Pulse of HF-Wrestling

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So instead of weird old threads for bot responses, figured we'd get a new idea about a year later on how everyone is doing. IMO - Raw has improved. SD is still a little bit all over the map. 205 is great. The network has improved slightly. NJPW is fantastic. The indy scene is still impressive. And on top of that we get AEW coming to it's biggest event ever AND television a month later. Oh want more? NXT, IMO the best wrestling i've ever seen, is moving to a 2 hour cable spot.

So much has changed in such little time. So I ask you - where are you with your love of wrestling? Has it spiked up from last year? Down? Where do you think you will be in another year? Let's hear your take on the industry of wrestling right now.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And as I said - i've spiked up tremendously. I will be full time watching NXT and AEW. I'll read results/listen to podcasts of Raw/SD. I'll tune in occasionally for the WWE PPVs. So my interest is way up and hype is way up.

I, unfortunately, still cannot connect with NJPW. I enjoy the matches but I just cannot connect on a full time basis. But you cannot deny the amazing talent/wrestling going on.

So from where I was last year to this year... wow. Considerable difference. I cannot wait to fully invest in NXT/AEW.

Reactions: BonMorrison

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
zero interest in WWE main roster except Fiend

surprisingly low interest in NXT lately even though the product is good

hype for AEW is reducing all the time tbh, but I hope it lives up

tbh im just not in a wrestling place right now. theres nothing big I want to watch wrestling for. Punk brought me back but now there aint much. maybe when AEW weekly starts up

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Since WM:

I have watched 0 RAWs or Smackdowns in their entirety.

I have watched part of all WWE PPVs, but none in its entirety.

I have watched both Takeovers, but no full NXT shows.

I have watched all 3 AEW shows in their entirety.

I have reached a certain apathy. I have hope for AEW and I'll still watch every Takeovers.

Reactions: ColePens

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It’s still background noise.

I only care about The Fiend.

I haven’t paid attention to full matches in forever. I read up on NJPW results and watch sporadically, but I’m not crazy invested either and it’s my favourite promotion. I don’t want NXT weekly, only the Takeovers, but even then if I miss one I’m not going to go out of my way to watch it in full, and I’m not really caring about AEW for whatever reason.

I’m pretty much totally checked out and when school starts again I’m not even sure WWE programming is background noise anymore.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Since WM:

I have watched 0 RAWs or Smackdowns in their entirety.

I have watched part of all WWE PPVs, but none in its entirety.

I have watched both Takeovers, but no full NXT shows.

I have watched all 3 AEW shows in their entirety.

I have reached a certain apathy. I have hope for AEW and I'll still watch every Takeovers.

Almost this exactly for me. I don't even watch RAW or SDL YouTube highlights unless someone on here or a friend IRL mentions something cool that happened.

I still read RAW recaps but stopped reading SDL recaps. I typically have the PPVs on but only actually pay attention to about half of it.

I am all in for All Out and AEW in general when they start their weekly TV.

Vince has lost me again. Except I still pay for the WWE Network so I guess he really hasn't.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I feel like I'm an odd case...

I consider myself somewhat of an "Attitude Era Purist". Probably similar to weird old school hockey fans that dislike the direction of the sport because there aren't any more bench clearing brawls? I actually spent my childhood thinking wrestling was fake and stupid until I hit middle school. All sorts of kids were running around wearing Steve Austin shirts and I over heard some kid talking about a guy called Undertaker hanging somebody with a noose from a cage. I was intrigued, but not enough to watch. However, on one fateful morning in January 1999 I was flipping through channels while putting on my hockey equipment. I landed on some WWF recap show literally right as the glass shattered for Austin during a clip of Mankind winning the championship for the first time. I was completely mesmerized and had to watch Raw the next day, and tuned in regularly from then on.

