed these sides of the places he visited, only to see them gone when he returned due to progress.

Sadly it's something Nashville needs to learn to balance and try and preserve as best it can. Sadly I'm not sure the leadership in the town is that concerned with.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

There's no way haven't seen each other at some point. My friends and I went there before all the games for years and were typically towards the back. My friends are extremely upset about it believe me. One of our friends is a bartender there and she told us a day or two before it came out publicly. It's a joke. Broadway is dying.

(One of those friends is the one pictured making out with some girl, maybe his ex, in the main picture of a story about it in the Nashville Post, which is hilarious)

Edit: one of my friend's Twitter rants

Last edited:

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I don't mind some of these new places opening, if they're taking empty buildings or a bar is losing money.

But this was a gold mine. One article said PP was having their best year ever. The fact that there is so much outrage over this that there is a petition to save the Park is a testament to how beloved this place is by locals.

This is super cheesy, but it's true; When I go to Paradise Park I feel like I'm at a friend's house, everyone is a friend there. When I go to some of the other places I feel like I'm just the next customer in line.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Yeah, it's a tough day for those of us who have lost their dad. Mine died 9 years ago and the feeling of loss gets bigger every year. My empathy to those of you who have lost a great man in your life, and if you have not, CALL HIM or even better go see him. It will be a comfort to you some day.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Yeah, it's a tough day for those of us who have lost their dad. Mine died 9 years ago and the feeling of loss gets bigger every year. My empathy to those of you who have lost a great man in your life, and if you have not, CALL HIM or even better go see him. It will be a comfort to you some day.

Mine has been gone 2 and a half years, officially, but sadly the man my father was had gone at least three years before that, so when he finally passed it was a mercy.

But then his remaining law partner retired this winter, and we just sold the building earlier this month. Going down to that office where I had been so many times as a child and an adult, and cleaning out his office(which we had left untouched ) was both wonderful and profoundly sad, because as long as his old office was there it didnt seem quite so final. But taking his desk to a storage unit (to save for my daughter when she finishes law school) was really, really hard.

What I'm saying with this rambling spasm of emotion is, Adz is right.. if you're blessed that your father is still alive,make sure you appreciate it and him, and on more than just today.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Mine has been gone 2 and a half years, officially, but sadly the man my father was had gone at least three years before that, so when he finally passed it was a mercy.

But then his remaining law partner retired this winter, and we just sold the building earlier this month. Going down to that office where I had been so many times as a child and an adult, and cleaning out his office(which we had left untouched ) was both wonderful and profoundly sad, because as long as his old office was there it didnt seem quite so final. But taking his desk to a storage unit (to save for my daughter when she finishes law school) was really, really hard.

What I'm saying with this rambling spasm of emotion is, Adz is right.. if you're blessed that your father is still alive,make sure you appreciate it and him, and on more than just today.
Same here, too. He was so sick that at the time he passed it was merciful. He was ready and at the time I was too (sort of, you're never REALLY prepared for that, just maybe not so surprised). Over time, though, the hurt has set in--I wish I had asked him about so and so, wish I'd paid more attention when he was trying to teach me sign language. I know the letters but that's all. Little things, mostly. We cleaned out his shop a few years ago and it was both sad and therapeutic. He had at least a million different screws, washers, nails etc., all separated into various jars. We also found a cheesecake pic of my mom which was kind of funny.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
At an airport bar here at BNA waiting to fly across the country to start my new life. Flying makes me extremely anxious in general but this is cranked up to level 11. Gonna miss Smashville.
Bummed we couldn’t grab a drink before you left. Much luck to you, man. We’ll have to link up on NHL again sometime. I know you said you will, but you better stay on these boards!

Next season I really would like to meet up with some folks to watch the game. None of my friends in real life even remotely feel the same way about hockey. Would be a nice release for me. Lol. Plus I’m envious of the relationships you all have developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad