Punchys second mock (the what "could" happen bonkers one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
I stand by my first mock and will leave it alone now until draft day but, as the days go by, there are certainly interesting pieces of information that pop up about prospects and how Gms and others feel about them that could influence their selection spot.

Here then is my "what might be" draft. Have at it mates.

1. Washington Capitols - Alexander Ovechkin (of course, no reason to mess about)

2. Pits Penguins - Yevgeny Malkin (just too perfect a fit for the Pens, see above)

3. Chicago Blackhawks - A.J. Thelen (The Hawks can't say no and make the first suprise of the draft)

4. Columbus Bluejackets - Al Radulov (Bjs need another sniper and snag him)

5. Poenix Coyotes - Cam Barker (Yotes can't let him fall any further)

6. New York Rangers - Radislav Olesz (his concussion drops this megatalent to this spot and the Rangers are happy to take him)

7. Florida Panthers - Lauri Tukonen (Happy Cats add grit and skill)

8. Whale a Canes - Drew Stafford (Big, hard hitting, Gritty with nice hands He puts the Ers on his chest and two years from now is a fan favorite)

9. Anahiem Ducks (; - Rob Schremp (Someone is going to gamble on this megatalent nutter and the Ducks seize the chance. His upside is too valuable to let slip further)

10. Atlanta Thrashers - Marek Schwarz (Best Goalie in the draft goes to a team who takes the best player at his position)

11. Los Angeles Kings - Andrew Ladd (the Kings NEED a goalie or a top center but can't believe that Ladd fell out of the top ten and take him as the LW for the line Frolov ISN'T on)

12. Minnesota Wild - Boris Valabik (Look at Wolski but go for Valabik for his size and meanstreak)

13. Buffalo Sabres - Wojtek Wolski (EVERYONE including every member of the Sabres run to the podium and shout this future stars name out before the "weasel" can announce that it is their pick)

14. Edmonton Oilers - Wes Oniel (They look at Green and chose Oniel)

15. New York Islanders - Mike Green (They look at Picard and chose Green)

16. Nashville Predators - Alexander Picard (They want to take Chipchura but cannot pass up this overhyped Q forward. Every draft has one and heres to AP becoming the player that he looks to be)

17. St. Louis Blues - Enver Lisin (The fastest skater in the draft goes to the Blues)

18. Montreal Canadiens- Kyle Chipchura (The Habs get their gritty hard nosed player)

19. Calgary Flames - Alvaro Montoya (The Flames wanted to take Berti but, just can't let Montoya drop one more spot. Stunned he is there, they take him)

20. Dallas Stars - Carl Soderberg. (Shock and horror but they see what everyone in Europe has been saying for awhile now, this kid is going to be a star scorer with speed to play both ends)
Dave Bolland

21. Vancouver Canucks - Dave Bolland (Thought about Sindel but Bolland has to much to offer)

22. New Jersey Devils - Oscar Hedman ( A Devils pick for certain. Hedman has all of those things that the Devils look for and they snap him up)

23. Ottawa Senators - Jacub Sindel (The Sens take the best player available with the pick)

24. New York Rangers (TOR) - Kirill Lymin (Happy to have him, he will be a fan favorite in the big apple)

25. San Jose Sharks - Brian Bickel (Perfect fit for the Sharks)

26. Washington Capitals (BOS) - Adam Berti (Gives the Caps even more tough solid play. Berti will be a leader for all the skill players in a couple of years)

27. Colorado Avalanche - Johan Franson (this one will suprise some but not PL. He knows what lots of others do and that is this pup is the business)

28. Edmonton Oilers (PHI) - Evan McGrath (Should have gone higher up than this. The Oilers are happy again)

29. Tampa Bay Lightning - Ladsilav Smid (I believe he could be gone in the top twelve or so but, I am going on what I see other teams needing and that is why this talented lad has dropped down this far. He could be one of them lads that in three years we will all be asking why our gms passed on him)

30. Washington Capitals (DET) - Lukas Kaspar (The most controversial pick in my draft. I love this lad. I have been lucky enough to watch two games he were in and I were shocked at his skills. He will take a little time no doubt but when the payday comes, I feel he could be another Tanguay/Hejduk suprise the hell out of us type of player (not a fair comparison but I mean that fancy of a lad). I can't wait to be right on this pick)

As for draft day potential deals.....