I started to tune out when they "unified" the hardcore title, did all the silly brand split drafts and re-drafts and started to (at least from my view) become WCW. And I absolutely HATED Lesnar and Cena's seemingly immediate pushes to the top. I think the last thing I really tuned in for was the first ECW One Night Stand. Social media kept me aware of some of the happenings and a lot of the PG-era stuff seemed cringey to me. I distinctly remember seeing a video clip of some vignette between HHH and Michaels, where Michaels got a job as a chef or something and then gave sweet chin music to some complaining child. It was worse than the whole Triple H in the casket Katie Vick thing.

Fast forward to more recently... My GF was following some WWE stuff on SnapChat because she watched those Divas shows on E! but never the actual wrestling. One day I heard the Hardy Boyz music come from her phone, and it was some snap about their return at WM33 the night before. That Attitude Era nostalgia made me tune in to Raw when she and I were watching TV that night. I probably spent most of it lamenting how much better I think the Attitude Era is, while she actually enjoyed watching. We (I'm usually just already on the couch) now usually watch at least the first hour of Raw and Smackdown, and I got a Network subscription so she can watch PPV's and I can relive the Attitude Era. :dunno:

Admittedly, I'm not really a big fan of today's WWE product, although I am trying. But just from my observation:

-The matches are mostly super slow and boring and I absolutely hate how they go to commercials in the middle of them. How about we go back to 5-10 minute matches between commercials and showcase more talent? It's crazy to me when a Raw/Smackdown opens with a match and then it's still going a half hour into the show....
-What happened to some of the more creative big finishing moves? The "Superman Punch" and that stupid head stomp thing Seth Rollins does are LAME.
-I don't know why, but I absolutely despise most of their "top" talent (Reigns, Rollins, Becky, etc.), but in some ironic twist I'm 100% cool with Lesnar now
-I get why they do it this way, but hitting people with chairs/guitars/etc. just seems silly now that it's just across the back
-The brand split thing is just pointless. It seems as though they regularly showcase less talent than they did prior to buying WCW and having Raw and Smackdown be the two shows. Why not just have one main roster and go back to just calling it "WWE"?
-I saw an Undertaker match for the first time since Bush was President during the most recent Saudi show and I felt HORRIBLE
-Unless it involves Shane McMahon, feuds seem to be really lacking in any sort of build up, or just really short in general
-This new Bray Wyatt thing is great though

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'm kind of a weird fan:

I only read up the news on this board, I watch most of Wrestling with Wregret's videos to be updated and I watch BDW (or whatever the rest of his name is) on Youtube for top spots of the last month. That being said, I'm considering tuning in AEW if the reviews are positive.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
And that was fun too.

It’s a good time to be wrestling fan.
The options are there and hopefully a lot different from each other.

I’m pumped for AEW. I’m pumped for NXT.

I watch all wwe shows but I’m not paying fully attention. I just watch and talk to people while laughing, criticizing or enjoying the show.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think a big issue with waning interest in NXT, is you see these guys built up so well to be huge stars in NXT, and whereas at one point you'd be excited to see them move on, it's brand itself has seen more apathy because they know what is going to happen. There's people who think/know Gargano won't survive on a main roster, but I don't think there's very many people who think Adam Cole will make it as a top star either.

As a result, now NXT is going to be a main brand.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
some programs arent simply that good until they have the take over match and you're blown away as a fan. but not every nxt episode is huge or must watch.
there are talent there that you have to see. but i feel people read the spoilers anyways and miss on the greatness of it when its good.

the live move should probably help

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I think Raw has been decent of late. I have some level of hope that over the next few months it will continue to improve.

Not sure how interested I am with Smackdown going to Fox. Personally I'm of the belief that Fox got carny'd by Vince and they are going to get the exact same mostly talking "Sports Entertainment" crap that hasn't been selling for a long time now.

NXT to TV has the potential to be really good. I've give it a few weeks worth of watch and hope it doesn't devolve into stupidity.

Some reservations about AEW, but I'll at least give some good time to their product.