I absolutely believe that there will be so many deals that it is hard to even begin to predict them all.

I am one of those who believe the Caps could well deal both of the later picks they have and one of their goalie prospects before draft day. I could easily see a team like the Kings or better still, the Ducks trading their 7th pick to the Caps for the chance to drop down and get two first round picks this year.

The Caps would be happy to do this because they are loaded with talent and could truly use a player like Tukonen in their system right now. The Ducks have allot of talented young lads that are ready and don't have any glaring needs so they can pick up the two later picks to padd a loaded system.

Of course, being a King fan, I can appreciate the Caps taking all three picks as well. The Kings did twice and I fancy it will start paying big dividends in a year or so.

I can see the Oilers trading to move up as well as the Blues.

In fact, I could see the Blues being very active and dealing away some of their veterans to get as many picks as they can this year.

Could the Kings be willing to move the 11th pick to the Blues for Weight? Who knows.

So, I just stood pat on the trade stuff. I do think that it is an outside chance that no matter what teams pick at these spots that these players could go in this order.

Have at it.

Last edited:

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Don't be suprised if the rangers dangle the likes of Lundmark, Poti and even Blackburn in an attempt to move up and snag a guy like Wolski or Valabik.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
back to the drawing board...

Florida picks 7th, Carolina 8th, Anaheim 9th

and I will personally deliver a blank check to you if Atlanta drafts a goalie in the first round...

thestonedkoala

Minnesota won't take a defenseman as I keep saying, they have a philosophy going...You can teach defense but not offense...They will take a forward...

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
rnyquist said:
Don't be suprised if the rangers dangle the likes of Lundmark, Poti and even Blackburn in an attempt to move up and snag a guy like Wolski or Valabik.

I wouldn't be suprised at all mate. Well thought.

Kirill would be a solid add to the Rangers though. I agree, that if Wolski were sitting there then that the Rangers, now that they are on the true rebuildish move, would be daft not to try and snag Valabik.

I have this guy feeling that Valabik could sneak into the top ten and through the whole thing topsdownside but have left it aside. Maybe as the weeks slip past I will see how that one floats.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
rnyquist said:

Oh, and I wouls say that if you don't like this draft wich I have said is my "strange and what "Could" happen one, you should look at what I have as my true draft. It is on this page as well.

This one is just for pisser and fun.

I wouldn't be suprised at all mate. Well thought.

Kirill would be a solid add to the Rangers though. I agree, that if Wolski were sitting there then that the Rangers, now that they are on the true rebuildish move, would be daft not to try and snag Valabik.

I have this guy feeling that Valabik could sneak into the top ten and through the whole thing topsdownside but have left it aside. Maybe as the weeks slip past I will see how that one floats.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Now I know why they call you punchy!

There is no way Atlanta will take a goalie with their first pick given that they have a young superstar in Lehtonen and an up and coming top prospect in Michael Garnett.

If they look at drafting a forward they'll take Ladd and Wolski if available and on d probably Wes O'Neill given that Thelen could be gone by pick 10.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Peter Sidorkiewicz said:
Now I know why they call you punchy!

There is no way Atlanta will take a goalie with their first pick given that they have a young superstar in Lehtonen and an up and coming top prospect in Michael Garnett.

If they look at drafting a forward they'll take Ladd and Wolski if available and on d probably Wes O'Neill given that Thelen could be gone by pick 10.

yup, whole draft is fine except atlanta, no way they take a goalie bpa or not.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
punchy1 said:
17. St. Louis Blues - Enver Lisin (The fastest skater in the draft goes to the Blues).

30. Washington Capitals (DET) - Lukas Kaspar (The most controversial pick in my draft. I love this lad. I have been lucky enough to watch two games he were in and I were shocked at his skills. He will take a little time no doubt but when the payday comes, I feel he could be another Tanguay/Hejduk suprise the hell out of us type of player (not a fair comparison but I mean that fancy of a lad). I can't wait to be right on this pick)

I can see the Oilers trading to move up as well as the Blues.

In fact, I could see the Blues being very active and dealing away some of their veterans to get as many picks as they can this year.

Could the Kings be willing to move the 11th pick to the Blues for Weight? Who knows.

Lisin is an interesting pick for the Blues at 17th. I'm afraid I don't know much about him, other than the fact that everything I see about him says he's fast.

Interesting to see that we share some of the same thoughts about Kaspar. I haven't been lucky enough to see him play, but everything I hear about this kid suggests that he's the real deal, and a guy I'd really like to see the Blues add to their organ-I-zation.

I can also see the Blues being willing to trade veterans for picks and prospects. Weight for the 11th overall pick? Hmmm....

If the Blues could get that pick, they could spend it on whichever of Montoya or Schwarz is still available (I'd take Schwarz if both were on the board), and take Kaspar with the 17th pick.

I'd be doing this to Jarmo Kekalainen and Larry Pleau if they could pull that scenario off:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

PrussianBlue :blues

CoolDude*

im not sure about Chicago takind thelen over Barker...just doesn't make any sense at all...

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
PrussianBlue said:
Lisin is an interesting pick for the Blues at 17th. I'm afraid I don't know much about him, other than the fact that everything I see about him says he's fast.

Interesting to see that we share some of the same thoughts about Kaspar. I haven't been lucky enough to see him play, but everything I hear about this kid suggests that he's the real deal, and a guy I'd really like to see the Blues add to their organ-I-zation.

I can also see the Blues being willing to trade veterans for picks and prospects. Weight for the 11th overall pick? Hmmm....

If the Blues could get that pick, they could spend it on whichever of Montoya or Schwarz is still available (I'd take Schwarz if both were on the board), and take Kaspar with the 17th pick.

I'd be doing this to Jarmo Kekalainen and Larry Pleau if they could pull that scenario off:

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Somehow I think that if LA and St. Louis are to make a trade involving Weight and the 11th overall, there's going to be a lot of cash going to LA - along with St. Louis' first rounder. Weight's salary is just so large that LA, though Weight would be a great fit, would be really reluctant to absorb it, especially when they're losing the 11th overall.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
punchy1 said:
22. New Jersey Devils - Oscar Hedman ( A Devils pick for certain. Hedman has all of those things that the Devils look for and they snap him up)

I really like this pick for NJ. I think, for the Devils, it comes down to four players - Valabik, Smid, Hedman, and Green. Green tops the list, followed by Valabik, and then it's more of a toss-up, but I really, really like Hedman.

KH1

rnyquist said:
Valabik? That would be very surprising. I think that if they were to move up, they'd be trying to position themselves for Green.

Atlanta taking a goalie :dunno: ?

I can see a surprise happening with Thelen over Barker, but I can't imagine the Blue Jackets not grabbing Cam if he fell to them. Other than that, a very entertaining mock!

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
King Henry I said:
Valabik? That would be very surprising. I think that if they were to move up, they'd be trying to position themselves for Green.

Atlanta taking a goalie :dunno: ?

I can see a surprise happening with Thelen over Barker, but I can't imagine the Blue Jackets not grabbing Cam if he fell to them. Other than that, a very entertaining mock!

c'mon sather loves big big players, Valabik would just get sather :eek::eek::eek::eek:ing in his pants. If he can get Valabik sather will do it, make no mistake

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Flame_Star_Devil said:
Somehow I think that if LA and St. Louis are to make a trade involving Weight and the 11th overall, there's going to be a lot of cash going to LA - along with St. Louis' first rounder. Weight's salary is just so large that LA, though Weight would be a great fit, would be really reluctant to absorb it, especially when they're losing the 11th overall.