Sure does suck that ROH is ass now, I hope that NXT/AEW are good on TV, or else I guess I'm going NJPW.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Love NXT, there’s a small handful of guys on the main roster I like and I’ll watch their shit.

Genuinely curious about AEW. I don’t know what to expect.

Interest in NJPW all but gone.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I think it's almost as high as it's ever been but it's mostly because of NJPW and now AEW. I'll also watch the odd Takeover or at least the top matches from it, never live, but I don't watch NXT weekly. And I really only watch RR and Mania WWE, and it's been that way probably the last 3 or so years or since I started watching NJPW and ROH regularly (have barely watched ROH since the MSG show, it's a sinking ship. Even as a huge Scurll fan.)

Couldn't tell you the last time I'd watch RAW or SD, save the RAWs after Mania. I did watch clips of the reunion show that. And some 24/7 Title/FFH on youtube. I stay up to date only via these boards.

So as I said in my first sentence. Almost as high as it's ever been, although I doubt I'll ever have the time/want to be invested as much as I did as a kid in the Attitude/RE era.
And it's only that way because of non-WWE. And the ease of access to it via the internet. If it wasn't for randomly coming across NJPW it on AXS back in 2016 to finally see with my own eyes what people on these boards were always talking about (The Bucks/BTE also helped), my wrestling fandom would probably be as low as it was in my mid-to-late teens where I didn't watch at all from like 2007ish to mid-2010.

Last edited:

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I love wrestling. There's tons of it out there, and I watch lots of it.

There are some promotions that I don't like, but that's not a problem. I don't watch them and instead watch the promotions that I enjoy.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Raw: Background noise I watch (on delay) out of habit. There are a couple of recent storylines I have interest in.

Smackdown: Way better than Raw.

NXT: I'm a little annoyed that they don't let the secondary and tertiary stars have extended storylines/feuds. They will engage in feuds but not necessarily have strong reasoning behind it.

205: I used to be a bigger fan. Again, I want characters and storylines. I used to watch during indoor biking, but now my rides are shorter and I end up watching condensed chess games.

AEW: I've only watched occasionally. I don't know that I have it in me to keep track of a whole other org.

Local Wrestling: Hell yes. Once every 2 months or so I see a KSWA show. I love it!

Overall: Pretty high enthusiasm for wrestling. It hurts that my gf is very much NOT into it, but what does she know?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Raw: Background noise I watch (on delay) out of habit. There are a couple of recent storylines I have interest in.

Smackdown: Way better than Raw.

NXT: I'm a little annoyed that they don't let the secondary and tertiary stars have extended storylines/feuds. They will engage in feuds but not necessarily have strong reasoning behind it.

205: I used to be a bigger fan. Again, I want characters and storylines. I used to watch during indoor biking, but now my rides are shorter and I end up watching condensed chess games.

AEW: I've only watched occasionally. I don't know that I have it in me to keep track of a whole other org.

Local Wrestling: Hell yes. Once every 2 months or so I see a KSWA show. I love it!

Overall: Pretty high enthusiasm for wrestling. It hurts that my gf is very much NOT into it, but what does she know?
LOL Me too, especially bold, sub GF for wife and KSWA for CCW(though I follow more than Im able to actually attend)

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Pretty low. From WWE, I’ve only watched Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, and part of SummerSlam. The loss of Lucha Underground has taken wrestling out of my weekly routine, and even then, Season 4 was a major decline from Seasons 1-3. I try to watch all the big matches from Pentagon Jr. so I’ll probably keep up with AEW. Still try to go to Shimmer weekend every time I can. Bummed that Nicole Matthews can’t come to the United States.

Twitter is pretty good at keeping me aware of everything though.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’m excited for AEW.

I’ll be down to AEW and NXT I think come October.

Nothings really changed with the WWE main roster. A slight uptick in average quality since Heyman took over, but I was hoping for more. I’ll keep an eye on it, and still watch it if I’ve got nothing else going on, but I’m not as invested anymore.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->