I would agree that Weight for the 11th pick straight up isn't very likely to happen, but I guess you never know... can't blame me for being willing to take a swap like that if it's offered, can ya? ;)

I had the same reaction to the guy who proposed in his mock draft that Philly would swap their first-round pick at 21st overall for Tkachuk. Not realistic, but I'll sure take it if it comes along...

DW

May 3, 2003
MN
Visit site
Minnesota won't take a defenseman as I keep saying, they have a philosophy going...You can teach defense but not offense...They will take a forward...

It is a certainty we'll take a forward. It might be the only certainty the Wild may reach for next season.

Divine Wind

punchy1 said:
14. Edmonton Oilers - Wes Oniel (They look at Green and chose Oniel)

28. Edmonton Oilers (PHI) - Evan McGrath (Should have gone higher up than this. The Oilers are happy again)

If Picard is still on the board when the Oilers step up to the podium, he shall be an oiler moments later IMO. I see us drafting a Dman with our 2nd 1st round pick, who ever of Shultz/Smid/Lymin/Meszaros/Lepisto/Valabik is left, then try and move up in the 2nd round to Secure Dubnyk, who they are high on, and rank him 3rd overall of all goalies in the draft.

1) Skilled forward
2) Offensive defensemen
3) Goaltender

That is the order i think you will see the Oilers draft this year. Just an Oilers fan's thoughts...

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
Remember though, this is the draft that has my more way out and looney results. If you go to my first Mock you would see what I truly think.

TVanek26*

I would love Wolski but Atlanta taking a goalie when they have other needs?(Center and defense IMO)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
punchy1 said:
I stand by my first mock and will leave it alone now until draft day but, as the days go by, there are certainly interesting pieces of information that pop up about prospects and how Gms and others feel about them that could influence their selection spot.

Here then is my "what might be" draft. Have at it mates.

1. Washington Capitols - Alexander Ovechkin (of course, no reason to mess about)

I am one of those who believe the Caps could well deal both of the later picks they have and one of their goalie prospects before draft day. I could easily see a team like the Kings or better still, the Ducks trading their 7th pick to the Caps for the chance to drop down and get two first round picks this year.

The Caps would be happy to do this because they are loaded with talent and could truly use a player like Tukonen in their system right now. The Ducks have allot of talented young lads that are ready and don't have any glaring needs so they can pick up the two later picks to padd a loaded system.

Of course, being a King fan, I can appreciate the Caps taking all three picks as well. The Kings did twice and I fancy it will start paying big dividends in a year or so.

As much as I'd love to see Tukonen in a Capitals uni, I'm almost expecting McPhee to trade up rather for Barker or Thelen.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
Dr_Gonz0 said:
If Picard is still on the board when the Oilers step up to the podium, he shall be an oiler moments later IMO. I see us drafting a Dman with our 2nd 1st round pick, who ever of Shultz/Smid/Lymin/Meszaros/Lepisto/Valabik is left, then try and move up in the 2nd round to Secure Dubnyk, who they are high on, and rank him 3rd overall of all goalies in the draft.

1) Skilled forward
2) Offensive defensemen
3) Goaltender

That is the order i think you will see the Oilers draft this year. Just an Oilers fan's thoughts...

don't be locked into Dubnyk as their 3rd favorite.

He could be, but:

- things could have changed
- they could be misdirecting

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Dr_Gonz0 said:

If they think he's the 3rd best goalie and given it's a very strong year for goalies you think they'd take him with their second 1st rounder. Not sure Dubnyk will slip into the 2nd round...

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Did i read Correctly, you have Atlanta taking a goalie? sure Schwarz hes the best goalie in the draft but the thrashers have the best prospect player in the NHL in Kari Lehtonen.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Nice mock, but I'm not sure Nashville would pass up Chipper at 16 for Picard. Chipper represents a major need. And while every team could use scoring, Nashville did finish 12th overall in goals. We also have two top notch snipers in our system. But We have no one on our big squad or in the future like Chipper. We just don't have any big, talented centerman. And the Preds aren't exactly enamored with the Q. We haven't drafted someone from Quebec since our first draft and while Picard isn't your typical Q player, Chipper just makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad